Hey everyone. I'm in a band that plays somewhat hardcore music, sounds a little like KsE. And recently I've been trying to book some shows, and we've been denied everytime so far for not being 'Christian' enough. It's weird, because, I'm very Christian, but I refuse to label our music Christian. I write songs praising God, and about my faith, but I still refuse to call it Christian, because it seems the Christian bands in my area just using the title to get popular and have places to play. I feel discriminated against by my own religion, and it just seems unfair. Mind you I live in Arkansas, so there isn't a HUGE hardcore population. What do you guys think, and do the Christian bands in your area seem to pose for the popularity? Sorry about my little rant, I just can't believe the close-mindedness of the people around here.
Yes. Keep in mind I'm horribad at writing lyrics though.

I see the dirt behind your eyes,
deep inside your mind
---
I reject the definition of you
Your insecurity is nothing new

Maybe you can play tricks on the lonely mind
But I'm always myself, by God's side.
---
Stay with me,
from Earth to Sea

And from Heaven, to Hell

We can persist
our faith is admist,

We fight a war,
On the inside

We fight ourselves
---
My cause is clear
I will always hold you dear

You have told whats true
It takes you to pursue
---
My one question and then I'm through,
Do you think Jesus
Ever exiled those different than you?
---
Stay with me,
from Earth to Sea

And from Heaven, to Hell

We can persist
our faith is admist,

We fight a war,
On the inside

We fight ourselves
---

---
Do you think Jesus
---
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Yes. Keep in mind I'm horribad at writing lyrics though.

I see the dirt behind your eyes,
deep inside your mind
---

---
Stay with me,
from Earth to Sea

And from Heaven, to Hell

We can persist
our faith is admist,

We fight a war,
On the inside

We fight ourselves
---
My cause is clear
I will always hold you dear

You have told whats true
It takes you to pursue
---
Do you think Jesus
---
Stay with me,
from Earth to Sea

And from Heaven, to Hell

We can persist
our faith is admist,

We fight a war,
On the inside

We fight ourselves
---

---
Do you think Jesus
---

Sounds like Christian lyrics to me. What exactly is your problem?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Sounds like Christian lyrics to me. What exactly is your problem?

I can't get any gigs, and were always rejected for not being 'Christian' enough. I just don't call our music 'Christian' music. And I've seen the people that DO call their music that, smoke pot, and everything else under the sun. I'm just a little unhappy right now that people are that close minded.

Maybe I'd get more gigs if I just called our music Christian, but I refuse to do that because the only reason I'd be doing it is to get more gigs, and unlike other local bands, I don't believe in God for the gigs. :P

EDIT:

Quote by jakewynnrocks
ill sign a petition for u...

Haha, thanks, maybe we should all start one. :P
Quote by HunterRiggs10
I can't get any gigs, and were always rejected for not being 'Christian' enough. I just don't call our music 'Christian' music. And I've seen the people that DO call their music that, smoke pot, and everything else under the sun. I'm just a little unhappy right now that people are that close minded.

Maybe I'd get more gigs if I just called our music Christian, but I refuse to do that because the only reason I'd be doing it is to get more gigs, and unlike other local bands, I don't believe in God for the gigs. :P

EDIT:

Haha, thanks, maybe we should all start one. :P

So you're mad that like a alternitive band is calling themselves christian to just get a venue to play?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So you're mad that like a alternitive band is calling themselves christian to just get a venue to play?

Exactly.

And I'm not saying all Christian bands are like this, I just see some of them doing it. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it needs to be brought up.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Exactly.

And I'm not saying all Christian bands are like this, I just see some of them doing it. And I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it needs to be brought up.

hmmm I have never experianced a place where you got more shows because you were christian, it is normally the other way around.
^ Indeed, the concept seems quite alien to me. Where I'm from bands get gigs due to popularity and musical skill.

Perhaps you should try proving your Christian credentials by giving examples of your lyrics to the promoter?
Quote by Meatball200
^ Indeed, the concept seems quite alien to me. Where I'm from bands get gigs due to popularity and musical skill.

Perhaps you should try proving your Christian credentials by giving examples of your lyrics to the promoter?

+1 this is the best thing I think you could do.
Quote by Meatball200

I'm going to try that. And I don't know, maybe it's just the town I'm looking into playing at. Most venues are owned by the churches, so yeah. Thanks for the help everybody, this has been getting on my nerves for a while.

Also, since it IS the summer, we may try to go and gig further off from our city.
Zao (one of the first pioneering christian metalcore bands) has had the same problem for the entirety of their 15 year existence. A few of the members seem to have annulled their faith because of their rejection by churches AND the music scene for being too Christian or not Christian enough.

All I can say is write the music that entertains you, makes you happy, and "brings you closer to God" if that is what you seek. Don't jump through hoops to meet others expectations if you feel like what you are doing is the best you can do, and it feels right for you.
Quote by Aveks
Zao (one of the first pioneering christian metalcore bands) has had the same problem for the entirety of their 15 year existence. A few of the members seem to have annulled their faith because of their rejection by churches AND the music scene for being too Christian or not Christian enough.

All I can say is write the music that entertains you, makes you happy, and "brings you closer to God" if that is what you seek. Don't jump through hoops to meet others expectations if you feel like what you are doing is the best you can do, and it feels right for you.

Thanks a bunch man. Stuff like this helps me out a lot.
Or, you could say something like, "Hi, I'm from *insert name here*, we're a christian themed-hardcore band, we were wondering you had an opening this friday nig..." and so on and so forth.

You aren't saying you're Christian, you can bring lyrics along, and just be really nice and confident.

Good luck to ya, all the same.
if you're gonna write lyrics only about praising god, then you're a christian band, deal with it.
Quote by Internal Chaos
Or, you could say something like, "Hi, I'm from *insert name here*, we're a christian themed-hardcore band, we were wondering you had an opening this friday nig..." and so on and so forth.

You aren't saying you're Christian, you can bring lyrics along, and just be really nice and confident.

Friday nig...
nigs on friday huh...
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Quote by Internal Chaos

I laughed because your avatar appears to be Nergal, a man who burns Bibles on stage.
Quote by Internal Chaos
Yeah, all venue owners are black, and are only talked to with racially disrespectful slang. In my area, anyway.

without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by Internal Chaos

Except them fucking *insert minority group*...

they took our jobs!
without fun
hope you had a good time
Quote by Internal Chaos
Haha, I'm also the founder of the Satanic Group on UG

Aah well, I hate no one

In all honesty I really like LaVeyan Satanism. Like any philosophy it has its flaws, but I enjoy a lot of the things it discusses...

Particularly minding your own damn business, and being respectful to everyone, even though you're really looking out for yourself. If I had to pick a friend who was a Christian or a friend who was a satanist, I would go with the satanist.
If I had to pick a friend who was Christian or a friend who was Satanic, I'll pick the better friend

I can see why some people don't agree with it, but it works for me, and in my eyes, that's all that matters.