Ok, so I have a Big Muff. The Bypass on it doesn't work correctly, so I am getting a new one (thanks to the GC performance guarantee, it'll be free).

But then I got to thinkin: Should I get a Russian muff and try to fix the bypass on the muff that I already have? Or should I just get a new USA Big Muff?

Thoughts?
well try out the Russian Muff and see if you like it, they sound fairly different, I prefer the Russian Muff but a lot of guitarists don't.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
both sound a bit different. play both and choose the one you like better
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Yeah, I tried out the Russian Muff when I bought my Big Muff, and I liked the bite it had, but I liked the creaminess of the USA muff, so I bought it.

My question is would it be worth it to try and fix my broken muff.
if it's only bypass there could just be a loose wire on the switch, which is very easy to fix, or you may need a new switch, also very easy, open it up and take a look and see if you can spot anything that is obviously wrong.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if it's only bypass there could just be a loose wire on the switch, which is very easy to fix, or you may need a new switch, also very easy, open it up and take a look and see if you can spot anything that is obviously wrong.

Sounds good, I'ma do that right now.
Ok, so I opened it up and I think I found the problem. It seems to be the output jack that's messed up. I bypassed the circuit and touched the jack with my finger, and it worked.

Should I record sound clips so y'all know what I'm saying?
well if it sounds like it should then you'll probably be fine. or if you mean the bypass is only messed when the fuzz circuit is in the loop, then that could be a more serious problem.

Last.fm
Ok, this is how it is messed up.

I plug the guitar into the pedal. I plug the pedal into the guitar input of the amp, so it's inline. The pedal is bypassed, turned off, or whatever. I click it on, and it sounds fine, the signal is getting to the amp. I click it off and it seems like less or no signal is getting to the amp.

When I combine it with my other effects, namely my OD pedal that I use as a boost, it boosts the signal. It just sounds thin, and not at all like it should.

When I opened it up and touched the inside of output jack with my finger, suddenly, the signal went through fully and clearly(pedal off). I turned the pedal on and turned it back off. It went back to the original problem.

If I change the jack, will it work?
that sounds more like a problem with the switch, but if you don't feel like having a tech look at it, replace both.

Last.fm
Thanks. I'm assuming that it would be relatively cheap to do so? Like maybe 5 bucks for the parts?
yeah make sure you get the right switch though, and it may be closer to $10 for everything.

Last.fm
Well that ain't bad at all. You've been very helpful, and I thank you for it.

Are there any mods that would be worth doing? Does anyone know?
theres probably a few, like putting in germanium transistors, and putting in a boss style power adapter.

Last.fm