All I want is a program/plugin/anything that I can use on my macbook that allows me to run a mic in and vocode in real time with a midi keyboard, then output to my speakers. Does this exist? I want to use it as a live tool, and I don't want to spend $400 on a MicroKorg (I think I'm going to have to, at this rate). I've been searching all day. What am I missing?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Ableton Live (or any program that run VST/AU effects in real time) and NI Vokator
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well I have ableton...so the Vokator program (I've heard of it, but can't afford it) can do real time midi/microphone vocoding?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
yes, so can Orange Vocoder, but it sucks, actually Ableton should be able to run most plugins in real time, that's more dependent on the host than the plugin.

Last.fm
Yeah, I got a few free vocoders, but they had me setting up pre recorded wav files and mixing them and feeding them into the plugin...I just want to run vocals into the plugin and control synth pitch with a midi keyboard for real time daft punk-esque stuff.

Oh, and thank you so much for you quick and knowledgeable help! I really didn't expect any answers, much less useful and correct ones.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jun 6, 2008,
Okay, so I got Vokator and I'm running it as a standalone right now...I can't get it to pick up my mic at ALL. I'm running a mixer into my mac's line in. The program interacts with my midi keyboard, but I can't get live mic to go in. Any tips?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
you have to use Ableton Live and use Vokator as an effect on whatever track your mic is routed to, at least that's how I do it, only I usually use Sonar of FL, it know it works in Live because I've done it before.

Last.fm
I don't know if it's too much to ask, but if you can just run through the procedure for making that work, that would be awesome. I'm not very good with Live yet, I'm just making the transition from GarageBand.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
what version of live are you using? I haven't used it since like version 4, but i can probably figure it out, though it should be in the manual.

Last.fm
It's version 7 lite and I tried the manual but it really was no help. It barely touches on initial setup, it's all about setting parameters of effects.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
yeah then you should just be able to drop the effect into the channel, and if you can alway ask on the ableton forums, because there have been some major changes since i had it,

Last.fm
When I run it like that, I can't get the keyboard to control anything. I just can't win!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
When I run it like that, I can't get the keyboard to control anything. I just can't win!

yeah talk to the people at the ableton forum or at KVR audio, those people really know their shit. I would say get Fruity Loops, but you have a Mac, you may need the full version of Live.

Last.fm
The guys at the ableton forum just answered it for me. Thanks for pointing me over there. Funny thing about FL is that I have a PC right next to my mac for the SOLE PURPOSE of using FL. The thing is, I don't really know how to use it past drum beats. I use it for beat sequencing, then line out live to whatever I'm recording with on my mac.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass