hi guys..

ill start with my gear.. u have a behringer xenyx 802 mixer, a behringer UCA-202 usb audio interface and i use audacity to record..

heres my problem: i can only record at very low volume.. if and even if doing that, if a play a note thats way too loud, i get clipping.. i know i cant get the volume pro studios get, but i was expecting i could get something a lil louder..

is the problem my mixer? my audio interface? all of em? what could i do to make it better?
Have you tried singling out which piece of hardware it is? Try pluging straight into your interface instead of going through your mixer and see if that works.
I also have a problem similar to this. I'm using Audacity and using a line-in jack from my amp to my laptop. Audacity won't clearly record unless the master volume on my amp is extremely low (about 0.5/10). I think that if I change the recording level in Audacity (if it's possible) I may be able to play 'louder', although I can't hear anything anyway because I'm using the line-in and I don't have simultaneous playback when recording. I think my recording level is default (-21db I think), which I may have to fiddle with. I'm sure there must be a way of altering the recording volume on Audacity. Having my amp that low is causing the recording to sound not that great - listen to the Tattoo'd Lady intro mp3 on my profile for an example. It may be a case of spending time fiddling with Audacity!
i thikn the problem is the UCA202 thingy.. if i plug the headphones to it, the sound clips.. if i plug the headphones to the mixer, the sound is really good.. what can i do? just get a better one?
Quote by strawforest007
I also have a problem similar to this. I'm using Audacity and using a line-in jack from my amp to my laptop. Audacity won't clearly record unless the master volume on my amp is extremely low (about 0.5/10). I think that if I change the recording level in Audacity (if it's possible) I may be able to play 'louder', although I can't hear anything anyway because I'm using the line-in and I don't have simultaneous playback when recording. I think my recording level is default (-21db I think), which I may have to fiddle with. I'm sure there must be a way of altering the recording volume on Audacity. Having my amp that low is causing the recording to sound not that great - listen to the Tattoo'd Lady intro mp3 on my profile for an example. It may be a case of spending time fiddling with Audacity!

you can turn it up if you turn the mic down so it picks up less sound..
ive been reading the Tweak'z guide and other forums and i read that recording at low volumes is exactly what i need, cuz im gonna have more headroom and its gonna be easier to mix.. is this true?
You know, in Audacity up in the upper right corner there is a picture of a speaker with a slider that controls the master volume and and a picture of a microphone with a slider that controls the recording level. You guys that are getting too much recording volume ever try moving that down??

Just a thought

Tony
I never liked that Behringer interface...and the fact that it runs with an outboard mixer doesnt help much.

You are running though the RCA tape output on the mixer, right?
these have a lower output level which will cut down on clipping. The main outputs on the mixer are for a PA and have a +4db output.

Its best if you can get a proper interface with on board XLR inputs, Preamps for each channel, and phantom power for condenser mics...
but if you dont have any money for that, record at a low volume and use the Normalize feature in Audacity to get the volume up.
actually no, i use the Main Out to connect it to the interface's input.. i bought two 1/4" to RCA adapters to do this.. i kindda fixed the problem tho, like i said before, i read that its completely nonsense to record "the hottest possible", thus having no headroom for later.. its way better to record between -18dBFS and -12dBFS.. at least thats what i read, and hey, its working for me