Alright so this is probably going to be a stupid question, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm inexperienced in playing bass, so I don't really know I don't know the proper terminology for the kind of sound I want to get from my bass/amp. However, I have pretty much found it in a song. The link to the song is below (Sorry, it's the best place I could find it, it's not on youtube or anything). Anyways, what kind of bass and/or amp should I look into if this is the kind of sound I'm looking for? Is there possibly any kind of effects being used? It's just drums and bass in the beginning so it's easy to hear.

http://search.playlist.com/tracks/Showbread%20Bones
you can probably get that with pretty much any bass/ bass amp combination. i have the Crate 50 bass amp and a Washburn XB100 bass. There's no effect there other than tone on the bass.

If you're short on cash, buy a Crate 25 watt and an ibanez bass, mess with the tone knobs a bit and you should be able to match that sound pretty well.

edit: its not a stupid question! welcome to bass.
Last edited by BassFishin at Jun 6, 2008,
That's jus your basic bass sound. You get it by really rockin it with your fingers. (Use your fingers, not a pick, here. I know some Bassists use a pick.) But yeah, jus hit the notes strong, but too strong, don't want it to sound bad.
Should I invest more money in my bass, or my amp? I've been told that the amp can be more important in getting a good sound than the bass. Right now I play a cheap bass/amp that I got for free (I paid more for my skacore strap than I did for both the bass and amp, haha). I think the bass is Cort and the amp is.....Dean Markley? Right now I'm looking at either getting a Squier P-bass or Jazz bass pack (with the amp and all) or keeping the amp and buying this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Fresh roundwounds are a key here. Other than that just give the neck pickup some juice (if you have one), cut some bass, give it some treble and hi-mids.

Ummm..........say that again and dumb down everything for me please.
Souperman08, firstly, welcome to the bass forum,

but please dont double post, that is post two posts in a thread one after the other, just use the edit button, it's easy

what jazz_rock_feel is talking about is the strings, roundwounds are round strings, as oppsed to flatwounds, roundowunds are generally the most common variety of strings. However, the tone of your strings decays over time and use, fresh strings give a brighter, more cutting sound, and steel strings are generally brighter than nickel ones, perhaps upgrading your amp and getting a nice set of rotosound brand strings is an idea?

Make sure they are the same gauges (thats string thickness) as your current strings, or be prepared for truss rod adjusdment, I made that mistake with my first set of new strings....

hope this makes sense and wasnt patronising
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by souperman08
Should I invest more money in my bass, or my amp? I've been told that the amp can be more important in getting a good sound than the bass. Right now I play a cheap bass/amp that I got for free (I paid more for my skacore strap than I did for both the bass and amp, haha). I think the bass is Cort and the amp is.....Dean Markley? Right now I'm looking at either getting a Squier P-bass or Jazz bass pack (with the amp and all) or keeping the amp and buying this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass?sku=519638

theres no clear cut answer, but my opinion would be the amp. i mean dont get a total piece-o-crap bass, but many basses in the 150 - 250 dollar range sound generally the same. The amp is where true tone and sound comes through. Just go to your local music shop and mess around with em all, i'm sure you'll be able to find one that sounds like that Dinosaur Bones riff.