k here's the deal:

when it comes to writing for my band it is always so much easier to do softer songs than hard rock ones because a simple guitar melody is always so much easier and quicker to write. When we preform these songs everyone, including myself, looks as bored as hell. There's no actual energy in those songs. Most of all i feel bad for my drummer. He is an amazing drummer but is always reduced to playing these slow songs and he looks like he's bored out of his mind.

What I'm wondering is what would a good cover song for us to do that could give everyone, especially the drummer, a good time. I've been looking around and haven't found many songs that have a fast beat and is fun for everyone. Some help would be appreciated. Thanks.
St. Anger.

Maybe no guitar solo but the drums are mad, aye.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
stockholme syndrome, or any other muse song is pretty fun to play. It's a decent guitar part with some sweet drums and decent bass part. And its not too technically challenging
well if you want a really good drum part for a hard rock song, i would recommend Down With the Sickness by Disturbed, cool song, cool riff, and great drums
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
Maybe "Running Free" by Iron Maiden? Or anything by them really. Maybe even Two Minutes to Midnight.
Quote by Wigert
St. Anger.

Maybe no guitar solo but the drums are mad, aye.

i'm liking that idea, doing that one never even crossed my mind
Paul Stanley - Live to win
All American Rejects - Move along (Hate the song but drums are main part of song)
Bruce Springsteen - Badlands, Born to run, Born in the USA.

More Famliar songs for a crowd. Not the greatest (Other than born to run ) but they work
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Option 1: Jam Session:
Well heres what you do... You either have the drummer start jammin... Then turn distortion on... mess around... either when you get that look of "Woah! that was cool!" or you know it was... play it over again... let everyone have their shot at it in the jam... Its how a basic jam session works...

Option 2: Set the Crowd alite:
Now things you can do during soft songs on stage you can do some stage tricks *they are cooler if they are during transitions or solos*. Get animated dude... If you animated the crowd will get pumped... If guys have fun up their thats all that matters... The crowds just there to see you play... not to see you rehearse perfectly...

Option 3: Learn some covers:
A couple good songs to learn... they always get the crowd pumped...
The Longest Day - Iron Maiden
Greyscale - Embers Arise
Catfish - Dank Lemon *Lol my old band's song...*
Any old metallica, any megadeth, and any moshing songs...

Option 4:
Let me join... No kidding, if your metal band, I literally come up with bad ass songs all the time. I learn quickly and live and on and around the stage!
lol
hope this helps!
Its funny because my friends band ran into the same problem. They wrote their own songs that did seem fairly boring. So they did a cover to the Angels and Airwaves song "The Adventure" I watched them play (after a couple months of practice) and the energy was through the roof compared to their old songs. your drummer would not be bored during this song i can almost guarantee it lol. You can try to cover "the gift" another AVA song, which your drummer would have a field day with if he is as good as you say he is lol.
Like the dude above said, the Jam is the key to creativity and musical development in my mind. Helps you train your ear and get a feel of how to fit with whatever the other musicians are doing.

If you want some hard rock covers, do some Rage Against the Machine covers. Bulls on Parade and Freedom come to mind.
yeah, he's actually a really amazing drummer and right now i'm really liking 'The Adventure' 'The Gift' and 'St. Anger'. We're not a metal band and I'm not even that into metal but after listening to most of my metal music on my iTunes i see thats where all the good drums are and I really want my drummer to have a good time because he deserves it. Thanks gonna get those three probably and some metal.

and for the jam idea, we do that all the time and have started several songs like that but i just wanted some cover song that he could be the spotlight on because i really want showcase him, with his skill he doesn't deserve to be in the back playing the same thing a billion times per song.
Last edited by Les Paul57 at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by Les Paul57
yeah, he's actually a really amazing drummer and right now i'm really liking 'The Adventure' 'The Gift' and 'St. Anger'. We're not a metal band and I'm not even that into metal but after listening to most of my metal music on my iTunes i see thats where all the good drums are and I really want my drummer to have a good time because he deserves it. Thanks gonna get those three probably and some metal.

yeah you definately wouldnt want your drummers skills to go to waste. Even with the guitarist, bassist and singer you dont want to waste any of the talent. This will show how much fun your drummer will have lol this is an amazing drum cover of the gift...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m5CPty0K5Cs
Obstacle 1 - Interpol

Interpol has a pretty good mix of talent, good bass, good drums, catchy yet uncomplicated riffs, good vocals if you're into droney kinda post -punk. Good band, fun song. It gets crowds attention quickly.

Electioneering - Radiohead
It's Radiohead, 'nuff said.
What you own is your own kingdom
What you do is your own glory
What you love is your own power
What you live is your own story
Quote by 6stringnoob
yeah you definately wouldnt want your drummers skills to go to waste. Even with the guitarist, bassist and singer you dont want to waste any of the talent. This will show how much fun your drummer will have lol this is an amazing drum cover of the gift...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m5CPty0K5Cs

that looks great. thanks. me and the other band members will learn the parts quickly (sound easy) and surprise him next practice. he really deserves this.
yeah if you want a song that the whole band can feel the energy, i suggest the adventure due to the fact the guitar and bass in the gift is fairly simple and mundane (but no need to worry because the adventure is a pretty sweet song on drums too)
pick a rush song
like 2112
just the first 2 parts(overture and temples)
or fly by night
or by-tor and the snow dog

all great songs
with great parts
Valhalla - Blind Guardian. ---------------->My band loves playing it!
Dont Say a Word - Sonata Arctica
Run to the Hills - Iron maiden

Those are pretty good, i suppose
Rock and Roll- Led Zeppelin

Or Johnny B Goode?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
play some punk, old school stuff like the clash, or the ramones.
play some old ac/dc tunes they always go over well if the singer can just half ass cover bon scott or brian johnson.
lynard skynard, you gotta be able to do skynard here in ga, whether you do covers or origionals
remember cheesy aint always abad thing when playing to a crowd especially if the crowd is alittle older....cheap trick
and the easy metallica creeping death, sandman, fade to black,....good stuff
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab