Poll: Which do you think is best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which do you think is best?
ESP LTD MH-103 Quilted Maple Electric Guitar
5 12%
SP M-200FM Electric Guitar
0 0%
Ibanez RG4EXQM1 Quilted Maple Top Electric Guitar
15 35%
Ibanez RG Edge III Electric Guitar
6 14%
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
6 14%
Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo
11 26%
Voters: 43.
So im looking to buy a new guitar and i want a nice shred guitar
here are some guitars and their links
please tell me what you think of them and if you were to choose one which would you get?
thanks

ESP LTD MH-103 Quilted Maple Electric Guitar
http://www.music123.com/ESP-LTD-MH-103-Quilted-Maple-Electric-Guitar-514872-i1372185.Music123

ESP M-200FM Electric Guitar
http://www.music123.com/ESP-M-200FM-Electric-Guitar-516679-i1149043.Music123

Ibanez RG4EXQM1 Quilted Maple Top Electric Guitar
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG4EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar-103662789-i1168031.gc

Ibanez RG5EX1 Electric Guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-?sku=519786

Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?sku=IRG350MDW

Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo
http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-EM-2-Prophecy-FX-Electric-Guitar-with-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-515613-i1398415.Music123

Edit:I think i fixed the links problems
i changed the 4th choice from what it is in the poll to Ibanez RG5EX1 Electric Guitar because i couldn't find an alternate link to the page and besides i now know that Edge IIIs are not trust worthy
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
Last edited by led,rainsong at Jun 6, 2008,
The Epi, definitely. It's the only one with an OFR and the only one without crappy stock pickups... even if they are EMG's. I wouldn't call it a "shred" guitar, though, at least not without a pickup swap... what exactly are you looking to play?
I say the RG4EX1
I have a RG5EX1 (basically the same guitar) and I love it.
woops
my bad
ill redo this thread with better links
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

All of those links are broken. Also I don't think there is an Ibanez guitar called the "Edge III", that's the name of their lower-end double locking tremolo system.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
im not exactly confined to one style of music but i would like to be able to play easily and quickly like avenged sevenfold, dream theater, children of bodom etc.
i also want a nice clean sound but im not THAT picky about that
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Ibanez RG4EXQM1. those two other RGs have the Edge II which i do not like personally. i would go for ESP if it were a higher model.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I'd go with the RG350MDX from looks. The maple fretboard looks awesome!
Quote by Seef
I'd go with the RG350MDX from looks. The maple fretboard looks awesome!

the Edge III trem would give the TS a hardtime. sacrificing playability for looks ain't right.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i did some research and apparently the Edge-Pro is the best Ibanez licensed FR that uses knife edges
the zero point has ball bearings which seems cool but since it has less up pull i dont think i want it

Quote by leviticus_22953
the Edge III trem would give the TS a hardtime. sacrificing playability for looks ain't right.

what's TS?

For the ESP LTD MH-103 Quilted Maple Electric Guitar, ESP M-200FM Electric Guitar, and Ibanez RG4EXQM1 Quilted Maple Top Electric Guitar don't say what type of tremolo system they have. Do they have fake no-name systems?

The Ibanez RG5EX1 Electric Guitar and Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar both have Edge III tremolo systems which i have heard are inferior to Edge Pro systems

The Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo has an original FR which is really appealing but i don't the craftsmanship of th guitar is good because ive played Epiphones, even ones that are more expensive and they all were poorly built
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Quote by leviticus_22953

Yeah I know... I wasn't going to post at all but that one caught my eye. But I did mention I based it only on looks.

And I didn't vote at all.
Quote by led,rainsong
i did some research and apparently the Edge-Pro is the best Ibanez licensed FR that uses knife edges
the zero point has ball bearings which seems cool but since it has less up pull i dont think i want it

what's TS?

i did

TS means ThreadStarter

Anyway, for a good Shred guitar, what about the Washburn N2? It's got some seriously good reviews recently and is well priced.
the jackson RR3 and the Washburn N2 are a little but more than im want to spend..
if there isn't a guitar that has a quality bridge that is around $500 US than maybe i should save for a better one?
what if i were to get a cheaper guitar or one of the above ones and than maybe replace the bridge with an original FR or maybe a Edge-Pro (some say it's better than the original FR but it also may be cheaper) but aren't the bridges different sizes? so like the original might not fit in the space of one of the other bridges or something

also, where can i buy a Edge-Pro replacement bridge?
i know i can buy an original off of musiciansfriend.com but i can't find the edge-pro
is it just for Ibanez guitars?
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Quote by led,rainsong
The Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy FX Electric Guitar with Floyd Rose Tremolo has an original FR which is really appealing but i don't the craftsmanship of th guitar is good because ive played Epiphones, even ones that are more expensive and they all were poorly built

What $600+ Epiphones have you played that were poor quality? All of the higher- end Epis I've played were great build quality, and the Prophecy blows away all the other guitars you've listed, spec- wise.
i would totally go with the rg350mdx. ibanez's are great shred guitar. the necks are amazing! thats just me. i had a cheaper model. that guitar made me play better. it rocked!
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Epiphone. Sure, it may not have the best looks, but looks aren't everything. It has the best trem, which means it won't go to crap after a while, and it definitely has a unique shape, which you'll want if you want to stand out as a shredder.
I say go for the Epiphone EM-2 Prophecy FX w/ the Floyd Rose....the only thing I'll caution you on....is that you need to MAKE GOD DAMNED SURE that the neck has a Truss Rod in it...& if the Neck has no Truss Rod...then DO NOT buy it....I've had Truss Rod Adjustment SAVE MY ASS on Several occasions...& if you bend the neck so bad that the guitar isn't playable....& the neck doesn't have a Truss Rod in it....& It's a Set-Neck Axe......Then What are you gonna do?!? Nobody will buy it from you because the neck is so bent, it's not playable, might as well put it out to the curb on ****ing Trash Day....& then MAYBE they'll take it
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by Orbit91
Jackson Kelly.

....Actually.....I Agree with Orbit91, get a Jackson Kelly
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
The Epi, definitely. It's the only one with an OFR and the only one without crappy stock pickups... even if they are EMG's. I wouldn't call it a "shred" guitar, though, at least not without a pickup swap... what exactly are you looking to play?

+ 99999999999999
this is without any doubt the better guitar of your list.
DO NOT buy the other ones BEFOR you have tested that epi. please.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
The Epi has the best hardware, and I've heard that their Prophecy Series guitars have really thin satin-finished necks. Although, those aren't EMGs. They're the new Epi-Active pickups Epiphone's been talking about. You can switch between active and passive mode, which is pretty cool, although I don't know what they sound like.
wow
u guys seems to really liek the epi
i still don't know though.. i never like the idea of getting an epiphone shred guitar
do you guys like it just because fo the Original FR system?

i dont know
maybe i could get one of the other ones and replace the tremelo
can you replace any of the fake FRs with an original?

i looked up some jacksons and all the ones with tremolo systems are bit too high for me... i mean they look like great guitars and i think all of them have original FR systems but the cheapest one i saw was $700 US which is too much for me
i googled jackson kelly but i couldn't find anything on kelly just jackson stuff
is kelly kinda like epiphone is to gibson?
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Quote by led,rainsong
wow
u guys seems to really liek the epi
i still don't know though.. i never like the idea of getting an epiphone shred guitar
do you guys like it just because fo the Original FR system?

i dont know
maybe i could get one of the other ones and replace the tremelo
can you replace any of the fake FRs with an original?

It depends on the system. I've heard varying things about the Edge III. Some people say an OFR drops straight in, but someone on this forum, I think Dave_Mc, tried to do it, and it didn't work. However, I've heard that Gotoh Floyds will go in without any routing, and Gotoh Floyds are really nice.
None of the above man... go used and get a higher end RG. There are sick deals out there if you're patient. If you insist on these I vote for the epi. Looks like it'll give you good upper fret access and apparently has an OFR. Don't necessarily believe that, however, as I've played guitars that are listed as having OFR's but they're not made in Germany.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
so i guess the consenus is that i should either get the epiphone or try and get a more expensive guitar with an original FR and bullets34 said to try to go used (although im nervous about getting a guitar with dull knife edges)
i guess ill just save more or something..

i'd still like to know if i could replace one of the tremolos with an original FR
anyone know anything bout that or somebody who does?
Gear:
Peavey VK 100 Head

Quote by led,rainsong
so i guess the consenus is that i should either get the epiphone or try and get a more expensive guitar with an original FR and bullets34 said to try to go used (although im nervous about getting a guitar with dull knife edges)

i'd still like to know if i could replace one of the tremolos with an original FR

I think the consensus is that it requires a little bit of routing, I looked into doing it a while back. You could probably do it, but it would probably be a pretty major pain in your ass... if Dave_MC's tried it though, you might want to PM him.
Nyandres (sp?) has a tutorial on how to swap out an EDGE III so maybe he'll see this thread...

And a shred guitar is any guitar you're comfortable playing, so we can make all the suggestions in the world based on specs, hardware, personal experience or just blatant fanboyism but none of that matters if you don't like how the guitar feels. Just play some guitars and find what you like...
Quote by led,rainsong

Just get one of the RGs and put a Gotoh Floyd in it. Gotohs are quality bridges, trust me.
Epi ftw.

...I'd never thought I'd say that.....
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK