I want to bring up a recent discussion I had with some folks in our scene and circuit around here that I think is a good point and is an alright topic.

Playing shows and meeting a lot of kids and seeing what is happening I feel that this generation of punk is just as crucial as any in the punk. With as much happening political and socially I think that the direct of punk is imparative in this age.

A lot of bands I hear and see and play with are following a code of complaint against what is wrong and the social state of humanity and politics. While this is a great way to write music and to try and educate others in the scene about what current events are I am concerned that this isn't the best route in going anyway.

I truly think that this generation needs to write more and educate more about what needs to happen more than what is wrong with everything. We need solutions. Its not hard to complain about the government and a lot of song writers in punk are great doing it but I think this scene needs to take it up and write music about solutions to fix the problems instead of a complaint rock genre.

This is experienced has been shared with a lot others that were in the scene where punk started and a lot agree that this generation is crucial to the state of punk.

I don't know what you all think and I'm not saying punk bands don't write about a better way to do things or how to fix problems I'm just saying in a general state punk bands now are still trying to write lyrics about the holes in politics and social life and I think a more broad variety of bands should be doing this.

Also... Drink your Olde English. Its good for the body. And posting.
I agree, complaining is easy, getting a problem solved isn't

good post!

Greetz,
zerodeck
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vixen
Ibanez RG7321
Cort G210
Epiphone Les Paul 1956 Goldtop
Laboga Mr. Hector
Randall 4x12
Boss MT 2
Boss BD 2
Boss DD3
Korg Pitchblack
I think alot of bands within the folk/anarcho/crust scene are doing just that...

Either that, or they're actually participating in various forms of activism which is a bit more important.
I agree with you. My band is a Oi Punk band (which started out as just a punk band)
but lead singer has his own way etc) and because we are an Oi band I'm expected to write political songs. Which I don't mind but they get too tedious.

But I feel that we should write about not only political and worldwide problems, but our own problems and maybe ignore our problems and write about having a good time, having fun, just living life.
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

I think the state of punk right now is pretty good. A lot of folk, anarcho, and crust(don't like it) punk bands seem to be activists and are doing just what you said they should do. The music is great too, and that's what's most important to me.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I thought Jordan was the only person designated to deliver the State of the P0nx Address.
I don't really like the music anymore.

I'm not into any of the prevalent modern subgenres.

The modern bands I like are more likely to be in the realm of Hip Hop, Indie, or Pop.

Most modern punk is kinda...

preachy.

And Dull.

I don't try very hard to find modern punk though.
^You should! It's tasty
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
i like music that sings about hope (like ghost mice) more than just whining. thats why i don't listen to crass or the dead kennedys as often anymore (although i still love the music), because to me it seems they just bitch.

Jack my swag
Quote by gopherthegreat
i like music that sings about hope (like ghost mice) more than just whining. thats why i don't listen to crass or the dead kennedys as often anymore (although i still love the music), because to me it seems they just bitch.

I agree with that. I'm really tired of hearing about how the government is fucking us over, because I've heard it at least one thousand times. I think it's good when bands back up their statements with activism, but otherwise, they only really need one or two political songs. Though weren't both the Dead Kennedys and Crass fairly active?

I basically feel that, unless you're setting out to tell a story, you should be singing what you're living, and if you're not living your political lectures, don't sing them. But when it all comes down to it, I like songs that are a bit less than political most of the time.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I basically feel that, unless you're setting out to tell a story, you should be singing what you're living, and if you're not living your political lectures, don't sing them. But when it all comes down to it, I like songs that are a bit less than political most of the time.

I like songs about zombie vs. robot wars.
Quote by gopherthegreat

i dislike hypocritical bands that tell all the kids to go out and think thier way but dosent practice wat they preach or wont make an effort for thier "cause" Jello ran for mayor an Crass lived in a commune. Sounds like they are pretty supportive of thier beliefs to me and dont just bitch.
its hard to do anything but complain

it's not as though you can turn an economic stimulus plan into a 2 minute punk song
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Cameronrobson
talk - action = 0

yay D.O.A.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by devourthekitten
I think I'm going to make a phallus fillet.
Quote by RizzoWashburn
^You should! It's tasty

Tr00 dat.

Negative music is best. It gets people mad, and then they might want to do something instead of be happy about everything.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I forgot all about that site.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown