I finished this about twenty minutes ago and I am pretty proud of it. I did my first dueling solos type thing in this one. It changes riffs quite frequently, hence the name I came up with. Anyways, hope you enjoy, C4C of course.
Attachments:
Bipolar.zip
Blatant Dream Theater rip off.
Last edited by Rolento at Jun 6, 2008,
pretty good, didn't hear the hardcore in it though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
The one riff sounds like Constant Motion. Lay off the diminished runs too. Besides those two complaints, it was pretty good.
wtf, i would put money on half of them riffs are in various DT songs as ive heard a few of them before like the intro riff and the funky styled riff and that first diminished section. but if im wrong thats genious, but i take it from the other guys that im right in thinking some of these are ripped off.
Very nice in parts.
The intro is a little odd. A bit sort of cheesy epicy for my liking.

I dont really like chug either. The rhythm is too irregular.

Verse 1 and 2 - it is overly complicated, and the riff (i use the term loosely) is just a big mess of diminish-ocity. not catchy enough!

Verse 3- wow- more like it. it has a regular headbangin time signiature which is always more comfortable that 11/8, lol. great nice drums too.

Verse 4 is also nice.

Verse 5, isnt as good as verse 4, it needs to be built up in a different way than melodic harmonies.

Instrumental interlude is a very memorable riff- this is what crazy time signiatures are for, not verse 1 n 2!

The next riff is ok, fairly catchy.

Verse 7 is very cool indeedyo.

hilarious tapping. if your band can really do this i want to kiss your bassists arse!

Earthshattering chugs, upto pre solo. all pretty nice

Solos- what can i say.

the end riff- this is a riff that should be used through the song. its great!

overall very nice, just needs a fair bit of editing.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
rush. thats about it. i dont listen to prog metal at all. praps i should........
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
id like to change my opinion on this song, of course now influenced
from what ive heard others say here....

go find your own style you unimaginative loser!
this tune is wicked man. verse 3 was soooo good. Verse 7 was great aswell. go easy on the harmonys. the riff at 185 was pretty hardcore. The drums could be abit more technical.

And as for the rest of u, you clearly dont know what good music is even if it smaked u in the face.
i dug the acoustic intro... from then on, it sounded really familiar, like i'd heard the riffs somewhere but just couldn't place it... until verse 3, which really got me headbanging... liked verse 4 (nice melodic rifffs), but verse 5 could use some work..
the instrumental interlude really sounds like a dream theater rip off, perhaps because they've done a lot of stuff similar to it, but i'd recommend you change it unless you want to be branded a dt rip off...
nice pull off verse... from then on, till the next instrumental, nothing really captured me... the instrumental interlude started off well, till about bar 193 where things got a little random... very dt-esque sawtooth thingy... i liked that bit...
pretty boring from then on... the guitars during the keyboard solo is the biggest dream theater rip off i've ever heard... blatant plagiarism... nice guitar solos though... guitar solo 2 was prolly my favourite part of the song... outro need some work
sry if it seems a little disconnected.. i was writing it down while listening, and i'm a bit lazy to proof read..lol...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
Quote by BKGMorley
this tune is wicked man. verse 3 was soooo good. Verse 7 was great aswell. go easy on the harmonys. the riff at 185 was pretty hardcore. The drums could be abit more technical.

And as for the rest of u, you clearly dont know what good music is even if it smaked u in the face.

Quote by sturm
i dug the acoustic intro... from then on, it sounded really familiar, like i'd heard the riffs somewhere but just couldn't place it... until verse 3, which really got me headbanging... liked verse 4 (nice melodic rifffs), but verse 5 could use some work..
the instrumental interlude really sounds like a dream theater rip off, perhaps because they've done a lot of stuff similar to it, but i'd recommend you change it unless you want to be branded a dt rip off...
nice pull off verse... from then on, till the next instrumental, nothing really captured me... the instrumental interlude started off well, till about bar 193 where things got a little random... very dt-esque sawtooth thingy... i liked that bit...
pretty boring from then on... the guitars during the keyboard solo is the biggest dream theater rip off i've ever heard... blatant plagiarism... nice guitar solos though... guitar solo 2 was prolly my favourite part of the song... outro need some work
sry if it seems a little disconnected.. i was writing it down while listening, and i'm a bit lazy to proof read..lol...

It's because he took riffs from Dream Theater songs and called them his. -_-
i think i mentioned something about blatant plagiarism already... but in his defence, i'm sure parts of it was original...
"You take the blue pill , the story ends here, you wake up and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill you stay in wonderland and I'll show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes."
- Morpheus

#3 of Tom Cruise Scares me club.
The 1st Riff is Dream Theaters and the solo and outro riffs are Symphony X's. The rest of the riffs sound alright, if somewhat lack-luster... they all sound the same because of the diminished harmony, and are far too cut&paste for their own good.

It wants to be good... but trips and falls face-first as soon as it leaves the starting block.
Sorry, I haven't checked on this thread after I started it and I see some people are catching some things. After hearing the riff at 110 again I realized what happened and it was totally unintended. As for all of the other accusations, I have no idea of what you guys are talking about. Any way, it's complicated, but here is where the riff at 110 originated from.

In the instrumental part of Dark Eternal Night (coincidentally, Dream Theater) there is a section that goes like this (at about 4:00 in)...

D|--------------------------4------------------9----------------------------
A|-------------5--------5-------------5-------------------------------------
E|--------2---------------------2-------------------5-2-4-0----------------
B|---0------------3-------------------------------------------3--------------

The bold section I did not look at closely enough while learning the song and played as:

A-F#-G#-F#-D instead of A-F#-G#-E-D

After playing it over and over again to get the hang of it, I noticed that it sounded pretty cool. So I started to experiment. I then moved the riff to a six string guitar. I kept experimenting and found that that I could plat with and open E if I played it:

B-G#-A#-G#-E

Then I kept playing the riff and moved it up a fourth or a string every time I played it. Then I put little transition scale runs in between the riffs and ended up with that.

That is my explanation for that riff and I apologize. I will change to the best of my ability. As for all of the other riffs that I have been accused of plagiarizing, I have no idea of what you guys are talking about.

Thanks for the people who did give crits anyways though.

Again, I am sorry. Unreasonable and elaborately linked accidents do happen.
Just because it sounds like Dream Theater, doesn't mean it IS Dream Theater. I'm a huge dream Theater fan, and I won't believe that he blatantly ripped off any of thier riffs until some one puts thier money where thier mouth is and posts every riff that he ripped off and what song it's from.

I mean, it DID sound a lot like Dream Theater. Enough for me to tell the TS that he should try to be more unique with his style. But I do not believe that he plagarized anything note for note, except for the one riff that he already apologized for.
I'm a person.
The acoustic intro sounds too much like "Dance of Eternity" (Dream Theater) minute 5:45

Chug is the same rythm riff as in "Dance of Eternity" minute 1:45 with same drums

The Instrumental Interlude bars 110-125 is exactly the same as in "Dance of Eternity"
5:45 same key too if i'm not mistaken.

Keyboard Solo in bar 275: The guitar is the same rythm as in "Jaws Of Life" (John Petrucci), it's in A instead, and you changed only 1 note.

I guess the song was okay. Too many riffs, I think too many. You could have added some sort of melodies instead, or maybe obviously a vocals would clear that up. The problem is that, there wasn't a balance in the atmosphere and the energy in the song. For long songs of this type, there HAS to be diffrent atmospheres, or else you will bore the listener. The song has the same feeling through-out the whole song and it should have had different atmospheres that would boost up the the power and the potential when listening.
The time signatures were well used I guess.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
come on guys. who says that he consciously ripped off dream theater?

I'm giving him the BOTD that he just happened to subconsciously think up the same riffs as DT. that sort of thing happens to many people. can you say George Harrison?

but who really cares? if the kid says he didn't rip off DT then he didn't. don't make assumptions that he maliciously stole riffs straight note for note out of their songs. stuff happens to the best of us.

all this said, I haven't listened to the song. sorry.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by XxLloydxX
The acoustic intro sounds too much like "Dance of Eternity" (Dream Theater) minute 5:45

Chug is the same rythm riff as in "Dance of Eternity" minute 1:45 with same drums

The Instrumental Interlude bars 110-125 is exactly the same as in "Dance of Eternity"
5:45 same key too if i'm not mistaken.

Keyboard Solo in bar 275: The guitar is the same rythm as in "Jaws Of Life" (John Petrucci), it's in A instead, and you changed only 1 note.

I guess the song was okay. Too many riffs, I think too many. You could have added some sort of melodies instead, or maybe obviously a vocals would clear that up. The problem is that, there wasn't a balance in the atmosphere and the energy in the song. For long songs of this type, there HAS to be diffrent atmospheres, or else you will bore the listener. The song has the same feeling through-out the whole song and it should have had different atmospheres that would boost up the the power and the potential when listening.
The time signatures were well used I guess.

Honestly, the chug riff is something that just came off the top of my head as a little filler thing before the next part of the song. And it can't really be in the same key, is it? I'll keep your crit in mind, though, at least the last part. Thanks.
Quote by Its_Rock77
come on guys. who says that he consciously ripped off dream theater?

I'm giving him the BOTD that he just happened to subconsciously think up the same riffs as DT. that sort of thing happens to many people. can you say George Harrison?

but who really cares? if the kid says he didn't rip off DT then he didn't. don't make assumptions that he maliciously stole riffs straight note for note out of their songs. stuff happens to the best of us.

all this said, I haven't listened to the song. sorry.

Thanks for that, and it is true. Anymore riffs that I "maliciously stole" that you guys can find? Seriously. I just found the jaws of life one now btw. To think I was actually proud of improvising those riffs before this thread.
I'm 100% sure you didn't steal them consciously. Sometimes people create something that already existed because those melodies were locked in your subconcious. And since it's the subconscious then you really can't recognize if you stole it or not, you will feel it sounds familiar but that's about it.
If it sounds familiar, you should make sure it's not someone else's melody.

To be honest though, most of your riffs and solos and layerings are really well-made, the problem lies in the song in whole, it's not good enough structured. Don't worry, it's all about experience, you should try analyzing your favourite songs to see how you're favourite artists structured them. And just keep on making songs, trying to be more organized in structure so you can gain more experience.
The more songs you make, the more experience you will have, you will learn about errors of your past works each time you make a new song.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic