Hello,
I'm trying to learn to improvise. In pentatonic.
Now I'm looking for some licks to learn because often I don't have an idea of what to do, and it gets repetitive and boring.
Do you guys have any links to some tabs (I'd prefer guitar pro) with basic to advanced guitar licks for rock/blues? For in A or E or something.

Thanks!
if your playing is repetitive and boring now, won't finding some licks to use just make you use those licks to make your playing repetitive and boring?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
if your playing is repetitive and boring now, won't finding some licks to use just make you use those licks to make your playing repetitive and boring?

welp, better not learn any new material ever again
Quote by Captain Garry
welp, better not learn any new material ever again

So we should encourage the TS to get stuck in the Pentatonic Rut that everyone has been in? Why not learn to play all over the fretboard and stay in key instead of pulling a couple licks you know out of your ass to improvise?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Lick vocabulary isn't pulling something out of your ass when it comes to improv. Whilst it should be ideal to improvise freely in the spot all jazz musicians repeat to familiar licks and patterns.
If the TS doesn't know what to do and is already playing boring, repetitive things, how are some pentatonic licks going to help? I could only imagine that that would get the TS to be stuck with only using pentatonic licks and then end up having to crawl out of another rut. Wouldn't it be better for TS to learn how to improvise across the fretboard using chord tones and such now and develop his/her own licks instead of getting stuck in the "Pentatonic Rut"?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I never disagreed with your statement about getting stuck in the pentatonic rut, I was just pointing out that licks aren't bad things.
I know.

Licks aren't bad things by any means but relying on them as a basis for improvising can greatly inhibit your creativity (e.g. the pentatonic rut), which is what i was trying to get across, not that "licks are bad"; sorry for not being clear.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
If the TS doesn't know what to do and is already playing boring, repetitive things, how are some pentatonic licks going to help? I could only imagine that that would get the TS to be stuck with only using pentatonic licks and then end up having to crawl out of another rut. Wouldn't it be better for TS to learn how to improvise across the fretboard using chord tones and such now and develop his/her own licks instead of getting stuck in the "Pentatonic Rut"?

Show him how to be musical with the scale. You don't get stuck in a rut by learning new ideas, it happens because you basically sit there and don't try anything new. The op sounded like hes at the level where he wants to get a better grasp with what he knows before learning a ton more patterns without learning what he can do with them.
Last edited by Captain Garry at Jun 6, 2008,
Learn your favourite solos, take their licks and make them your own.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by metal4all

What a load of crap your spewing. Learning pentatonic licks will not get the TS stuck in a rut, it will open up new ideas and build a good foundation to add on. Learning other peoples licks is a great way to becoming a good improviser. Its like learning to talk. First we copy the words we here from our paerants, we then begin to put words in to sentences from listening and copying others, after awhile we come up with our own way of saying things and can express ourselves in a unique way. The important part of my example was that we started by copying others, which gave us the foundation to build upon.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I suggest trying some new scales, the melodic minor scale works well for what you are doing IMO, and sort of adds a different feel, which my help trigger your creativity.

Also experiment with passing tones (notes that fall in between the intervals of the scale played between two notes on the scale) that can help a lot too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You guys misunderstood me. Technically, I'm not a bad player at all, problem is, I've never bothered to learn how to improvise, so, I don't really know what to do when I'm playing. Therefor, I'd like to have a look at some licks, to "inspire" me. I'm not planning on playing the same ones each time, and I AM planning on working on my "personal touch" but I need to start somewhere!!!
find a band or guitarist you like that uses the scale you want to practice and cop their stuff if inspiration is the only thing you want, I still stand by my earlier suggestions though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Do you know all of the 5 patterns that fits together on the fretboard of the pantatonic. ? Can you navigate well or decent all over the fretboard ?
Do you get a visual of the root , b3rd, 5th ,b7 at different places of the
fretboard? Do you get sometype of a visual from a refference piont or
veriouse reffernce ?

All you have to do is add 2 note back to get the diatonic

Sometimes I'll mix up the scales..such as in the key of C
play D min penta, Emin penta or Gmaj penta, F maj penta
over the corrosponding chords. it's a good excersice to be able
to navigate the fretboard of excerising my brain to see different
patterns and spot out the arpeggios of veriouse chords while
playing over a same backing.
Bwt...by playing those veriouse penta over their corrosponding
chords...I'm not playing out of the parent scale of C

I like micheal schenker becuase he dose wonders with the
pentatonic and he also mix it with other scales.....maybe you
might not like his playing style.
I think Clapton was deem GOD for playing the pentatonic the
way he dose.

There's so many riffs /licks out there. I fine it easier to just figure
them out by ear. Then just adjust the pitch to the key i want.

It helps me figure out the bends, slides, hammer, double stops ...ect

A cry babi is nice to have
Quote by radiantmoon
What a load of crap your spewing. Learning pentatonic licks will not get the TS stuck in a rut, it will open up new ideas and build a good foundation to add on. Learning other peoples licks is a great way to becoming a good improviser. Its like learning to talk. First we copy the words we here from our paerants, we then begin to put words in to sentences from listening and copying others, after awhile we come up with our own way of saying things and can express ourselves in a unique way. The important part of my example was that we started by copying others, which gave us the foundation to build upon.

Fuck off cunt. You don't have to say that what i said was a load of crap. I wasn't saying that what i said was 100% true and the only answer, i was saying it all with doubt and asking if it was right. I was hoping that someone who teaches guitar or something could come in and clear it up. There's nothing wrong with someone not being right about something; so don't say that i was spewing a load of crap. Thanks.

Sorry for not helping out TS.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Fuck off cunt. You don't have to say that what i said was a load of crap. I wasn't saying that what i said was 100% true and the only answer, i was saying it all with doubt and asking if it was right. I was hoping that someone who teaches guitar or something could come in and clear it up. There's nothing wrong with someone not being right about something; so don't say that i was spewing a load of crap. Thanks.

Sorry for not helping out TS.

Licks are ALWAYS helpful to learn. They give you new patterns to work with and make it easy to create new ideas and licks later on. If you think licks are supposed to be played the exact same way, you're wrong.
Quote by metal4all
Fuck off cunt.

This was just not necessary, not justified and accomplished nothing. There's a way to argue a point without resorting to this crap.

Anyway, TS, people get stuck in this so-called "pentatonic rut" simply because they take too linear of an approach to soloing with the scale. Take a look at Eric Johnson's work, and start incorporating some of the wider intervallic jumps that he uses in his playing. Also, a song I just finished (almost, anyway; the end of the solo's a little tough )learning is Tony MacAlpine's "Tears of Sahara"; the solo is beautifully done and features many little quirky licks that are almost entirely pentatonic. It's a great example of a creative use for the minor pentatonic scale (the song's in B minor FYI). A video's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CnDuXTxqg&feature=related

Check that out and download the tab on this site if you'd like to open up some new options.

EDIT: There's a long post in this thread that I made about exactly the same subject, it's around halfway down the first page: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=855723&page=1&pp=20
^that sounds dangerously like advertising. Your account looks dangerously like an advertising account.

+1 to smiley
The pentatonic rut is where all you can play is pentatonics in one shape.

Nothing wrong with pentatonics, as long as you know what your doing and not just playing random pentatonic notes, up and down in one single shape.

Goddamnit, even jazz players would use pentatonics.
that sounds dangerously like advertising. Your account looks dangerously like an advertising account.
The ads at the top of every page page look suspiciously like advertising as well...
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
The ads at the top of every page page look suspiciously like advertising as well...
do you think he paid zappp to advertise on UG?
Do you think it affects you?

Do you think youtube pays zappp for every link they get on this site?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Radiantmoon is correct.

Quote by ouchies
Licks are ALWAYS helpful to learn. They give you new patterns to work with and make it easy to create new ideas and licks later on. If you think licks are supposed to be played the exact same way, you're wrong.

You two obviously didn't read what i posted.

Demon and smiley, sorry, people piss me off when they put words in my mouth.

I'm not going to post any more of this **** cuz it's not helping the TS in any way.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥

Sorry for not helping out TS.[/

Do you really need to resort to name calling? What you said was a load of crap and thats why I said it.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Advertising account? Come on. I have a website full of free guitar lessons, and lots of lessons using the pentatonic scale. I am just trying to be helpful. The ads on my site help pay for the cost of running my website, since it's all free stuff. Almost all video lessons can be downloaded totally free.

I have been on this forum for quite a while.

Cheers,
RR

Quote by demonofthenight
^that sounds dangerously like advertising. Your account looks dangerously like an advertising account.

+1 to smiley
The pentatonic rut is where all you can play is pentatonics in one shape.

Nothing wrong with pentatonics, as long as you know what your doing and not just playing random pentatonic notes, up and down in one single shape.

Goddamnit, even jazz players would use pentatonics.
And posting to advertise said website is spam.
I don't think it was spam, it was relevant and helpful.

Feel free to put the link in your signature, however.
Why is this ok, but putting a link in his post is not?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I don't think it was spam, it was relevant and helpful.
Why is this ok, but putting a link in his post is not?
I don't consider it spam either, nor should I, but making a thread or post specifically to advertise is spam.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I don't consider it spam either, nor should I, but making a thread or post specifically to advertise is spam.
BGC, arent you an ex-mod?

I'm pretty sure she has some authority of saying whats spam and whats not.
Yeah someone said that use a wider range of intervals e.g try using perfect 5ths (7 frets) or 6ths (9 frets I think, someone correct me and I'll edit my post), I tried this the other day and it improved the sound of my playing a lot and it freed me up a bit. Also be sure to keep in key and try to move all around the fretboard, a good way to do this is by writing down all the notes on the fretboard with your specific tuning and then write down all the notes in the key you want to practice with and then try to solo over. Personally this sounds much better than a series of defined licks and if you do this you possibly will be able to come up with your own licks.
you can play patterns too. There are 5 notes in the scale. Try a pattern like 3-1-5, then next 4-2-1 and so on. Gives you new fingerings too work on too. Make up any pattern you can think of and apply.
Quote by demonofthenight

BGC an ex-mod? I've been here for 4 years and i don't remember that. Redwing_suck, Silent Deftone, nightwind, and elvenkindje (sorry if i missed someone) all were mods. I think you might think that since she was voted most likely to become a mod in the awards ceremony.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by demonofthenight

No.

Quote by demonofthenight

As for what's advertising and what's not, that's for mods to decide. If you feel it is, report it, done. We have no need for vigilantes.

Now, let's get this thread back on-topic, shall we?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
If you wanna learn licks, but are worried about getting stuck in the 'pentatonic rut' try listening to some songs and transcribing the licks yourself.

Figuring out the licks yourself will force you to really understand all the notes and how they work together, instead of just knowing a bunch of licks to play. Now you'll know a bunch of licks to play, but you'll be able to switch them up, change them around, do them backwards, fun stuff like that. Also don't be afraid to literally just go up and down the scale a little bit in between licks. Of course, you have to make it sound good, but don't just string together licks.