they start with some with some 5881's in the power section, i have heard that el34's are better for the normal marshall crunch? doesn't that require a mod though because the el34's are too hard on the circuitry? i'm just wondering because i'm most likely buying this amp and have ran into a couple with jjel34's in them and wondered if it would be worth it to buy it, or just buy the normal 5581's and then mod it and retube it later on
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Ok, very off topic, but anybody know a good site that details the marshall amp line. When I start seeing JCM and DSL and TSL my mind starts spinning. just a good explanation is all I'm thinking of.
Thanks
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Quote by acdclandon
they start with some with some 5881's in the power section, i have heard that el34's are better for the normal marshall crunch? doesn't that require a mod though because the el34's are too hard on the circuitry? i'm just wondering because i'm most likely buying this amp and have ran into a couple with jjel34's in them and wondered if it would be worth it to buy it, or just buy the normal 5581's and then mod it and retube it later on

Yes it does require a mod, certain aspects of the circuitry have to be changed to be able to take EL34s. It cost me around £120 which was for labour and included new tubes aswell. I can definately tell the difference since the mod, it has more balls and the tone has a bit more clarity to it. When I had the mod done the tech put in a few other circuit board changes aswell but these are just a few things he threw in. Anyway, I'd recommend it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Gutch220
The DSL and TSL are just versions of the JCM2000

Look Here

Ok, but I'm talking like a walkthrough of most of their product line, if not just the whole thing. like there's the JCM 900 and 2000, but what's the difference, and are there other JCMs? anyway, i got a ton of questions, I'd just like a site I could look through, or even a catalog

EDIT: ****, I just saw the link. thanks man
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Last edited by strat212 at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Yes it does require a mod, certain aspects of the circuitry have to be changed to be able to take EL34s. It cost me around £120 which was for labour and included new tubes aswell. I can definately tell the difference since the mod, it has more balls and the tone has a bit more clarity to it. When I had the mod done the tech put in a few other circuit board changes aswell but these are just a few things he threw in. Anyway, I'd recommend it.

actually satch i think you were the first i saw who was telling others of the mod
how ironic
yeah i'm thinking i'll just leave the standard (or whatever ones the former owner replace d them with) for a while and then later retube it, probably when one blows out
man i'm excited for this amp now
how is it satch?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Personally I find it excellent. I play a very wide variety of music such as blues, punk rock, classic rock, instrumental rock, sometimes metal and just about everything inbetween and it delivers these sounds superbly. Though for really heavy metal I'd suggest getting an OD but Metallica type gain can be acheived no problem with EQing. If you let me know what types of music you mainly play I'll give you my opinion in like a score out of 10.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Buy it The JCM 900 is a great amp, i love mine now, the gain is good, if you have EMG`s it`s awesome, mine has EL34`s , came factory like that, mines a 1990.

but i`m telling you, forget the O/D pedals been there done that.... get the MXR 108 10 band EQ, i just got one, and it sends that amp into sonic meltdown, it`ll run with any Mesa or Peavy 6505 with that 10 band EQ and sound better doing it.