Hey,

someone is offering me a Fender Made In Japan Stratocaster from (according to him) April 1990. He's asking 450 euros including the hardcase, which is a pretty good deal around here .
I only need some help to identify the exact model, he said it was a sixties style model but the maple fretboard, single ply pickguard and double butterfly stringtrees don't match with that.
I suspected it to be a standard model, but the headstock logo doesn't correspond (it's a spaghetti logo instead of the grey one like a mexican standard has).
If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate that.

Here's a picture, unfortunately the only one I've got.
EDIT: this pic's rotated 180 degrees so the Fender logo is readable
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Jun 6, 2008,
No Serial Number?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
its a nice guitar but does it say squier on the headstock? or is it just me? im pretty blind at times
Headstock doesn't say Fender on it.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Bazilisck311: Serial numbers don't say anything at all about the exact model type, only about the year.

Oh and I just rotated the pic on my pc 180 degrees and it definitely says Fender. It's a bit hard to read when it's upside-down though :P

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by nightraven
i can see 'fender' on the headstock. the shape isn't a squier shape anyway. look where the 'd' in 'fender' is and you'll believe me

nah. its not fender. look closer. starts with some "S".
Wait a sec then, I'll change the current picture for the rotated one

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
Bazilisck311: Serial numbers don't say anything at all about the exact model type, only about the year.

Well, once you know the year of the guitar, you can grab a Fender catalog and compare it to all the models released that year by Fender.

EDIT: some models may also have different serial number schemes than Fender's standard scheme. If you can identify the number scheme, you know which models to exclude.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by ubtguitarist
thats definately a fender symbol, the f in fender is a backwards ffficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi"> here

my mistake. didn't notice that. picture looks very blurred.
where's the picture?
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
sorry, took a while to change the picture due to a malfunctioning site but here it is

btw: how am I going to get my hands on a 1990s Fender Japan catalog?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
sorry, took a while to change the picture due to a malfunctioning site but here it is

btw: how am I going to get my hands on a 1990s Fender Japan catalog?

A Fender made in Japan will be in a Fender catalog. The internet has a number of websites with Fender catalogs, believe it or not. There are even some websites that list all models sold, including colors and numbers sold for a specific year/decade.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I don't know the serial number yet but if the person who's selling it is honest with me about it (and I know him, he is honest) it's a 1990 guitar, which means the serial should be either I, J or K + 6 digits.

EDIT: the picture seems to have some trouble loading.. sometimes I see it, sometimes I dont
When you don't see it, please try reloading the page or try this link

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by Lauke_101 at Jun 6, 2008,
Is you pic greater than 50K? I usually upload from my PC but needs to be 50K or less.

I downloaded you photo and tried to crop the headstock alone but it didn't help much.

Obvioulsy you know how to read serial numbers so i think you are at a standstill until you get that. What sites to do you use? here are the ones I use.

http://www.superiormusic.com/page201.htm

http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

good luck and let us know

P.S. - your link didn't work either, maybe too many people were trying to hit it or something, which is another reason i upload from PC.
;
Attachments:
Japan strat headstock.JPG
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 6, 2008,
Thank you for your help

Yeah the pic is larger than 50K but I uploaded it to mediafire and linked to it from here, but mediafire seems to have some problems..

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
I don't know the serial number yet but if the person who's selling it is honest with me about it (and I know him, he is honest) it's a 1990 guitar, which means the serial should be either I, J or K + 6 digits.

Your friend's honesty is not in question - having the serial number in hand will make it easier to identify. It's usually located on the peg head decal, the neck pocket plate, or on the back side of the neck, next to the neck pocket.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
pics are easy to re-size if you want to try to upload from PC.

after adjusting to 50K and 500 pixils go to 'Go Advanced' reply, manage attachments, brose to pic, upload.

but as you can see, i don't think it will help much as the photo quatlity was not that good to begin with. oh, i'm not questioning your friends honesty but people do use the term 'friend' losely.

here - i just resized it to 495 pixels and 44K
(not my strat - this is Lauke_101s)

Edit: sorry, i see your original is back up now
;
Attachments:
japan strat-2.jpg
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 6, 2008,
Hmm wel at the moment I can see it.. pretty weird huh?
I think it's just temporal so your best bet should probably be to refresh the page..
I feel a bit sorry for the people on 56K though (I've only had broadband for about 2 years now :P)

EDIT: never mind
Oh and 311ZOSOVHJH: you're a bloody hero!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm thinking of buying a fender stratocaster, made in usa with a serial number E 4xxxxxx but all of the websites I've been on only mention E4+5 digits and not E4+6 digits as is on the headstock. Anyone help?
I'm thinking of buying a fender stratocaster, made in usa with a serial number E 4xxxxxx but all of the websites I've been on only mention E4+5 digits and not E4+6 digits as is on the headstock. Anyone help?
well, you may want to just start a new thread so you don't 'threadjack' Lauke's

but since you have already double posted and i'm checking back here anyway why don't you just give us the entire serial number? there is no mystery here, it's not like we can steal your identity. 6 digits does seem long but I think i have actually seen that before so you may be ok.

if you do start your own thread - i'll look for it.

;
Allright I have the guitar here right now, haven't bought it yet but I borrowed it for a day .
The serial is G034371 which means it actually should be about 2 years older.. it needs quite a lot of attention and a good setup too. I can confirm it's a Japanese Standard model though, probably an export series.
The knobs are very loose, pickup polepieces; trem and some screws are rusted and some little chunks from the underside of the neck are missing.
Also what I found really weird is that 'Made In USA' is stamped near the heel of the neck, exactly where normally the 'Made/Crafted In Japan' is supposed to be. Also, the trem unit is a vintage style six point but the saddles don't sport the Fender logo, which I find kind of weird.
I'm not buying it, mainly because of all the work it needs done and because I prefer the Classic Player '60 strat in terms of tone.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
but wait, the story continues....he he

got this off Guitardaterproject.org with your S#

how much $$ again? obviously this info needs to be double checked...maybe with some of the other sites I gave you. Gotta go. Wierd Wild Shtuff!
------------------------------

Guitar Info
This guitar is a STRAT (Gold hardware, 2 position rotary tone switch)
made at the Fullerton Plant (Fender - Pre CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): Circa 1980

Fender: Fullerton
The Fullerton factory opened in 1946, Fullerton California with the first major electric solid body guitar production began in 1950 with the Broadcaster (later known as the Telecaster). Sold in 1965 to CBS who in 1985 sold Fender to a group of private investors the plant was not included in that sale and was subsequently closed.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 10, 2008,
How do you know it's Japanese when the guitar AND the serial number say it's American?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
but wait, the story continues....he he

got this off Guitardaterproject.org with your S#

how much $$ again? obviously this info needs to be double checked...maybe with some of the other sites I gave you. Gotta go. Wierd Wild Shtuff!
------------------------------

Guitar Info
This guitar is a STRAT (Gold hardware, 2 position rotary tone switch)
made at the Fullerton Plant (Fender - Pre CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): Circa 1980

Yes I found that one as well but on Fender's own site... but G + 6 digits also matches with a Japanese Strat from 1987-1988. It doesn't sport gold hardware nor that rotary tone switch so my guess is it's truly a Japanese model. The logo, string trees, tuners, pickguard and trem all match up with a Japanese Standard model. I doubt the 'made in USA' embossing near the heel is original, isn't it supposed to say 'Made In USA' just beneath the logo? Also, I've never ever seen anything embossed in a Fender, always stickered.
The man's asking 450 euros by the way, but I'm returning it in about 9 hours when I need to go to work (8 AM over here right now )

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
cool....well if in doubt then ditch

i think guitardaterproject.org site only links to direct info from Fender in this case as it was an exact paste of what was on fender.coms site.

i didn't catch the G0xxxxx for Japan tho so right on!

imo Fenders serial number scheme is all jacked up sometimes.

glad you came to some resolution.

later
311zoso
Haha okay
I guess I'm saving up for a Classic Player 60s strat in Sonic Blue then

Thank you very much for your help by the way, 311ZOSOVHJH, you've been very kind and very knowledgeable, one of the finer UG users

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I will

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣