Hey all. How's everybody doing on this summer morning?

I've actually been hunting for a new axe online, via Musician's Friend and Sam Ash, and I had a vague idea of what I'd be looking for when I began the quest. For a few years, my "beat around" guitar has been a Peavey Detonator JX. For those of you who aren't familiar, I believe the model was discontinued, but local music store retail had it at 800 bucks, marked to five. It's essentially a nicer take on Peavey's raptor, though I am by no means a Peavey-holic when it comes to guitars. Playing it, however, did shape my tastes, it's quite a versatile guitar. I knew that I'd never want to play without humbuckers again, and from jamming and trying out my mate's guitars, I've settled on a few companies for the price range of $750-$1000.

Epiphones were an initial candidate because most "upper-level" Epis can be bought for that price, and I've played some Les Pauls of that variety that were really responsive, killer sounding guitars right off the shelf. Ibanez is also a consideration, because they have a nice selection of axes at that range, and almost every Ibanez I've feeled plays really well, nice necks, good trems. Another friend also encouraged me to try out a Schecter, and I did, I like them as well, not to mention that C-1 Classics are on the lower end of my cash pool, which is an added bonus besides the fact that it is a very beautiful guitar.

I play mostly shred-type things, as well as jazz chord-melody and bebop. I want a guitar that can do it all for a good price, and those are all noted for their versatility, as I understand. Naturally, I will probably modify the guitar if it needs it, adjustments or new pickups, as well as guage it up as I prefer, but I'd like to hear you fine people's thoughts on the aforementioned brands/models OR if you have other suggestions you think would be worthwhile.

And yes, I know that "buying guitars is a unique experience and nobody else can tell you what to buy".

So, whoever the enlightened musician is who decides to break out that one today can be aware that I'm quite familiar with that mantra.

Thoughts?
Cheers!
Personally, I'd go with either the Ibanez or the Schecter, especially if you're going for shred. The Ibanez S-Series all have the very thin Wizard II neck which is brilliant for shredding, although the Schecters are good too. The Ibanez would probably cost less but the pickups aren;t great, whereas as some of the Schecters come with custom pickups so you wouldn't need to change them.
In the end, it comes down to which one you think plays best.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Ibanez RG1570 - shred machine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Ichimaru
Personally, I'd go with either the Ibanez or the Schecter, especially if you're going for shred. The Ibanez S-Series all have the very thin Wizard II neck which is brilliant for shredding, although the Schecters are good too. The Ibanez would probably cost less but the pickups aren;t great, whereas as some of the Schecters come with custom pickups so you wouldn't need to change them.
In the end, it comes down to which one you think plays best.

Thanks, I appriciate the articulate response. I'm a pretty big fan of the Wizard II neck myself, spent many minutes jamming away in music stores on Ibanezes equipped so. From what I've played, I'm not certain if I can pick the better playing one, they're certainly different, but if one beats the other, even in my preferences, I can't really tell. I'm tempted to get a Schecter, though, just so I don't appear to be the generic Youtube virtuoso.
Cheers!
ight...the ibanez would be really good for shred. the RG series and the JEM series (which steve vai used)

but i think the epiphone would be a better rounded guitar. if you get a high end epi, its like a midrange gibbie. les paul is kinda a cliche but it IS a really good guitar that wil last forever

Schecter...hellraiser. but again more of a shred axe.

another thing you could do -with a new cheapo guitar or even your existing one- is just replace the pickups. its like a whole new guitar. ofcourse that wont help if you dont like the neck but still...get a cheap guitar with a good neck an gut it.

one last thing...you might also want to try esp/ltd guitars. emgs standard, bodystyles close to that of almost every famous guitar...give it a try

hope i helped!
later
My pedalboard is worth more than my car, but that doesn't say much for either.
while the ibanez would be good for lead and shred, i think you may want to go for an epi, which still plays fast but a high end epiphone les paul may well do better for rythym if you don't want to go all the way for a hollow-body or semi-hollow.
Schecter Tempest Custom. Rawr.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Well, typically what makes a good jazz guitar is very different from what makes a good shred guitar. That being said, I had a guitar instructor at the University of North Texas named Steve Cotter (not sure of the spelling) who played jazz on a Les Paul and we all know they're good for rock. So a Les Paul (or more affordable copy) might be your best bet.