Okay Im doing this 4 note speed picking exercise, two notes on the A string and two notes D string. My fretting hand is blazing fast but my picking hand just cant keep up. I was wondering if I should train ONLY my picking hand by picking the two notes on each string gradually picking up the speed or slow down my fretting hand and train them both at the same time?

Thanks.
Well if you practice only playing one note, you might be able to hear why you're not going faster more easily. Who knows if that would actually work for you, but it's worth a shot. Like at least you might be able to find out where specifically in your motion you're slowing down.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
both at the same time that way you're not like me where your fretting hand and picking hand get off track and all the notes come out muted.
Just do both at the same tempo, keeping a steady/smooth speed. Change things up every once n awhile too.
one way to increase your speed is by keeping your wrist straight instead of moving only your wrist. that helped me alot when i was trying to get faster.....
Quote by jakewynnrocks
one way to increase your speed is by keeping your wrist straight instead of moving only your wrist. that helped me alot when i was trying to get faster.....

Would that be like freezing my palm on the bridge and only moving my two fingers holding the pick?
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Would that be like freezing my palm on the bridge and only moving my two fingers holding the pick?

i'm pretty sure that wouldn't work very well. i think he means moving your whole forearm but i don't think that would be very good either. i would say just work on it slowly keeping steady tempo and then increase it a little bit at a time.
Quote by ortrigger
i'm pretty sure that wouldn't work very well. i think he means moving your whole forearm but i don't think that would be very good either. i would say just work on it slowly keeping steady tempo and then increase it a little bit at a time.

Alright. Thanks guys.
You need to slow down to the speed at which you can play the piece with both hands sychronised - your ability to use both hands together is what matters most.

Just don't put too much faith in so called "speed" exercises, they're nothing of the sort really. If you grind an exercise you get good at that exercise...that's all. You have to make sure that any exercises you do are actually going to have some practical benefit too. Speed comes from accuracy, plain and simple, that's the only thing you should be pursuing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just do this
U D U D U D U D
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
U-Up pick
D- Down pick
Do This on high e string and just do it at a speed where every not rings and sounds perfect and gradually keep going faster until your picking hand is a skin-coloured blur!
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by jake_1234
Just do this
U D U D U D U D
0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-
U-Up pick
D- Down pick
Do This on high e string and just do it at a speed where every not rings and sounds perfect and gradually keep going faster until your picking hand is a skin-coloured blur!

Seriously, that's not going to help one bit...you can't just work your picking hand until it's fast enough then it'll magically work in perfect time with your fretting hand

You need to learn how to use your hands TOGETHER, so you take them both down to the speed at which you're able do that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'd say both at the same time, start out slowly and find a natural rhythm to the count your playing. Also think about how much attention your actually paying to having your hands work as one. almost like their moving to the music because... they are....

You can think about how the part is layed out in strokes ( U, D, U, D) or (D, U,D, U) etc. for 4 or 5 or 6 or whatever notes and how that would repeat if it does.

Get familiar with what rhythyms are created with different amounts of notes played together. EX) A part consisting mainly of 4's 5's 6's 7's etc... and then mixing those
EX) 1234 1234 123 123 1234 or 1e&a 2e&a 3e& 4e& 1e&a
Changing the duration/length of each note or different notes usually have amazing changing results

Hopefully this was helpful
"Play on Turn on Live on" - Jonzors

"Without music life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"What you are is what you have been; what you will become is what you do now." - Gautama (the Buddha)
You have to synchronize them together. Having an awesome right hand and an awesome left is no good until they're awesome together.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by PeffinGee
Is it better to pick fast runs using just the wrist or the whole arm?

90% of people will tell you to use your wrist, that is "proper" technique, is most efficient, and less prone to injury. Of course we see lots of (even famous) people hammer with their whole arm, but it really gains you nothing in the long run, and can probably reduce the articulation of your playing. (plus it looks ridiculous).
^dude play fallout?

To increase the wrist-picking speed , just practice? Is that it?