I'm fairly new to elec guitar and I'm learning chords and sh*t quite well, however I want to be up on the theory but know nothing about scales. I understand that practising scales is really important, but what the hell are they?

yours,

Dumb-ass
scales basically are a series of notes put together to make a specific sound or theme. There are scales that work for egyptian sounding mucic, oriental music, etc. If you are wanting to learn some of these scales (it really does help to know them) then i'd suggest starting off with learning the major scale (absolutely necessary for learning music theory), then pentatonics (both major and minor, used primarily in rock music), adding another note to the minor pentatonic gives the blues scale (so one learning minor pentatonic you will also know the blues scale basically) then harmonic minor and melodic minor (I think both used a lot in various forms of metal music mostly) and go from there. Those are some of the more popular scales. If you google each of the scales names you should find something that will help you to learn them, failing that find yourself a good book dude.

So pentatonic scale in the Key of A (ie played over a chord progression that resolves, or sounds good landing on the note A) is the notes A, C, D, E, G, then the octave of A and repeats. So there are only 5 notes in this scale, you can play it anywhere on the neck that you can find these notes. Playing this will give a really good sound in a rock song in the key of A.

Hope any of this helps you get started
Quote by Helpy Helperton
scales basically are a series of notes put together to make a specific sound or theme. There are scales that work for egyptian sounding mucic, oriental music, etc. If you are wanting to learn some of these scales (it really does help to know them) then i'd suggest starting off with learning the major scale (absolutely necessary for learning music theory), then pentatonics (both major and minor, used primarily in rock music), adding another note to the minor pentatonic gives the blues scale (so one learning minor pentatonic you will also know the blues scale basically) then harmonic minor and melodic minor (I think both used a lot in various forms of metal music mostly) and go from there. Those are some of the more popular scales. If you google each of the scales names you should find something that will help you to learn them, failing that find yourself a good book dude.

So pentatonic scale in the Key of A (ie played over a chord progression that resolves, or sounds good landing on the note A) is the notes A, C, D, E, G, then the octave of A and repeats. So there are only 5 notes in this scale, you can play it anywhere on the neck that you can find these notes. Playing this will give a really good sound in a rock song in the key of A.

Hope any of this helps you get started

Wow thanks Helperton, your name is so apt haha
Actually practicing scales isn't really all that important, however understanding them is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Wow thanks Helperton, your name is so apt haha

no problem, when someone asks a sensible question i give sensible answers, any other time i just talk garbage