yeah, so me and my band played a song at school for the demission and it was nearly a disaster

not because we made any mistakes, but the guys who where in charge of the sound control table SUCKED
first they won't let us have the volume we needed to be heard over the drums. We solve this by raising our own separate mix table (it was connected like follow: guitars>little mix table>big mix table).

then they won't raise the sound of the effing microphone!
with the mic directly plugged in to the big table there was nothing we could do to it

have anybody else experienced something like this?
You like it
I've had exactly the same problem. The sound guys were always too careful with the sound so the only response i've got is "that was really good, but was there a solo in the song, 'cause you couldn't hear a thing".
yeah, I always bring my own sound guy to gigs, and he actually runs the board.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Hi, welcome to the world of ****ty sound dudes!
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

same with me. our sound guy is practicaly a member of out band
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
I was doin sound for a gig last nite and it was awful. im not saying im the best sound engineer in the world but im pretty good at what i do. but the system i was using was awful. for a start, half the connections werent working, the mics were low quality, the speakers were not designed for that volume so everything was distorted cause i had 2 crank it up 2 let the singers be heard over the backline and drums.

plus some of the bands didnt hav their own stuff, one band didnt even show, and we had 2 do drum changeovers.

I was close 2 punching sum1 right in the face
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Quote by TonyS42
I was doin sound for a gig last nite and it was awful. im not saying im the best sound engineer in the world but im pretty good at what i do. but the system i was using was awful. for a start, half the connections werent working, the mics were low quality, the speakers were not designed for that volume so everything was distorted cause i had 2 crank it up 2 let the singers be heard over the backline and drums.

plus some of the bands didnt hav their own stuff, one band didnt even show, and we had 2 do drum changeovers.

I was close 2 punching sum1 right in the face

ouw, that must've felt bad
You like it
Quote by linus.d
ouw, that must've felt bad

whats even worse, is that the drummer for one of those bands is playing bass for a band who is booked in for 15 hours in my recording studio. and im a way better studio engineer than i am live one. So i was getting such a bad name, all cause the venue had the worst PA in the plannet, get this, they didnt even hav microphone clips for the mic stands (which the girl had 2 go find behind the bar) so i had 2 use tape.
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
To be fair, it was a school so they are going to have crappy equipment to work with. But still, a good soundguy can make bad equipment at least listen-to-able and get the volume levels right.

I played one school gig and there was this band of 12 year olds... it was harsh the soundguy kept yelling at them and they got really nervous and screwed up.
band sound guy = win

our dude is mad, been with us since we started,

and we save on the booking fee cause he replaces the hired sound guy for every band at every show we play

means cheaper entry, means more kids, means more fun...

I can honestly say I've never had a shït FOH mix in my live career, and it's all thanks to Vinnie

MajorEdit: And furthermore, as a sound guy myself (when I'm not playing) I find there are only two excuses for a bad mix. 1. bad equipment, that one's pretty obvious and 2. Annoying bands. To explain this, I was doing sound for a small show at my local youth center, for free no-less and I had to take the day off work, so it cost me $150 to work this gig, but I'm good friends with the guy who runs it so I let that go.

I got there at midday and set up the PA organized my cables and connections and wrote up a set-list and change over sheet to make sure the night runs smoothly. The bands are supposed to show up at 3 for sound-check so when does the first band arrive? 5:45 for a 6pm show. I'm a reasonable person so I went out and just told them to be quick and quiet. what do they do? have a smoke and complain that we're rushing them. The manager told me to just cancel and tell the bands to fück off. I took the better option, I let them load in set up sound check all that cräp, and just when they start playing my fingers were hard at work randomly moving all of my levels to make them sound like crap. Those bands with my expert sound killing help repelled people from the venue. We refused to pay them as they breached the contract by arriving late. Thus the night cost us nothing and we made 3 slack bands sound like the crap that they are.

Don't. ****. With. The. Sound Guy!
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Jun 6, 2008,
I've had some recent bad experience with sound guys. A couple of weeks back I was playing at the local pub with my band and its only a very small place however they had a 4.8KW PA which was ridiculous. The sound guy kept refusing to turn the volume down and it was just a distorted mess and also for some reason whilst boosting everything up he turned my keyboard down. It was a complete disaster.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
At my old high school they do several band nights each year and they don't have qualified people on the sound board. The bands use ~50watt amps because they don't have a PA system that can handle the frequencys, the drums aren't miced, the vocal mics are NEVER loud enough through their ****ty PA system, and they insist on using the "sports hall" which is a HUGE empty space so the amount of reverb and echo you get makes every sound blend into a piece of ****.

And when nearly all the bands are incredibly **** (They don't plan what they write, everthing atonal and off beat.) it just sounds so bad.

I'm studying music tech. and I'm standing at the back of the hall yelling "FFS TURN THE MICS UP!", "YOU'RE DISTORTING THE VOCALS, AGAIN!", "OH MY GOD, TURN THE GUITARS DOWN SO WE CAN HEAR SOMETHING ELSE!".

It gives me nightmares
A soundcheck beforehand can help preemptively alleviate most problems a soundguy could cause. Set it, and basically forget it as soon as you have the right mix down. It's not the smartest thing in the world, but its better to get it decently right to begin with before any tinkering is done.

Of course, if you don't get the luxury of a soundcheck, then...yeah, blame the soundguy.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
It wasn't to my band, but I was watching my mates band play at the Battle of the Bands and they were drawn first out of the hat, so they played first. Because the sound guy was late they had to play start playing, and the he wasn't there. So they used some random guy who said he knew what he was doing (Load of bull) and you could hear the drums really well. Shame you couldn't hear any other instrument. And the lead vocalist had troubling singin over the back up vocalist. It was disgusting.
*makes mental note to go and recruit a sound guy*
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

I promote independant DIY shows, and I would tell your sound guy to fuck off. If you think you're too good to use the sound person I'm working with, who in most cases is a good friend of mine, I don't need you playing my show.
I promote independant DIY shows, and I would tell your sound guy to fuck off. If you think you're too good to use the sound person I'm working with, who in most cases is a good friend of mine, I don't need you playing my show.

Then you're a prick. Their sound guy will be able to get the levels they want much quicker and will probably be a good friend of theirs too.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
Then you're a prick. Their sound guy will be able to get the levels they want much quicker and will probably be a good friend of theirs too.

I don't like to work with bands who are presumptuous enough to think they need their own sound person.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like to work with bands who are presumptuous enough to think they need their own sound person.

How is that presumptuous? They're not necessarily making any kind of remark about you or your venue, they probably find their sound guy easier to work with.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
How is that presumptuous? They're not necessarily making any kind of remark about you or your venue, they probably find their sound guy easier to work with.

I would take that as a remark about my sound guy.

I also doubt a lot of sound guys would let strangers touch their equipment.

Although I've never heard of any band playing around here with such poor etiquette.
Quote by break-me-in

Exactly. And they'd be able to get their shit together quickly, because they know what they want, so it saves time.
Quote by break-me-in

+1
i always do my mates band because i know how they want to sound
now extra flamey
Sound guys are full of lol, sometimes at a gig all the bands pull straws and whoever
gets the smallest has to piss them of, but only if they're annoying.
Last edited by anal_parasite at Jun 6, 2008,
I think there's valid points in both arguments.

In some cases, there is an established soundguy, who actually knows what they're doing behind the board. Most of the time, if not usually, it's his PA equipment/he's responsible for the upkeep of the PA setup.

Now, there are bands who have a guy that knows what to look for in sound or does run their personal PA/live sound.

In these cases, I've never seen any harm in both working together behind the board. The guy who knows his band's sound tells it to the guy there in your basic terms, and the soundguy should be able to translate it over into results rather easily. Some soundguys are rather touchy about their equipment, and that's understandable. I don't let random people touch my bass, that's for sure.

In any case, I always make it a point to say hey and talk a bit with the soundguy (if there's an established one), and let him know what I'm looking for in my live sound unobtrusively. If you're cool about it, he/she'll do the job and will add their own personal touches throughout the performance.

If I find the soundguy is just a lackey set behind the shiny looking knobs, then I'll step in and do work.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you