Yes, it is true. Here is my story:

I bought my Ashdown Five Fifteen in January, along with my first ever bass guitar. I was happy as anyone else starting bass should be. One week into my bass playing, my amp started distorting. It was a really fuzzy sort of distortion, and the volume kinda goes up and down while it distorts. So I take it to where I bought it from (still covered by warranty) and it gets fixed about 7 weeks later.

All was good again, for about a week and a half... It made the same stupid distortion again. I decide to take it to the music store again. They do exactly what they did before when they were trying it out, put all the knobs to 5, use their bass and their leads, but it is working fine. They guy tells me that it was my bass or my lead that was the problem. Since he can't find it at fault, he can't do anything and tells me to take it home. I plug it back in again at home and it works fine!?!? What is going on?

This time, I managed to get about 3 or so weeks out of it before I got that same distorted noise. This time, I go to the music shop prepared. I bring all my leads, my bass and my amp. I even filmed the amp distorting on my phone. They plug everything up and they get a fine sound. I showed them the video on my phone and they believed me that the amp was at fault. They were really nice and decided to leave the amp at the store all day in case it randomly decided to distort again. After a few hours, I got a call from them saying the amp made the same sound as it did on my phone when one of the guys decided to stand on it (I don't know why they did either lol). They sent it away and I played unplugged for another 8 weeks or so.

I picked up the amp just over a week ago. And you guessed it. The exact same distortion again. It has been shipped off twice and caused me so much hassle. I have spent more time playing unplugged than playing with an amp. I am going to take it to the shop again and ask for store credit. I was kinda joking when I said I wanted Behringer, but I definetly don't want an ashdown. Just something that won't break. I payed $400 Australian dollars for it. Some amps in my price range include a 15w Peavy, a 30 watt Warwick amp and a few behringer amps. Not much choice at all...

Any ideas how I should spend this money. I would rather buy a nice 2nd hand amp, but I haven't got any money at all for spending, except for the store credit. The story wasn't really necessary, but I thought I would share how much ashdown has pissed me off, it is one of the weirdest things I have ever owned.

EDIT: I always played it with the knobs mostly at around 1/2 way. It was not too much input gain making the distortion. I might try and put a clip up later.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Last edited by grobbo91 at Jun 6, 2008,
*smack yo faec*

There was a really sad/funny review I read on Musiciansfriend about a Behringer amp that started an electrical fire that literally burned his house down.

So don't get behringers, not only will they sound like **** BUT ALSO they will destroy your **** too.

Get the Warwick amp
yeah...I had a behringer...

lets just say...it was the worse 100 bucks I spent ever...

I've found better amps at garage sales...that behringer blew out on me in a matter of a few months, and before that the effects stopped working...
why does everyone hate behringer??!?
Gear:
Ibanez Jet King III
Marlin Sidewinder
Behringer El Toro Electric
(cheap) Acoustic Guitar.
Blue G4M Bass Guitar.
G4M Bass Amp.
Behringer GM108 Guitar Amp
A sense of humour
Quote by rhyzzz

I really don't know. probably cause they make some good and bad stuff, so if they have tried something that was bad, they think it's all bad. and a lot of people think it's bad just because it's cheap I guess. also, if a few people here on UG say that they don't like it, lots of people that don't know it will say the same.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
cuz behringer is the worst company ever, hands down. literally none of their products work.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

Quote by Shakalum
cuz behringer is the worst company ever, hands down. literally none of their products work.

well, how often have you tried something of them?
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by rhyzzz

Their quality is very hit and miss to start with also, when they list the amp wattage they list the peak wattage not the root-mean-squared, the average wattage.
This means they're overrating the amp's power.
Just do a quick search and you will find a heap of reasons, some better that others, but those are my main 2 problems with them.
my first amp was a behringer and i've never had any problem with it!
Gear:
Ibanez Jet King III
Marlin Sidewinder
Behringer El Toro Electric
(cheap) Acoustic Guitar.
Blue G4M Bass Guitar.
G4M Bass Amp.
Behringer GM108 Guitar Amp
A sense of humour
to the threadstarter,

whats the input level? if you have it too high, you'll overdrive the preamp and get distortion. When they plugged in their basses at the shop, they probably played it correctly.

also if you turn it up very loud you should expect to hear distortion from the poweramp section!

its weird that'd happen to the same amp over and over again after several fixes. If i were you, i would try and get a full refund, then buy a new Five Fifteen, the chances of two Five Fifteens having the same problem is very unlikely.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've heard the same bassist play through the same behringer amp with the same bass, at two different gigs. The first time, it was OK, actually sounded like your typical Trace Elliot workhorse tone, and the second time it was brilliant - really defined and growly.

I imagine that the reliability stories concerning Behringer are a bit overdone, as usually the people who buy Behringer don't treat the amp well - drive it too hard etc. If you treat it as you should (eg don't turn the volume past 3/4 way, don't throw it about etc) it should work just fine. That band's bassist I was telling you about has had his for two years and it's still going strong!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Hey, I managed to get the distortion with all the knobs at 1/2 way. I know what happens when the input is turned up, but it is a completely different sound to that. The first time it was fixed, it made the noise straight away and he arranged to get it fixed in like a minute. The only peavey amp I saw was about $200, so it was probably only 10 or 15 watts. The ashdown was 100 watts, but it seemed really quiet (I haven't tried many other bass amps though, so I have nothing to compare it to.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by grobbo91
Hey, I managed to get the distortion with all the knobs at 1/2 way. I know what happens when the input is turned up, but it is a completely different sound to that. The first time it was fixed, it made the noise straight away and he arranged to get it fixed in like a minute. The only peavey amp I saw was about $200, so it was probably only 10 or 15 watts. The ashdown was 100 watts, but it seemed really quiet (I haven't tried many other bass amps though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm sorry I can't help more, i only know the basics of what goes on inside an amp so I cant really help.

Dont you get an invoice when you recieve your amp back from fixing stating the problem and how they "fixed" it?

About the power output, the five fifteen out the box is giving you 50W of power, it needs another speaker to produce the whole 100W it has available. This is why there is an "extension speaker output" on the panel on the top.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer studio stuff is actually alright, you get what you pay for but it does last. Behringer amps however, don't. I had a BX1200 which broke, I have a friend who had some other Behringer guitar amp, it broke. Plus, the tone leaves a lot to be desired. If you're just looking for something cheap and temporary that will make a noise, go for Behringer but if you're looking for something that will last you a long time and sounds good, do not get a Behringer.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
My guitarist has a Behringer. All I have to say is, the stories are true. The sound sucks, He has to kick it to get the pedal and tuner to work, It has unbearable hiss. It's supposed to be something like 120 watts yet my friends 15 watt I swear gets just as loud, If not louder.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Not all Behringer stuff sucks though. I like their MIDI controllers and their rack equipment. Hell, even their PAs are rather nice.

Its just that when ever they try and do anything that has to do with BASS GUITAR, it fails horribly.
Okay, so I randomly tried the amp out this morning... and it worked?

I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not anymore. I don't want it to keep randomly distorting, but if it works, then I won't be able to get a refund. The Laney RB amps look nice but I have never seen one before.

I remember the guy at the music shop saying that they replaced a fuse in it or something like that.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Quote by grobbo91
I remember the guy at the music shop saying that they replaced a fuse in it or something like that.

Wouldn't have been a fuse, a blown fuse means there will be no sound at all. Hell, the amp wont even turn on.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
That is weird, I am 99% sure that the guy said something about a fuse. It has been to the Ashdown repair place two times before, I really hoped that they should have been able to fix it by now. Is it possible that it has some really bad wiring that it can be bumped out of place, causing the distortion, and then be bumped back into place so it sounds clean again? Because it always seems to work again after I move it somewhere, maybe bumping the amp while I moved it does something to the inside of it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

As it's been said before, Behringer is hit and miss. Tone is mostly subjective, so that's not really part of the equation. Sure, you won't get the same tone out of your 15w Behringer that you would a Trace Elliot full stack, but to the noob, Behringer is good tone.

TS, look at the Warwick and Peavey amps, both solid companies.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I have a behringer 15w as a stand in untill I get a big amp, and besides, it was only $NZ100 (like $US60), so even if it does hiss constantly, its worth the cheapness.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Behringer is cheap for a reason - its ****.

All of their pedals sound terrible and break easily (other companies make their pedals out of metal, i wonder why that is? ). Their amps, as has already been said, are overrated in terms of power, and are poorly constructed. They sound cheap...

To everyone saying "why do you hate behringer? they sound fine..." and "what else have you tried?", what have you tried to compare your 'ok' behringer sound to? I'd rather save and save and save and play through a tank of an amp with awesome tone than buy a behringer and have it die a month later.
I have a Behringer Bass amp and it's pretty good. I got a Behringer distortion pedal and it broke like in 2 weeks. The thing I hate most about Behringer is I have no idea how to pronounce the company's name.
"Bear-in-jer" or"sh-it" take your pick...

Their stuff is 'OK' is your a beginer and have not develop the understanding to hear a 'good tone'. i played through crap gear for years when i was a guitarist and never has a problem (yay..punk!). But now im taking music a little more seriously, i can wait till i can afford great gear.
I managed to return it, and this time I will be getting store credit instead of another broken amp. I will most likely go for the Warwick 30 watt amp. That will leave me with a bit left over hopefully.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Quote by grobbo91
I managed to return it, and this time I will be getting store credit instead of another broken amp. I will most likely go for the Warwick 30 watt amp. That will leave me with a bit left over hopefully.

If you liked the Ashdown when it was working, get another one? The chances of there being the same fault is very low.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by rhyzzz

because their products have a 88% chance of failing....true fact right there..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
i don't know if i'm alone here or not but IMO for the price of their amps behringer isn't a bad company, i've been playing bass for about 5 years now and have had several amps, my first amp was a behringer and i still have it, it still has a decent tone and i haven't ever had a problem with it, yes alot of their amps do fail and they over state the wattage, all it takes to find a good amp is to take what the company tells you with a grain of salt. my behringer has lasted longer than any of my other amps in fact.
I have a behringer BXL3000A. It was a kind of last resort thing because my old amp died on me and I needed it to gig so i got it second hand quite cheap(I knew the guy who owned it before and he looked after it well). I have to say tone wise it isn't amazing and I don't expect it to last very long but I really don't have the money to get something better. I will get a better amp once I do have the money because i know I can do a lot better.

Oh and I've been playing for like six years so I do have decent opinions on tone and the like.
Down from the Glen came the Marching Men
With their sheilds and their swords
To fight the fight they believed to be right
Overthrow the overlords...
I have had a BXL3000 for the last 1.5 years, had no problems with it, though when you turn it up the tone does go to crap, but it was cheap and what I was able to afford at the time. What I dont like is the personal attacks on people whom own said equipment, but I guess you get that in life and on the inet. But, happy with that than no amp at all. Take it easy all
Another "look at me, UG! I'm ignoring your advice!" thread.

We give you our own opinions. Not guarantees. Not promises. You can buy what you want. It's your money. We don't care.

So with that in mind, I'd recommend you avoid Behringer, or whatever 15W rubbish the shop has and look around for used Peavey or something else solid that gets the job done on a budget.
The only Behringer I've ever heard good things about is their foot controller. I've even considered getting one myself. I have a BX1200 amp that I no longer use (see my sig for my current equipment), and my brother plays his bass through a BXL450 or something like that. His amp has a kind of drivey sound that isn't really full-sounding at all but could be okay in a few situations. The BX1200 sounds like a piece of ****. It sounds like the speaker cone is made out of toilet paper.
I know you already returned the Ashdown and plan on getting a Warwick 30 (shame on your smb for not reading the thread ), but did you check your input jack of the amp/bass? Sometimes, problems of that description come from shoddy input jacks - which cheap amps cheap out on.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
So it turns out that the guy who actually owns the music shop didn't want to give me store credit. They might just get ashdown to send me a brand new amp instead of fixing mine again.

I wasn't really going to buy a behringer, it was just a fail at sarcasm, behringer just seemed like a much better option than ashdown at the moment. And the second time I got it fixed, I bought my bass there as well and they said that the bass was fine, it was definetly the amp.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200