Looking for a versatile amp. So far I plan to spend around 400 on a Vox AD50VT. Might get a valveking 112 combo.

I play anything from contemporary christian[super clean/sweet overdrive like relient k] to metalcore. I am planning to gig with a Rock band, not metal. I'm preferring a tube amp if I can get a cheap one[like the VK] but will get a hybrid[like the AD50VT] if you guys say it's more versatile.
I got some good guitars, yo.
The VK will work well for what you want. You'll probably need some kind of an OD to do more modern metal as it's only good up to thrash kind of stuff. I've been told that with a new speaker and new tubes these amps really shine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The VK will work well for what you want. You'll probably need some kind of an OD to do more modern metal as it's only good up to thrash kind of stuff. I've been told that with a new speaker and new tubes these amps really shine.

So the VK can get This kind of overdrive straight out of the amp?
Yeah, that's barely any gain at all. If you're playing cleanier stuff like that I would suggest something like a Hot Rod Deluxe since it has way better cleans, the OD sucks, but a TS in front of the clean channel works amazingly. They run for about 400 on Ebay.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, that's barely any gain at all. If you're playing cleanier stuff like that I would suggest something like a Hot Rod Deluxe since it has way better cleans, the OD sucks, but a TS in front of the clean channel works amazingly. They run for about 400 on Ebay.

Not doing ebay, new only. Unless I find a nice consignment deal.
Where do you live? Buying used you can get a lot more for your money.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd get a valveking, it will do wayyyyy more gain than you need if your playing relient k. I have one, and it sounds very good for the price.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by gregs1020
Where do you live? Buying used you can get a lot more for your money.

Wilmington NC.
Leat - you have a classic problem here. Same problem i had. I don't see the VK112 as giving you 'super sweet cleans' just like I don't see a Fender giving you metelcore or any natural disti. Same reason i opted not to get a Blues Jr or a HRD.

I kinda wish Fender would come out with a lower cost Valveking type amp that had more gain and clip earlier on in volume stage.

tough choice.

i keep working on my VK clean channel to see how clean i can get it and i bet a speaker/tube swap will help but not in your immediate budget.

can you go play some of these amps yourself? i've had my VK for a month now and just now getting all the settings the way i want it so it takes time. i know i keep saying that. i'll shut up now.

;
The Vox Valvetronix is the most versatile amp in that price range. Yes, you can go from jazzy cleans to thrashy distortion.

The Valveking does have a sharper low end than the Vox, though.

I persoanally think the cleans on the Valveking are dull and lifeless.