I'm looking for an all tube combo amp (preferably a 2x12).
Max price would be about $600 USD and I don't mind buying used gear.
I would need decent cleans, a nice overdrive, and the ability to get sorta heavy.
I've been looking at the JCM 900 50 watt combo, but I thought I would get some other suggestions to compare it to.
Last edited by Entendu at Jun 8, 2008,
A peavey valve king might be a good option, maybe look at something from mesa/boogie
Quote by supe18
A peavey valve king might be a good option, maybe look at something from mesa/boogie

I've never seen anything cheap from mesa is the problem. I'll check up on the VK more.
You might also want to look at a used 5150 or 6505 combo. I have seen them used for around $600.
Quote by raider1
You might also want to look at a used 5150 or 6505 combo. I have seen them used for around $600.

I love the sound of the 5150/6505 for heavy stuff, but I don't want to sacrifice my cleans to get it. I'm not sure if it's versatile enough for me.
sounds like the Peavey VK would be your best bet.
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
A peavey classic, perhaps? you could get a 30w version and even save a little, but it doesn't have two speakers (why do you need them?) or get 50w... it has nice cleans, good drive, and it can get heavy(with decent OD and EQ) well it's no mesa, but it can get heavy. Just a option... i found it superior to valveking for crunch and clean, but it has less gain on tap. just an option, you should try them out, really.
Traynor YCV50 Blue. Add that to your list. It doesn't have 2 speakers but it will do what you are looking for.
I just wanted a 2x12 because if I started gigging I could have the option of hooking it up to a cab.
Quote by Entendu
I just wanted a 2x12 because if I started gigging I could have the option of hooking it up to a cab.
Most combo amps have an output for extension speakers.
Quote by gregs1020
Traynor YCV50 Blue. Add that to your list. It doesn't have 2 speakers but it will do what you are looking for.

Is the YCV50 going to be able to get like heavy? It has nice cleans and a nice OD, but can it do like sounds like Beloved(US) , Life In Your Way, It Prevails, etc....?
I don't think the traynor is going to get me a nice heavy tone also though.
Quote by Entendu
I've never seen anything cheap from mesa is the problem. I'll check up on the VK more.

Mesa F-30 or F-50. No Valveking IMO with that much money. Also look at Traynors. The YCV50 and YCS50 should be great for what you need.
I've heard the f-30 and f-50 sound different. Is this true? and if it is how?
EDIT: Also how good are the JCM900's cleans?
Last edited by Entendu at Jun 8, 2008,
The Valve King and Traynor are good choices. I tried the Traynor recently and was impressed by both channels on the amp.

A relatively cheap modeling amp that sounds quite impressive would be the Vox AD100VT. I have the Vox AD50VT and I think it's nice. There's lots of good high gain tones in there too.
from a Valveking perspective keep in mind:
112 - if you run line out to cab, you lose internal speaker and are limited to 16 ohms.
212 - i think you keep the 2 internal speakers and have switch for 16, 8, or 4.

maybe someone can help validate that.

212 will push more air but only slightly louder but much heavier.

the difference between the F30 and 50 is the 50 had 6L6's in it and the 30 had EL34's (I think or is it EL84s?)

EDIT: you can get some nice sounding cleans out of a JCM900 Not amazing or anything but definatly usable
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
the difference between the F30 and 50 is the 50 had 6L6's in it and the 30 had EL34's (I think or is it EL84s?)

EDIT: you can get some nice sounding cleans out of a JCM900 Not amazing or anything but definatly usable

What kind of difference in the sound is there between them? I'm sort of a tube noob so I don't really know what different kinds of tubes sound like.