I've got a cheap fender style stagg and I want to take the frets out and replace them with wood so that you can still see the fret positions! I was wondering if i needed to make any major changes to it so that it plays ok! also what pickups would you suggest??
I'm not an expert on fretless guitars/basses but from what I've heard you need to put some sort of finish on the fretboard so the strings don't chew it up.
Ah i didn't think of that! nice one for bringing it up! i dont suppose it would be much different from the normal finish as even with a fretted bass the strings are still touching the neck!
go through this tutorial. http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/defretintro.htm and i would recommend flatwound strings anyways, so thats not a big deal.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Last edited by aetherspear at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by aetherspear
go through this tutorial. http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/defretintro.htm and i would recommend flatwound strings anyways, so thats not a big deal.

Good one except for the finishing steps. It's key to finish your fretless with either a Poly or Epoxy coat. Wipe-on Poly, specifically the water-based one from MinWax is pretty popular with the those going fretless. Epoxy is a lot more involved and gets messy.

Gah! The websites not working! would i have to finish the neck prior to applying the wipe on poly or would i apply it straight to the bare wood?
Whatever you do, don't use liquid or putty wood filler! It will expand and warp your neck later.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by patrickmoslin
Gah! The websites not working! would i have to finish the neck prior to applying the wipe on poly or would i apply it straight to the bare wood?

After you sand off the wood strips to make it level with the fretboard, you can apply the Poly or Epoxy. Make sure to wipe it down with a damp (not wet) rag, then a tack cloth, to remove all debris and dust.

Epoxy takes a bit longer to dry but is the preferred finish. The chemistry that goes into the new water-based Poly is so amazing, the difference is probably negligible.

Good Luck!

Which provides the better finish and would I be able to sand the entire neck and completley refinish it with the epoxy or poly finish??
I used poly on mine and it seems to be holding up very well, it also looks nice