When im playing and i paly on the 12th fret on the G string, it only holds for maybe like 3 beats while the other frets and strings will hold for a lot longer, like maybe 15 beats or so. Can i fix this, or do i need new strings?
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
raise action for better sustain.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by cj10schmelzer
When im playing and i paly on the 12th fret on the G string, it only holds for maybe like 3 beats while the other frets and strings will hold for a lot longer, like maybe 15 beats or so. Can i fix this, or do i need new strings?

Sounds like a set-up issue. Unfortunately it can be a few things. It's highly unlikely to be a string problem. It could be a lot of different things, including (but not limited to); perhaps the fret-wear on your 12th fret under the G is significant enough to make that string catch on the 13th. Perhaps it's not due to excessive fret wear, but maybe the action on your G is too low, resulting in a similar thing. Does it buzz a lot on the 12th? If it's just an action thing, a simple raising of the action on that string is all you need. Only you can know that, though. If you have a Les Paulstyle guitar/bridge, where you cannot adjust individual string height, then it is unlikely to be the latter. If you have a Stratocaster-type guitar/bridge, then it could be either.

How long have you had the guitar? What kind of guitar is it? You don't really give any details. It could be that the fret-dressing from the factory is pretty bad. It may even be that the 13th fret is too high, and uneven with the others. This sounds unlikely if you're specifically only getting a rather short, deadened note out of the 12th G. There's basically many, many things it could be, and since you give no details other than whats happening, I can't really narrow it down for you.
Quote by cj10schmelzer

The note die abruptly or fade out smoothly?.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
The note die abruptly or fade out smoothly?.

on a scale of 1-10 and dying abruptly was 1 and fading out smoothly is 10 then it would be like a 3 or 4
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
and to martin scott, i have a stratocaster which ive had for about 4 months. i play it at least 3 hours daily and i hit the 12 fret on the g string a lot, especially for the fact that in the songs me and my band write, many of the solos i write are in g major or e minor and i hit that 12th fret a lot.
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by cj10schmelzer
on a scale of 1-10 and dying abruptly was 1 and fading out smoothly is 10 then it would be like a 3 or 4

Does it happens on every string at that same fret?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
Does it happens on every string at that same fret?

no just the G
My Gear:
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Line 6 FBV Express

Wanted Gear:
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES335
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall JCM800
Dunlop Crybaby