Poll: Vox or Crybaby?
Poll Options
View poll results: Vox or Crybaby?
Vox
22 56%
Crybaby
17 44%
Voters: 39.
try them both, I like the crybaby better (IMO the Vox is way to mellow sounding) but a lot of people here prefer the Vox.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
prefer the Crybaby Original
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
okay. another question, after i try them and decide which one i like better, if i'm not completely satisfied (which i probably won't be) should i get it modded?
I have a crybaby classic but it gives me a really disgusting crunchy sound not from my guitar just from the pedal when i push it forward all the way. and through my SS amp its not really amazing so im gonna wait so see if somethings wrong with its and get a tube amp before trying a vox.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
get a crybaby and mod it to ****

otherwise you'll hate your life and have no mates

its true
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
neither.......go with the morley bad horsie 2......switchless wah is definately better in my opinion and it has the contour option
Both are terrible. Vox wahs are near useless with gain, and the only Crybabies that sound even remotely decent are the 535Q and the Crybaby from Hell.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
ok. thanks everybody. I think if I can make it I'll go try a bunch of wah pedals out sometime.
the crybaby is an example of how low down the standards of quality have dropped
the vox isn't great, but it is a lot beter
EDIT: i'm refering only to the JH sig and the original, the others i have yet to try
Quote by LaGrange
I have a crybaby classic but it gives me a really disgusting crunchy sound not from my guitar just from the pedal when i push it forward all the way. and through my SS amp its not really amazing so im gonna wait so see if somethings wrong with its and get a tube amp before trying a vox.

I think I know what the problem is, I've had the same issue recently. I took it to my guitar shop and the guy said it's a common problem and the pot needs replacing. I'm getting it back tomorrow.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
A lot of people say the Crybaby sounds like crap, but if you play it through a good amp then it won't, as I find due to the increased treble that you lay on by pressing down on it that you get greater distortion from the amp, or at least it seems that way. That's why when I was using it with an MG15DFX it sounded pants, but through a good amp it sounds very nice.

Vox is what all the greats used, but you can pick up a Crybaby for a lot less and it still gives you the right sound.
Quote by CorduroyEW
What style of music do you want to play?

i play everything from blues type stuff to classic rock to even a little bit of really hard rock and metal.
at least out of those two, crybaby originals are moddable.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Get a used higher-end wah. I just picked up an unused in-the-box CryBaby 535Q for $65+shipping on eBay, and it sounds WAAAY better than the Bad Horsie I have and the Crybaby original I used to have.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by ortrigger
i play everything from blues type stuff to classic rock to even a little bit of really hard rock and metal.

I think the vox is better for most classic rock while the crybaby is probably more versital and better for hard rock. Neither are good for metal.

Have you ever thought about a budda? It kinda bridges the gap between crybaby and vox. It's still not all the great for metal but can be used for just about anything else.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
A lot of people say the Crybaby sounds like crap, but if you play it through a good amp then it won't, as I find due to the increased treble that you lay on by pressing down on it that you get greater distortion from the amp, or at least it seems that way. That's why when I was using it with an MG15DFX it sounded pants, but through a good amp it sounds very nice.

I think also a lot of people don't really think about the fact that the crybaby has a considerably wider sweep, so if you only rock it between the heel and 3/4 of the way to the toe it will sound a lot better, don't forget about wah technique, it's just as important as what pedal you use.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I think also a lot of people don't really think about the fact that the crybaby has a considerably wider sweep, so if you only rock it between the heel and 3/4 of the way to the toe it will sound a lot better, don't forget about wah technique, it's just as important as what pedal you use.

Yup and yup It took me a long time to realise (well, de-nOObify ) that a lot of a particular tone does come from technique rather than entirely from your rig.

And good stuff Ortrigger, it's always the best way
Quote by ECwomantoneman

And good stuff Ortrigger, it's always the best way

also the funnest.
Quote by ECwomantoneman

Vox is what all the greats used, but you can pick up a Crybaby for a lot less and it still gives you the right sound.

well, what about John frusciante, Jimmy Hendrix, Slash, Tom Morello?
They all used a dunlop crybaby
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether

It also depends on what model and when it was made, standard cybabies from the 80s for example tend to be a lot better than new one. and Hendrix usualy a Vox Clyde McCoy from what I understand.

Last.fm
Quote by Farether

Uh-huh, you're missing my point I think.

Also, I'm referring to the Original Crybaby (GCB-95). This pedal always seems to get bad rep from people, personally I like it a lot and think it's a great wah.

Take the time to read over my post again and then come back with a sensible answer.