Hi i bought a VHT Ultralead off ebay and its been fine up until now
i hadn't played it since last sunday when i used it at band practice and it was fine.

I plugged it in to play today and its gone all quiet. I had a mess around with the knobs and it appears that the preamp is still responsive but the power amp volume control doesn't do much and even at full power its still very quiet.

Could this just mean i need to change the power amp tubes or will it need servicing?

to describe the sound it sounds very tinny like everything but the terble is backed off and its not very loud at all

Thanks very much
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Jun 6, 2008,
Well, some things to check would be fuses and cable from amp into cabinet. Your power tubes could be causing this problem...but normally they don't die such a quick death (or maybe I have been lucky..LOL!) Again check all your connections ... including your input line (your guitar volume, cable, stomps..etc.)

Oh, if your amp has a effects loops...run a cable in it.

Good Luck
Last edited by damnedone at Jun 6, 2008,
It's not on standby is it?
Check if all the power amp tubes are still lit. If not there's your problem.
Also check the fuse as mentioned above.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by damnedone
Well, some things to check would be fuses and cable from amp into cabinet. Your power tubes could be causing this problem...but normally they don't die such a quick death (or maybe I have been lucky..LOL!) Again check all your connections ... including your input line (your guitar volume, cable, stomps..etc.)

Oh, if your amp has a effects loops...run a cable in it.

Good Luck

k so this post is incorrect...
1. if it was the fuse, it wouldn't turn on
2. the cable wouldn't make it quieter(i think?)
3. he bought it used, so the power tubes could have been old, its not a new amp... read the TS's post before you post your own...

I'd replace all the tubes, that's probably your best bet
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by samtewari
Hi i bought a VHT Ultralead off ebay and its been fine up until now
i hadn't played it since last sunday when i used it at band practice and it was fine.

I plugged it in to play today and its gone all quiet. I had a mess around with the knobs and it appears that the preamp is still responsive but the power amp volume control doesn't do much and even at full power its still very quiet.

Could this just mean i need to change the power amp tubes or will it need servicing?

to describe the sound it sounds very tinny like everything but the terble is backed off and its not very loud at all

Thanks very much

Maybe the amp is fine and you just went deaf.... Could happen i've seen crazier things lol
Hey thanks for the responses, i've just had another attempt at turning the amp on and i had a look at the valves

It appears that the two valves on the left are glowing alot less than the two on the right, does this mean i should replace the left ones?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
unless you can bias by tube pairs, you'll need a matched set of tubes, so you should replace all of them. The brighter tubes are probably the pair that's shorting.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids