Page 1 of 3
I mean like what sounds heavy in a song?Speed? rythm? or just as much sounds as possible at one time?

I`ve never thought speed means heavy tough many people do.I dont find CoB stuff heavy but metallica`s sad but true is...heavy for me so what sounds heavy in a song?
All Hail The New Flesh - Strapping Young Lad.

/thread?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
when it feels there's a wall rushing towards you from the speakers - that's heavy
You like it
Low tunings, dark riffs, lots of distortion, drums in half time, drums in double time, really fast guitar solos, all that stuff will make a heavy song. Hope that helps!
Dominant drums. Distorted and fast guitars with complex rhythms. Yelling, screaming or growling. Bass lines that mainly follow the roots of guitar chords (excluding bands like Necrophagist).
Speed =/= Heaviness

I find the heaviest songs are the slower tempo ones that sound more deliberate in their execution. With fast songs, it's just like pummelling. With slower "heavier" songs, it's "I'm grabbing your skull and slowly squeezing your brain out through your eyes. Why? Because it hurts more, you twit"
Quote by Martindecorum
The Use of very powerful chords with hard drums

So far i`m most agreed with you... as i said fast rythms dont always feel heavy to me nor do growling vocals
what i've experienced is that it's not the guitar that makes stuff heavy, it's the drums and the bass

but still, tune two steps down and play some technical death metal with complex time stamps/rhythms and you might sound heavy as well (powerchords aren't heavy imo, they're cheap and shouldn't be at the base of a song)
Killswitch Engage - Temple From The Within, Take This Oath breakdown

Its basically a slow tempo groove using a lot of low/bass notes
Quote by numinis
what i've experienced is that it's not the guitar that makes stuff heavy, it's the drums and the bass

but still, tune two steps down and play some technical death metal with complex time stamps/rhythms and you might sound heavy as well (powerchords aren't heavy imo, they're cheap and shouldn't be at the base of a song)

Powerchords are valid techniques, and can be made to sound very heavy indeed. Hell, all these people who bash pop punk and their overuse of powerchords probably don't realise that their beloved metal band that plays in drop B, when they barre and play those fast riffs are actually playing powerchords as well
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Powerchords are valid techniques, and can be made to sound very heavy indeed. Hell, all these people who bash pop punk and their overuse of powerchords probably don't realise that their beloved metal band that plays in drop B, when they barre and play those fast riffs are actually playing powerchords as well

1) I know when I play a powerchord mate, even on a dropped guitar
2) you're right, most bands do but the powerchords should be played occasionally, songs based on power chords (99% of all punk bands) don't sound heavy

I forgot to say shredding doesn't only sound heavy, it allso makes you look like some kind of guitar god when your girlfriend comes over
it is heavy when your mp3 player wheighs more than without that song!!!

speed =l= heavyness....!!

i would say lot's of distortion and bass make it heavy
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Quote by numinis
2) you're right, most bands do but the powerchords should be played occasionally, songs based on power chords (99% of all punk bands) don't sound heavy

I forgot to say shredding doesn't only sound heavy, it allso makes you look like some kind of guitar god when your girlfriend comes over

You should be playing guitar cos you like it, not to impress your girlfriend
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

lots of bass from the amplification. imo.

you can get various equalizer presets on audio players that'll make any song "heavy".
Quote by HeartRaz0r
it is heavy when your mp3 player wheighs more than without that song!!!

speed =l= heavyness....!!

i would say lot's of distortion and bass make it heavy

what does the "=l=" mean?
Quote by numinis

1) I was making a general statement, not a personal jab
2) it's not the powerchord itself that makes something heavy- it's how they're used. Powerchords are a great base for a heavy song- it's how you use them, and what else you throw in that makes a song heavy.
It's the content and aesthetics of a song that makes it heavy. Something that strikes fear, anger, violence, despair, melancholy, chaos, et cetera in the listener is heavy.

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath is one of the heaviest songs I have ever heard. It's slow, with a (somewhat) clean verse, is in a simple time signature, and is basically 2 notes. It feels like I'm being dragged through mud every time I hear it.

My Name Is Mud is another heavy song. Half the song doesn't even have guitar in it. One riff, played over and over again.

Also, something doesn't have to be rock or metal to be heavy. Blues, Jazz, Hip Hop and Classical music can be just as heavy.

Case in point for blues- I'm Bad Like Jesse James by John Lee Hooker

Case in point for Jazz- The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady- Charles Mingus

Case for Hip Hop- You Never Know- Immortal Technique
When the music makes your head slightly heavy, then its heavy.

[Does not apply when you have a headache/fever]
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Check out For 'Whom the Bell Tolls' or 'Leper Messiah' by Metallica. That's heavy for you.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Speed =/= Heaviness

I find the heaviest songs are the slower tempo ones that sound more deliberate in their execution. With fast songs, it's just like pummelling. With slower "heavier" songs, it's "I'm grabbing your skull and slowly squeezing your brain out through your eyes. Why? Because it hurts more, you twit"

Definitely. I prefer the slow, gloom - 'n' - doom feel.

To answer the TS' question, I think "Have Mercy On The Criminal" by Elton John is pretty heavy. And +1 to "For Whom The Bell Tolls."
Agonizingly slow atmospheric songs like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=A70bvIbTivE are heavy as fuck.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Angels Don't Kill- COB. Just listen to it. It's one of their heavier songs.
Sixpounder- COB. Another good one.
About anything on The War Within by Shadows Fall.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
a bit of palm mute in drop tuning with some pinch harmonics over the top sounds awesome imo
for those with testaments new album song 7 "henchman ride" is a good example
and "practice what you preach"
but i could rattle off good heavy metal bands for quite a while
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
Agonizingly slow atmospheric songs like this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=A70bvIbTivE are heavy as fuck.

the back of my brain is aching
slight twist, shivering corpse
ornated with water, fills the cracks
clasped in my limbs by tradition
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED

"to be great is to be misunderstood."

- ralph waldo emerson
I thought this thread was to define what makes a song heavy, not post random links of heavy songs...
Opeth's Masters Apprentices!

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
Page 1 of 3