Page 1 of 2
Ive played for a year and i can play chords and some riffs,but the only song i know all the way through is Californiacation (by the RHCP) and i cant even play it through at the same speed the whole time, and with out any mistakes!!! i play for like 2 hours a day why do i still suck!?!??! i feel like im gonna cry
It's because of poor practicing routines and your attitude.
I plays guitars.
You need to practice a lot before beginning to be good, some learn and become better fast, some don't. For your timing problem, use a metronome. For your mistakes problem, practice.
Quote by MrGoodyear812
Ive played for a year and i can play chords and some riffs,but the only song i know all the way through is Californiacation (by the RHCP) and i cant even play it through at the same speed the whole time, and with out any mistakes!!! i play for like 2 hours a day why do i still suck!?!??! i feel like im gonna cry

Lulz.
heres a tip...dont try so hard to learn songs all the time, you'll jst forget them. Begin making your own songs. Learn a few real scales and your pentonic scales and improv to songs instead of trying to learn them. though learning the techniques people use in songs is good to do also, but learn how to use them in your own playing
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
Quote by 2003LP

This, you can't expect to be good within a year.....I've been playing three years and I'm still really mediocre. keep practicing and stop ****ing whining.....

Quote by Lamrick21
heres a tip...dont try so hard to learn songs all the time, you'll jst forget them. Begin making your own songs. Learn a few real scales and your pentonic scales and improv to songs instead of trying to learn them. though learning the techniques people use in songs is good to do also, but learn how to use them in your own playing
If you learn them correctly you shouldn't forget them unless you play them once or twice after learning them then move on.....Learn other people's songs helps you get your techniques down a little more smoothly, helps you with timing and give you things to practice with.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jun 6, 2008,
try different songs, have a little more of a variety. i've only been playing for a year and variety in what you play diffently helps. just keep playin
it takes time dude.. ive been playing 4 years and i still need to improve quite a bit u just gotta be patient and like wat everyone else said develop good practice habits
dont worry about the mistake thing... it happens to all guitar players novice to expert... you probally are not that bad... but to make yourself better i would suggest maybe learning some scales to help with your techneque, speed, and accuracy. over time your accuracy and dexterity will improve. guitar is not a 1 week afair... it takes years to get really good. i know lots of guys that think they suck and quit even though i knew they had lots of potential. its just that they werent learning as fast as they wanted to...

just keep playing and things will improve... and try the scales. they worked for me
Quote by thebroken
No, but one time satan came out of my air vent and started playing death metal. That, or I should stop drinking.
Quote by ShredGod George
tell a doctor, the pit'll have you putting icyhot on your penis before the nights over
Quote by MrGoodyear812

guitar is hard
chill out brother

gain some confidence, go pick that guitar up right now, jam, and be patient.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
If you think you are bad then you always will be. You just need to know you will get better with practice and eventually you'll get better.
I believe someone famous said this, and excuse me if i'm wrong:

"Practice is nothing without confidence in oneself." If you have that mindset and you practice regardless, then your always going to suck. I've been playing for 6 months, and throughout my practice I think "Man, that was good! I am one BAMF at guitar!" Now needless to say, there are better guitarists (a lot better) than myself out there, but i'm still pretty good.

So get happy, pick up your guitar, and try another tab. I suggest Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones. It sounds good and clean, and it clears my head when I play it. Not to mention it's quite fun.
As said before, guitar takes time to learn, and everyone learns at a different pace. The most important thing is to not give up.

Here's a tip: record yourself playing Californication. Then, after a few more weeks of practicing the song, record it again and compare them. You'll see progress that you couldn't see when you were just playing from day to day. You'll be surprised.
Don't concentrate on exercises, concentrate on playing guitar (just jam out to whatever you find, you'll suck in the beginning, but after a while you'll be on your way) , and then do some exercises, 'cause if you only do exercises, you're never gonna do anything else than shredding through those very exercises. And mindless shredding sucks.
the storm is not the weather

Quote by XaosKnight
i just found out that unofficial tabs are illeagal. so does this mean its a sin for me to learn guitar that way. i think i may just quit guitar cuz its not gonna be fun any more
You're at the point where so many 'wannabe' guitarists give up and go find another thing to do, like smoke weed. So unless that appeals to ya, dont give up.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Seems like the TS has abandoned the thread. -_-
Anyway, don't give up man. Think optimistic and practicw effectively.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
OMG I had a long ass reply to this and the ****ing computer did something and lost it...so...just walk away from you guitar for a week, listen to music and remember why you started in the first place. Then only when you are motivated to learn again, come back and try different ****, have fun...

This is not even close to what I first wrote...oh well...damnit
In the Valley of Vung
1. Relax

2. Play

I think you're stressing yourself to much, guitar isn't a competition, it's about expressing yourself. It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the skills that need to be mastered to be an effective guitarist. Make a list of all things you want to improve on, pick the one that needs the most work, find some lessons and/or exercises that are designed to strenghthen those areas and practice them.
Spend less time on forums reading about stuff you don't know yet and concentrate on what you DO know and build from that. Don't set your sights too high either, you need realistic, short term goals in order to progress.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by MrGoodyear812

Get a metronome or use a free one on pc!!!
Best thing you can do set it to the fastest tempo you can play the song/Riff/Solo/Warm Up and even if you cant play it very fast then SLOWLY increase the tempo ans bring your playing up to speed. Best thing you can do
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Californication was the first song I learned, and I found the bridge to be quite hard on it, so what I did was left that song for a bit, and practiced other songs I enjoyed. Some of the songs were Snow ((Hey Oh)) and Dani California. They were much harder songs that Californication, but I kept practicing playing them, and learning how (On Dani California I didn't realise you bared the whole fret on the introduction, was trying to play it by holding the E string and then holding a power chord shape. I realised how to play it more efficiently and learnt a new technique. I then went back to Californication and found that the part I struggled with was now pretty easy.

What I'm trying to say is, if you get stuck on a song, learn another one, don't ponder around it playing the bit you can play over and over again. Then come back to that song, and see if you can play it all.

Also, scales help a lot, even if you don't realise at the time. They extend you reach, your speed, your strength, and obviously they are important... well because they're scales you need to know them.

Just remember it's not a competition, practice as long as you can whilst enjoying it. If you're not enjoying practicing then take a break. If you never enjoy practicing ever again... then I dunno. lol
Quote by 2003LP

Quoted for truth.

If you're really that exasarbated, you really don't know what you're doing wrong, and you really want to progress, spend $15-20 at any music shop and take a couple lessons. What's holding you back is while you're learning how to make notes on a fretboard, you aren't learning why. Get a couple scales and some good technique practices (as provided by a teacher, or youtube if you can't afford it) under your belt.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jun 6, 2008,
Try some really easy songs to build your confidence. Should be able to get through these songs with no trouble;

System Of A Down - Sugar
Fear Factory/Gary Numan - Cars
Riffs to such songs as; Smoke On The Water, Enter Sandman, Iron Man

And Grunge music is pretty simple so try to learn some of that too. It's the way i improved and i never actually practiced in the sense of scales and exercises and stuff like that i just found a tab and practiced with that and hey i'm not too bad for also a year i can play quite a lot of songs but as in actually playing guitar and not anyone elses music i suck so i suggest you get on those exercises early on =]
Quote by steven seagull
Spend less time on forums reading about stuff you don't know yet and concentrate on what you DO know and build from that. Don't set your sights too high either, you need realistic, short term goals in order to progress.

This, or a pick of destiny.

Seriously though... at about a year of playing, I learned my first scales. Up until then, I just played a bunch of different licks over and over and over to get finger control. Learn some scales, start making up some riffs. Have fun with it and just start creating. I found that I got bored with guitar when I was just playing other peoples songs... felt like I was trapped, always playing with less skill than songs were meant to be played with. Just keep learning songs, but also take a break from it and mess around and play some random licks. It will help your creative side breathe and make playing a lot more fun.
Attitude, its all in your attitude.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by imdeth
Try some really easy songs to build your confidence. Should be able to get through these songs with no trouble;

System Of A Down - Sugar
Fear Factory/Gary Numan - Cars
Riffs to such songs as; Smoke On The Water, Enter Sandman, Iron Man

And Grunge music is pretty simple so try to learn some of that too. It's the way i improved and i never actually practiced in the sense of scales and exercises and stuff like that i just found a tab and practiced with that and hey i'm not too bad for also a year i can play quite a lot of songs but as in actually playing guitar and not anyone elses music i suck so i suggest you get on those exercises early on =]

QFT You can find a lot of fun yet easy riffs in Grunge. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains all have cool sounding riffs that are easy and simple solos.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Solid Advice as for the first year, I had the same trouble:

-Don't try to learn songs and expect to make you better at playing
-Learn chords and scales then make your own songs (this will make you more versatile, enable you to know the fretboard and is just more fun)
-Use a metronome for everything and START SLOW (metronomes are boring as ****, but effective)
- Practice on technique more than song work... this will make learning/making songs easy
- MAKE YOUR OWN excercises for "before playing"... This helps with finger dexterity... like chromatic scale runs, or very awkward finger patterns.
- Learn basic theory (ie. chords, scales and modes... how are they made?)
- If you play metal or use gain, get rid of it... even if a song requires distortion... practice/learn it without distortion, this will make it flawless.

-MOST IMPORTANT: Have fun... there's no point in playing guitar if you don't like it... so only do things that you want to do.
Quote by roshjosh
Solid Advice as for the first year, I had the same trouble:

-Don't try to learn songs and expect to make you better at playing
-Learn chords and scales then make your own songs (this will make you more versatile, enable you to know the fretboard and is just more fun)
-Use a metronome for everything and START SLOW (metronomes are boring as ****, but effective)
- Practice on technique more than song work... this will make learning/making songs easy
- MAKE YOUR OWN excercises for "before playing"... This helps with finger dexterity... like chromatic scale runs, or very awkward finger patterns.
- Learn basic theory (ie. chords, scales and modes... how are they made?)
- If you play metal or use gain, get rid of it... even if a song requires distortion... practice/learn it without distortion, this will make it flawless.

-MOST IMPORTANT: Have fun... there's no point in playing guitar if you don't like it... so only do things that you want to do.

Alot of people say this but, I disagree. I believe distortion helps your "natural" muting and makes you more careful. I've never had distortion cover up any mistakes since i've been playing.
I've been playing more or less for 2 and a half years really casually, mostly weekends etc. and only recently learned to play Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, because I always thought I wouldn't be able to.

Did a lot for my confidence, next song I'm going to do is something by Van Halen. Learn a song you like a lot and your confidence will sky rocket. Playing guitar isn't about being good anyway, it's about having fun.
the speed at which you learn is directly proportional to how much time you spend learning.

some ppl i know are absoloutley insane shredders after 5 years. Some still just fiddle about and strum a little.

if you want to learn fast , you have to spend hours each day to be any good after a couple of hours
You cant exactly be expected to be amazing after a year....just practice a LOT more than you do (I play aobut 5 hours a day at least, I've also been playing a year), and criticizm helps. I had people in the guitar center coming up to me critiquing my playing, and it helped immensely. Also, if you dont have one, get a teacher. It helps.

Hope that helped a bit...........

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

have a positive attitude, find some music that inspire's you.

for example im listening to some buckethead and im learning the slower, easy part's.. im leaving the harder part's for now, but just learning a few riff's that i love hearing really help me with inspiration and determination to master the harder part's and to progress.

take a few day's out from it and just listen to music, play game's, hang with friend's and when you feel like it just pick up your guitar and have a little mess around with it!

you've spent a year at it, why give up now? it's only time wasted if you dont carry on...
Quote by GeekInThePink
You've only been playing a year. Just practice. You'll get better!

youre being to hard on yourself..I practiced speed for a year before I started
to see a real difference. It takes time...almost two years of shredding practice
for me..and i can shred...but i still need more practice before i can do an
exhibition solo..Shredding for 5 mins without it becoming boring takes talent.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
It's Gods punishment for not trying to learn metal.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Page 1 of 2