So my friend (metal guitarist) has come upon the theory that he is better than me because he plays metal, meaning he plays faster. However, he can only play with distortion all the way up and could not even manage to cleanly play the intro riff to SCOM. Myself on the other hand never plays with distortion unless I am covering a song, and even then I usually go clean to get the way the artist plays it down.
So who would you say is the better guitarist a metal or blue rock player?

Note: Not asking if you think my friend or myself is better, that would be impossible you have never heard either of us play.
No versus threads.

This has also been done to death

Also, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

also, you annoy me.
Mods win!

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I concur with the above user.

Edit: okay, I concur with the user two posts above me now.
Quote by imgooley
No versus threads.

This has also been done to death

Also, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

also, you annoy me.

NOW thats a hard one. I say apples.

but serz. no versus threads
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you don't have enough for tube get a Roland Cube.

Equipment:
Fender Squire Fat Strat Affinity series
Some cheap amp....
no offense, but that's a dumb question. this whole thread will only include biased opinions. i believe you know already that it has nothing to do with style, it's all about technique. the one with the cleanest and most accurate technique and theory will always be 'technically' better, but not necessarily the most popular or well known. I would think Paul Gilbert is a shred maniac and Stevie Ray Vaughn a blues mastermind, but in no way would i try to do a 'who's better' thread on it, b/c it's all opinion. If you play a certain style, you see all the hard techniques that are incorporated into it, and when you look at another one you hardly dabble in, you just go 'eh that doesn't look so tough'- while the other guy playing the other style is probably thinking the same exact thing about yours.

TS, ur friend can't hide behind gain forever!!! lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
no offense, but that's a dumb question. this whole thread will only include biased opinions. i believe you know already that it has nothing to do with style, it's all about technique. the one with the cleanest and most accurate technique and theory will always be 'technically' better, but not necessarily the most popular or well known. I would think Paul Gilbert is a shred maniac and Stevie Ray Vaughn a blues mastermind, but in no way would i try to do a 'who's better' thread on it, b/c it's all opinion. If you play a certain style, you see all the hard techniques that are incorporated into it, and when you look at another one you hardly dabble in, you just go 'eh that doesn't look so tough'- while the other guy playing the other style is probably thinking the same exact thing about yours.

TS, ur friend can't hide behind gain forever!!! lol.[/QUOTE]

It really makes me angry because basically everything he is playing is hammer on pull offs etc so with distortion all the way up it is not that hard. Btw nice username....fav band (gnr) and player.
There is more than one way to skin a cat-- as long as you get the job done!
Its like asking... who was better
Bach or Handel?
Van Gogh or Picasso?

Bad question really...
Gear:
Fender Strat American Deluxe,
Halfsize Custom Electro-acoustic
Yamaha Classical
Tanglewood Dreadnought

10w Marshall
120w Line 6 Spider II
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Yamaha Digital Piano
Yamaha Keyboard
no problemo, though i don't know how many new members here who claim to love GNR and slash have actually listened to more than a few songs. Which of their albums have you listened to?

anyways i think ur thread will be closed soon b/c of it having a 'VS' atmosphere going on, so if you wanna talk more about GNR, ur thread subject or anything else hit me up with a PM.

lata!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
hmmm well speed wise hes probally better but in just how clean you play, like no mistakes or anything youd probally win because you play clean alot and he has all that thick gain to hide behind
Quote by Briddell
So my friend (metal guitarist) has come upon the theory that he is better than me because he plays metal, meaning he plays faster. However, he can only play with distortion all the way up and could not even manage to cleanly play the intro riff to SCOM. Myself on the other hand never plays with distortion unless I am covering a song, and even then I usually go clean to get the way the artist plays it down.
So who would you say is the better guitarist a metal or blue rock player?

If what you say is accurate, then you piss all over your friend, quite frankly. However, in general, I would say that your average shredder is a far better guitarist than your average blues rocker. I say this, because shredding requires a much more advanced technique than generic blues stuff. Most shredders I know started shredding after they spent years playing other stuff. Blues is one the first things you learn.

So yeah- shredders is my general answer.
I play both, so I have no bias.
Blues is generally more intelligent, and requires more thinking to play, especially with improvising.
Metal is still pretty intelligent(solos), but its harder to play stamina wise.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
You Tell Him Blues-Rock Guitarist is Better then Metal Guitarist....He want's to know why you tell him "Stevie Ray Vaughan - I Win"
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by Bigwoof
SCOM= Sweet Child O Mine most of the time.

Wow, I feel really dumb. I just woke up, and I'm not a morning person (even though it's like 12:30 now; yay for summer!).

But, yeah, I have no idea why I didn't think that.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
no problemo, though i don't know how many new members here who claim to love GNR and slash have actually listened to more than a few songs. Which of their albums have you listened to?

anyways i think ur thread will be closed soon b/c of it having a 'VS' atmosphere going on, so if you wanna talk more about GNR, ur thread subject or anything else hit me up with a PM.

lata!

I claim to love GNR, Slash. And I have heard every one of their albums. Appetite is my favorite. Night Rain, Sweet Child O Mine, Paradise City are my favorites. But I also like Pretty Tied Up & November Rain from Use Your Illusion I&II. and last but not least my favorite cover ever is probably "Mama Kin" origainally done by Aerosmith. Slash is an awesome guitarist. Suprising to hear an original "Metalhead" say these things. 80's Hair, Glam, & Metal bands are my favorites. Winger, Iron Maiden, Extreme, Scorpions, GNR, etc.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Why hasn't this thread been smashed into oblivion and beyond yet?

It's bias you fools, there is no VS.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->