ok weve been argueing lately about pop punk. does it really matter if a song is pretty much 80% or 100% chords? i mean as long as theyre great songs it shouldnt really matter. i dunno, i guess hes just branching off into metal. ok like i listen to metal too but...theres nothing wrong with simplicity is there?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
No. Zombie is like, four chords and it's a really effective song. Not everything in a song is about solo or guitar wankery.
I replied in the other thread....There isn't anything wrong with simplicity, it's called minimalism and said style has produced many many great songs. Technique isn't half as important to making a great song as emotion is....
As long as it sounds good. Greenday is made up of pretty much all power chords, but they have a huge fanbase.
so pretty much you're saying you aren't good enough to play metal, but your bassist wants you to?
Blur - Song 2
The Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop

definately not. those two songs are amazing and are just chords.
Quote by slingbox
I'm a huge believer in the whole "if it sounds good, go for it" thing.

+1
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
You guys should have been arguing about English grammar.

I personally like my music a little more complex; I don't hear music, I listen to it, and I can spot shoddy musicianship.

But I'm a minority. There's the other huge part of the population that couldn't care less about music's complexity. If it's got a catchy song, then it's good.

I'm not arguing for one or the other.
not everything has to be necrophagist or symphony x.Behemoth is metal and they really don't have anything technical and use chords a lot.in fact many times restraint is a good thing.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
god, i hate people like that...

Why?
I also like music a little more complex and crafted. I don't mind if the chord progression is a little more obscure, but there's a limit to how many songs with open chords and power chords that i can listen to
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
maybe he is getting bored of simple things. personally for me i cant stand just playing easy songs cus it really does make all the hours of practice pointless if your just gonna do chords or simple lead lines.
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen
No, in fact even some metal is rather simplistic. We call it "Nu-metal."
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by david_highland
I replied in the other thread....There isn't anything wrong with simplicity, it's called minimalism and said style has produced many many great songs. Technique isn't half as important to making a great song as emotion is....

Clicky here please
Also,if you would click here I would appreciate it

Simplicity can be great;The Ramones,for example-a few chords and some epic songs.
Music needs to be rly complicated just like the Internet needs to be rly serious business.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
so long as it has some lush vocals and vocal melodies then a few simple chords are fine imo
Quote by slingbox
I'm a huge believer in the whole "if it sounds good, go for it" thing.

+ 1000,

Two Steps Behind-Def Leppard (not too sure if correct spelling)
The White Stripes

To me i favour melody more and emotion.
simplicity in some cases is quite hard to achieve,

example, I could write iron maiden-esk lead runs and awesome solos before I could put together my own simple 3 chord progression, mostly because i avoided all pop-punk when i was teaching myself to play.

there was a time when i was jealous of pop-punk bands for being able to just play chords and make it sound good,

but i've gotten over that hump and four years on i'm back to wishing i could be super complex and crazy like (insert famous shredder here)
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
If you are listening to it then no. If you are playing it then yes... Since your hand will get tied quickly...
music is like eating to me. somtimes junkfood is great but from time to time a real nice menu is great, too. everything got its right to exists.