(Background- For those who don't care, skip to problem)
So I've been in about 4-5 bands over the past year, and none have ever really been serious, or even had a good guitarest. Well, I've finnally found a good guitarest, or really he found me. (He was have about the same problem finding a competent bassist) So to give you a picture of this guy, just think Gothic, with long blond hair. Now, I've known him since elementry school, and because of that, my normal stereotyping didn't kick in, so I agreed to jam with him, because this guy is truly an amazing guitarest. So we had the practice yesterday, and I knew that he plays in some weird tunnings, (which being the classic rock junkie I am, I'm scared of weird tunnings) So I brought my 5-string in hopes of not having to get to weird with it. And I'll go ahead and throw out that I like Tight strings. (Among otherthings... )

(Problem)
So he's playing in Drop D, then take everything and drop it a halfstep so... Db-Ab-Db-Gb- Bb-Eb, So I take and tune my B string up to a Db, then drop everything down, so I'm tuned Db-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb and it freaks me out! This is the best way for me to play, but I honestly hate it. We tried the song in standard, and it doesn't sound quite as good as it does dropped down like this, and just about all his songs are in this tunnings, so I need to get used to it, fast. Any suggestions? It's essentially me trying to get used to Drop D with an added E string in the way, but Im having trouble with it.

When I go to run the D scale starting on my B string, I can only hit the first two notes the BAM! I relize I'm not tuned in fourths again. Just looking for suggestion on how to "Change with the times"
Practice practice practice? It doesn't make perfect but hell it makes stuff hella nice to hear.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
woah
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Many bands use tunings such as those. They aren't "weird", just not as popular as others. Don't be afriad of other tunings, I guess? You can always tune back.
shouldn't your tuning be Bb, Db, Ab, Db, Gb since his E string is tuned to Drop D tuning.
"There can be only one snake"
get used to using the notes that are one the b string instead of tuning it up. my bassplayer does that and it works a lot better for him...
I'm sorry for being a prick about this...but its spelled guitarist, not guitarest. Someone was bound to say something at some point.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
you should probably ask your friend for suggestions, hes the one who uses the weird tunings
Quote by Serjem
woah

Useless.

Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
Many bands use tunings such as those. They aren't "weird", just not as popular as others. Don't be afriad of other tunings, I guess? You can always tune back.

They are weird if you spend you whole time playing in standard and the occasional drop-D, it's hard to get used to them.

FbSa, unfortunately all I can recommend is practise, maybe play a few of the easier songs you know while keeping you strings in that tuning, just to get a feel for where each note is in relation to another.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You need to use a different tuning. If you can't get used to not being in straight fourths, you need to be tuned differently.

Wouldn't you be better off using a 4 tuned to Db or drop Db? Alternatively you could try Ab Db Ab Db Gb.
Quote by FbSa
just think Gothic, with long blond hair
Pics?
Using a 5 string should be easier because you don't have to use drop tuning unless it goes below B

Surely you know the first five frets of each string, just move it along to the third fret?
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Serjem
woah

Useless AND warned. Spam.

Orlando--I agree, go with a 4 string. I'm like you, I have a hard time wrapping my head around alternate tunings as well, but it just seems like the 4 string alternative would be easier to work through in this scenario.
Quote by Insanity^2
Using a 5 string should be easier because you don't have to use drop tuning unless it goes below B

Surely you know the first five frets of each string, just move it along to the third fret?

*facedesk*

Try playing "Walk with me in Hell" by Lamb of God on a standard tuned 5 string. Then say that it isn't necessary to down tune on a fiver.

Orlando, I'd personally tune to Ab Db Ab Db Gb, and just get some practice in there.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
*facedesk*

Try playing "Walk with me in Hell" by Lamb of God on a standard tuned 5 string. Then say that it isn't necessary to down tune on a fiver.

Orlando, I'd personally tune to Ab Db Ab Db Gb, and just get some practice in there.

He's right, he's dr phil.
I was going to say I kinda of A tuning, it's the best way to go instead of tuning the B to a D, tune it to an A
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I don't understand why you would use that tuning if you don't like it. Just adjust your playing to his tunning, unless you ain't great like me! But seriously, does it matter? Is there something I'm not considering?
Quote by young one
I don't understand why you would use that tuning if you don't like it. Just adjust your playing to his tunning, unless you ain't great like me! But seriously, does it matter? Is there something I'm not considering?

Some stuff can be very hard to play if put into a different tuning from the rest, especially if you're following guitar riffs.
I agree with tuning to Ab Db Ab Gb

You could do some cool octave stuff like that....Do a run or two then do the same run an octave down or something...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
My suggestion for these situations is always "high 5 tuning", basically tune your bass to the same as the guitarist's bottom 5 strings. It makes things way easier, and will get rid of that Eb in your way.

And besides, would you really use your bottom string if it was tuned a fifth down from Db?
We had practice again yesterday, and I found a nice economy of motion for the whole Db, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, But I do think I'll switch to my four string so I don't have the hulking Eb in the way all the time, thanks guys!
I know this idea has been attacked a few times already, but if it were me, I would leave my fiver in standard. I'm the kind of bassist that generally doesn't like to play the same riff as the guitarist all the time. I'd write my own basslines to blend with what he plays, and even allow a little genre-merging if it comes to that.

Then again, I'm also more of a rhythmic bassist than a technical one. You said you're more of an old-school rocker, so I thought that might also apply to you. If you find you're wanting to do some killer riffs that have intervals too weird for standard, then I guess standard (or any 4th interval) tunings just won't do it.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Why wouldn't you tune your 5 string to Bb-Db-Ab-Db-Gb or get your 4 string and tune to Db-Ab-Db-Gb...?
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Deliriumbassist

QFT. Really, as knowlegable as you are, you didn't realize this?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Why would you tune your B string up to Db? That's gotta be bad for your neck unless you use really light strings. And going Db to Eb on the next string is kinda pointless.

Just tune a four-string to Db-Ab-Db-Gb. So much easier.

Quote by anarkee
Orlando--I agree, go with a 4 string. I'm like you, I have a hard time wrapping my head around alternate tunings as well, but it just seems like the 4 string alternative would be easier to work through in this scenario.

It's just drop Db. Is there really that much to wrap your head around? Same as drop D or drop C, except it's Db.
Is your guitarist doing alot of open string/note stuff? I'd recommend staying in standard and just adapting to different tunings if possible. I play several songs that are in dropped tuning while staying in standard. Its just a matter of how frequently they play the unfretted, opened chord along.

We also play with several different tunings, ranging from drop C# like you guys to F.
When I play with odd tuned guitarists, I just use my 5 and play higher frets. Unless you're playing a riff that requires open strings, you should be fine.