Okay, so I got rid of my 5150 (partially to pay off my car, and partially because it wasn't really giving me the sound I wanted). Now I'm starting to save up for another rig and I'm not sure what head I want to get. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just 50-100 watts all tube, 3-band eq, and an effects loop works. I'm really just looking for something that can give me a nice thick distortion. I really liked the break up that I got with my 5150, but it was too top heavy. I want something with some beefy low end to it. I play a lot of death metal and stuff with similar guitar tones (Amon Amarth, Belphegor, Black Dahlia Murder, Deeds of Flesh, etc. if that helps)

That being said, I'm open to suggestions. I'm trying to keep the cost of the head under $1000, and I'm willing to buy used. I was looking at the Genz Benz El Diablo (60w head version), does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks
You could build or have someone build you a 50 watt plexi.

The "bass" models have plenty of low end.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Carvin V3, it does it all
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Used Recto with a boost? Oh btw, have you tried boosting the 5150??
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ValoRhoads
Carvin V3, it does it all

+1, im madly in love with mine
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by aznrockerdude
Used Recto with a boost? Oh btw, have you tried boosting the 5150??

I had an SD-1 for a while, but I thought the amp sounded better by itself, even though it was a little less tight.

Can the V3 get really distorted, or will it wimp out before I can get a good death metal tone?
What cab did you use with the 5150?
And if you find that it had too much high end, then turn down the presence...

anyway, you might look at the Engl fireball. Quite similar to the 5150, but with an other voicing.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
i liked the genz benz i tried (the combo) but a lot of people don't. definitely fits into the "try first" category...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Engl fireball. Quite similar to the 5150, but with an other voicing.

Arn't the engl's very bright amps ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by frozen-dirt
I had an SD-1 for a while, but I thought the amp sounded better by itself, even though it was a little less tight.

Can the V3 get really distorted, or will it wimp out before I can get a good death metal tone?

it can get very distorted, but at some levels it gets a bit fizzy, but its heavy enough for me, and i play death metal. But if you really want insane distortion, id throw a tube screamer, or any other gain boost along with it.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Kultur Vultur
You could build or have someone build you a 50 watt plexi.

The "bass" models have plenty of low end.

I dont' have any good suggestions here but Kultur Vultur -

that is one killer avatar!

AHHH My Eyes
wow

;
try playing it through a cab that takes away more mids I hear that celestion 30s can sometimes make it to over the top. So I say try a couple different cabs with it that don't have that speaker.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Quote by 80sShred4TheWin
try playing it through a cab that takes away more mids I hear that celestion 30s can sometimes make it to over the top. So I say try a couple different cabs with it that don't have that speaker.

IMO V30's have way too many mids for 5150/6505's. I looove the way they sound through Eminence Legends, though.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Maybe try for a used Mark IV. The price will probably drop a bit once the V comes out.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
this is what you need to do first, take the amp and the sd1 and boost the rythm channell with it
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by frozen-dirt
^I was using a Carvin MTS cab w/ 75w celestions. The ones that come in 1960's.

Carvins are great cabs, but 5150's dont like G12T75 speakers. They REALLY dont. Its all one fuzzy mudbomb coming out of that combination. It works better with V30's or Greenbacks. Or eminence Legends.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You can always look for a used EVH5150 III head...it's a very different amp then the 5150's made by Peavey.

The gain is tighter and much deeper.
^I dont think you will find them used already. They are just released. I think that will be for next year.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
^I dont think you will find them used already. They are just released. I think that will be for next year.

Actually there are used ones popping up already...
I would recomend the Orange Thunderverb 50.

Which pricerange do you aim for?
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!