Hi there, looking at purchasing an acoustic amp, I've never purchased an amp before (always just borrowed people's) and am looking for something pretty good, but hopefully under AUS$2000. A friend and I are starting to do some gigs so I want my own amp, we play mainly in pubs/restaurants etc. so something that has a bit of volume but will give a nice crisp sound. It would also have a mic plugged in as well. Just wondering what sort of amp I should be looking at (Brand and model would be appreciated)

Thanks in advance!
Winners are those who refuse to be beaten

Imagination on a Screen

Please crit my latest work! Crit for crit of course.

Or hear my demo recordings at Myspace
Quote by Pete Murray#1
...we play mainly in pubs/restaurants etc. so something that has a bit of volume but will give a nice crisp sound. It would also have a mic plugged in as well.

There are a lot of amps designed specifically for coffee shop acoustic gigging. I have an Ultrasound DS3 that I'm happy with. Decent digital effects for the guitar channel like chorus, phase, reverb, delay, etc., along with a dedicated channel for a vocal mic. Mines 50W (2 x 25W). Decent for small places, overmatched in bigger rooms.

Another company for acoustic amps that I really like is SWR. They're a great SS company, making some high quality bass amps as well. Their California and Strawberry Blonde amps are really outstanding.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Peavey Ecoustic or Ibanez Troubadour.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i hear very good things about the SWRs mensioned before, but also about the marshall as50&100d.

another option (perhaps the best) is an AER amp. (acousticube for example). they sound brilliant.

and, a jc-77 by roland could also do the job nicely, though i'm not sure if it has a XLR input.
Quote by The red Strat.
and, a jc-77 by roland could also do the job nicely, though i'm not sure if it has a XLR input.

I have one, and it's really not acoustic friendly. Besides the lack of an XLR input, there's a lot of feedback with it. That's a big problem with amplifying acoustics in general. I wouldn't get an acoustic amp without some sort of anti-feedback system in place.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ahh, fair enough. i figured that because i hear the jc-120 is a great acoustic amp, but this guy doesn't need so much power, that i'd recommend him the lower wattage equivalent.
+1 for AER. Excellent sound, not sure if they are over your budget tho (not sure on conversion rates for the Aussie dollar!)

I have a Trace Acoustic TA50R (which is no longer in production) but is a true 2 channel amp with XLR input for mic. (I have pics in my profile)

If I didn't have the Trace, I'd be looking at an AER or similar amp, built specifically for acoustic musicians.

HTH.
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
The Marshal as50d has two inputs and mike xlr, and two anti feedback buttons. Also a feedback buster is recommended [goes into sound hole].
The Marshall as50d has two inputs and mike xlr, and two anti feedback buttons. Also a feedback buster is recommended [goes into sound hole].
Quote by CorduroyEW
The right amp depends on what pickup your guitar has.

spoken like a true pickup winder
^LOL

It's true though. Peizo undersaddle transducers sound best with acoustic amps, magnetic soundhole pickups sound best with electric guitar amps, condenser undersaddle transducers sound best with keyboard amps or PA's and so do all the soundboard transducers that I've had my hands on. Condenser microphones need a good preamp that is designed to take the signal from a condenser mic and then can be run into an acoustic amp or a PA.

So yeah... The type of amp should be determined by the type of pickup you have.
Not taking any online orders.
a lot of pubs will have a mixer, pa that you can use.

if not, you'll want to keep it simple.

if you decide on an acoustic amp, after reading all that, SWR are really nice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011