And the strings are like way too long. They are wound around the pegs like till the whole peg is covered and then over-laped. Is this really bad? Can i leave it like this? Can i add the top three strings? Or will it create problems? The new strings don't seem to want to stay in tune.
You're supposed to cut them.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Unwind it, pull the feed through the tunning peg some more before you start winding. You can cut off excess.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
And new strings usually do come out of tune because your puttin tension on them, They'll stop after a lil while of playing

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
I typically pull the string approximately 1 to 1.5" past the tuner and bend it at a 90* angle with my fingernail, then cut the excess about 1" past the bend. I stick the bent part into the tuner, then wind. On the first revolution I wind the string OVER the tuner hole, then remaining winds below the tuner hole. This squeezes the string which helps prevent it from slipping. I like to wind up with around 3 revolutions on the peg. After you restring a few times you'll get a good feel for how much extra length to leave on the strings, but 1.5" past the tuner is a good place to put your bends as a starting point.
You cut them with a cutting tool of any kind.

And why whouldn't you be able to change the other three strings?
Try have only 5 winds at the tuning peg. then cut them with pliers (the sharp bit just below the actual plier part)
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by KOL40
what do i cut them with?

Wire cutters, dikes, scissors (with enough patience), serrated knives, Bastard Sword, chainsaw, 9mm hand gun, etc.

I like to twist the excess back and forth until the metal becomes brittle and snaps off inside the tunning peg. If you left enough string wound around the post, it should be tight enough to prevent slippage (ohh the innuendo...)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Aziraphale
You cut them with a cutting tool of any kind.

And why whouldn't you be able to change the other three strings?

I didnt know you had to trim the excess off. I thought all the extra string on the pegs would create a problem.
Quote by KOL40
what do i cut them with?

i use toenail clippers to cut my strings.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Bazilisck311
Wire cutters, dikes, scissors (with enough patience), serrated knives, Bastard Sword, chainsaw, 9mm hand gun, etc.

I like to twist the excess back and forth until the metal becomes brittle and snaps off inside the tunning peg. If you left enough string wound around the post, it should be tight enough to prevent slippage (ohh the innuendo...)

+1
yes, its quite alright, it isnt bad. they always overlap. stringjob kabooz. use wire cutter/pliers to snap off the excess.
Quote by KOL40
And the strings are like way too long. They are wound around the pegs like till the whole peg is covered and then over-laped. Is this really bad? Can i leave it like this? Can i add the top three strings? Or will it create problems? The new strings don't seem to want to stay in tune.

epic fail
OK, i trimmed them and everything is good. My guitar sounds soooooooo much better now (still not as good as the mim i am jonesin after). I used scissors. Thanks to everyone who wasn't an asshole. I mean all of you had to learn sometime.
Quote by KOL40
OK, i trimmed them and everything is good. My guitar sounds soooooooo much better now (still not as good as the mim i am jonesin after). I used scissors. Thanks to everyone who wasn't an asshole. I mean all of you had to learn sometime.

Yup, we did, but people over the internet don't have feelings. Thus, we don't feel so bad for ripping into the occasional poster.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Bazilisck311
Yup, we did, but people over the internet don't have feelings. Thus, we don't feel so bad for ripping into the occasional poster.

+1