when i play a song, it sounds fine until i record it. then it sounds like ****. it's not completely horrible, but i just cant get anything to sound professional. when i play the inrto to castles made if sand, i have the timing right, it is just, ****ty idk how to explain it. like the notes are choppy and not smooth, im sure this happened to you? how to fix this?
Well what are you recording with for a start? Unless you record in a huge studio you're never going to achieve professional standard results.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
practice...
i have the same problem
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
try turning up the volume on your amp, worked for me on bass
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
What do you practice with and how are you recording? If you practice with an amp with lots of distortion and your running a guitar right into a mic input, chances are what you hear is what you are actually playing.
In that case, practice alot on the clean channel, but couldn't help unless you gave some specifics with what you practice with and how you record.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
im using my brothers vox valvetronix and playing with that straight into the microphone jack, its not the sound quality, it's my playing. maybe i can record a sample to show you what i mean? it just pisses me off because i've been playing for 7-8 years and it just seems like it wouldn't be a problem. and im recording with audacity, which is another problem. when i record, i have to turn the gain up every time because it comes out really quiet.
Using mic-out on the Valvetronix bypasses the 12AX7 tube which adds warmth and body to the sound. The end result is rather digital-sounding. Try using a Shure mic in front of the speaker itself.
i don't define myself by what silly groups i join.
Quote by jammy jam jam
when i play a song, it sounds fine until i record it. then it sounds like ****. it's not completely horrible, but i just cant get anything to sound professional. when i play the inrto to castles made if sand, i have the timing right, it is just, ****ty idk how to explain it. like the notes are choppy and not smooth, im sure this happened to you? how to fix this?

Could be your playing, could be the record method, could be some of both.
Do you play to a metronome or drum track? Good timing is probably the first
essential to sounding good.

Audacity is free, but you might get what you pay for. There's some fairly low-cost
recording solutions that are very easy to use and will give you very very respectable
sound quality. For really quick stuff, I use GuitarPort on a PC and the Riffworks
recording software that is packaged with some versions of Guitarport. Very easy
to use for something quick (although Riffworks is pretty limited for general use) and
sounds good.

In general, you'll find it easiest to use a line-in solution rather than mic'd amp
for good record quality. With a cheap multi-effects unit lined-in to a PC, recording
decent quality is pretty easy.
Thanks mate! Any good free drum loops?
Last edited by jammy jam jam at Jun 6, 2008,