Hey guys, I want to refinish one of my guitars in a dark "metallic" blue. A finish like an Ibanez rg1570 (Mirage Blue). I want it to be dark blue and "sparkle" (probably the wrong word, but you know what i mean)

Here's a pic of what i want to do:
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Go to your nearest sherwin williams (or other automotive paint store), they can help you with that. To me it looks like either Bright Sapphire mettalic, or a Ford Blue with metal flakes.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Well the best bet would be to go to the auto part store. Preferably not auto zone or the such but like auto paint store. You can get the candy apple blue metallic you are looking for. Hard durable coating. Sherwin-Williams has an auto paint but you will have to check the store. Spray cans the best for a guitar unless you have a cap sprayer. Good luck.
Also you are gonna want to make sure you get either a Nitrocellulose or a Polyurethane paint. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT but Enamel paint, that will seal the guitar up like shrinkwrap. Also do not use a paint sealer.... that too will, obviously, seal the guitar up.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Last edited by Ranger01 at Jun 6, 2008,
^By don't use any sealers are you saying don't use sanding sealer if so, you are horribly mistaken.
Oh no, Im talking about paint sealer, it goes over the primer its to seal off the primer from the basecoat. If you go to a automotive paint store and buy paint (even if you tell them you need it for a guitar) they will still try to sell you the sealer.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Hmm, that lake placid blue is pretty close. It might be a tad lighter than i'm looking for, but it's so close that might work. I'm going to check a few auto paint stores around here and see what they got as well.
Part-o-Caster
Ibanez Destroyer
Ibanez 321MH
Quote by Ranger01
Oh no, Im talking about paint sealer, it goes over the primer its to seal off the primer from the basecoat. If you go to a automotive paint store and buy paint (even if you tell them you need it for a guitar) they will still try to sell you the sealer.

ahh I see, I've never had any experience with that. Every time I buy finishing supplies I either find them in the store for myself or order them online.