whats so bad about bolt on necks? i remember reading a thread here where a guy wanted a guitar and his requirements were something along the lines of humbuckers and no bolt on necks

what is the difference between a bolt on neck (like a fender) to a set in neck (like a gibson)?

EDIT

sorry i wasnt clear, i meant whats the difference in terms of tone, sound, and playability. i know the mechanical difference

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Jun 6, 2008,
Nothing. People (OMG) have different preferences.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Basically, a bolt on neck means a neck placed in and bolted on (oh yeah) screwed in to the neck pocket, so, can be removed with relative ease.

Set in means a neck that has been glued into the neck pocket of the body. This means no nuts and bolts in the way of your upper frets, so more comfort.
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
Bolt on is bolted on. Set neck is glued in. Through neck goes completely through the body.

They all sound different, and give different level of comfort in the upper frets.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Set necks are glued into the body. They GENERALLY give better sustain.

Bolt-ons are screwed in to the body, most of the time with 4 screws. They are far easier to remove, and cheaper to produce.

It's all about a level of comfort with the guitarist. Some like set necks, some like bolt on.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Most people have the misconception that bolt on necks are inferior to set necks, mainly because most low end guitars have bolt ons. However, many high end guitar makers such as Tom Anderson use exclusively bolt on necks. It is much more difficult to make a nice bolt on guitar than it is to sloppily drop a neck into place and glue it.
Some people, like myself, have a preference for necks other than bolt on (although I still own 5 bolt on guitars) because of the smooth & less bulky feel at the heel. Its a smoother transition and not blocky as per a bolt on, thats really about it. Some say your sustain and blah blah blah is better with this or that and an equal amount of people say the opposite. The biggest fundamental difference (IMO) is the feel and playability at the heel of the neck, and thats really it.
My Father (Chip Walsh), My Teacher (George McCann), and myself (Mark A Walsh) have all owned Gibson SG Guitars all at different times. Gibson SG's have a set neck. each of us has Broken the neck off of our SG. AND it happened to my father on his Mid-1970s Gibson Les Paul Recording Model once or twice
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by DeanESPJackson
Some people, like myself, have a preference for necks other than bolt on (although I still own 5 bolt on guitars) because of the smooth & less bulky feel at the heel. Its a smoother transition and not blocky as per a bolt on, thats really about it. Some say your sustain and blah blah blah is better with this or that and an equal amount of people say the opposite. The biggest fundamental difference (IMO) is the feel and playability at the heel of the neck, and thats really it.

The last part of that is pure win. The biggest difference is the heel. With Bolts and neck-thru its alot easier to get to your upper frets generally speaking. My Les Paul's fret access is blergh at best, cause its set in. They usually have pretty big heels.
Gibson.
I've heard that bolt-ons actually have better sustain, though, as there's actual wood touching wood, as opposed to wood touching glue touching wood. I don't know if that's true, though.
well, its definetley not true that bolt-ons are inferior, b/c most high end Ibanezes n Jacksons have bolt-on necks. just being curious, but would you be ****ed if ur neck broke on a thru-neck?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Last edited by Angus_Junior35 at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by Angus_Junior35
well, its definetley not true that bolt-ons are inferior, b/c most high end Ibanezes n Jacksons have bolt-on necks. just being curious, but would you be f<B>u</B>cked if ur neck broke on a thru-neck?

With the two exceptions of the DK1 and the Phil Collen signature, all high-end Jacksons are neck-through.
There is a huge phsycological effect regarding the price of something somehow equating to the quality of something, which, IMO, is true in many cases...but not everything...for example, bolt-on necks. They are found on most of the lower priced guitars because it is a cheaper method of production, not because its cheaper quality.
TS this boltneck/setneck/thruneck arguement has been being waged for a while. There are many high end instruments that have bolt necks, and there are some low end not so well made set necks. Thru necks are rarely cheap. I have each of the types. My LP tho set neck does not have better upper fret access than my bolt neck strats. A bolt neck you drop it and break the neck then you get another one and bolt it on. A set neck if you do the same will have to be worth some serious cash to get fixed as its not cheap to get a neck for them. And neck thrus they generally become firewood if this happens. Which is better depends everybody likes different things.