It's a better version of Powertab (which is free). Try the GP demo and see if you think it's worth it.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
...I actually think power tab is very good...
Dont buy it!
Get "tux guitar" for free!
I will download both power tab and guitar pro for free
It's a program that allows you to type up tabs and notate rhythm. It is very useful for writing and learning music.

GP has a free trial, but after 30 or 90 days, you have to pay. Powertab (PT) is free and does the same thing as GP. GP allows you to have an unlimited amount of instruments playing; PT limits you to seven. GP has better drums than PT. Those are the only differences I know of.

I don't remember if GP puts music in standard notation based on your tab; PT does.

I suggest PT.

Edit: Andy, why do you prefer GP?
I use Finale, but if you only play guitar and/or Bass Guitar Pro is worth getting.

and Guitar Pro is notation software, but it only does tabs and is obviously geared for the guitar.

and IMO GP is a lot easier to use and less glitchy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I don't remember if GP puts music in standard notation based on your tab; PT does.

Guitar pro does.
IMO Guitar Pro is a much better program for writing and learning music. It has drums, unlike powertab. It also has a "Real Sound Engine" which is good for recording music without a real bassist or drummer. Also guitar pro has many nifty features such as the speed trainer, and a chord dictionary.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
IT IS SO WORTH IT, seriously, it splits parts, and is really helpful
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I don't remember if GP puts music in standard notation based on your tab

It does. You also have the option of viewing only the standard notation, or only the tab and you can also write directly to standard notation (PT doesn't do any of those).

GP has better drums than PT
I find it has better instruments all round.

There is a lot that GP does that PT doesn't, and nothing PT does that GP doesn't. But PT is a great program, it's been sufficient for what I've wanted to do.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Your_Dad
Also guitar pro has many nifty features such as the speed trainer, and a chord dictionary.

Power Tab has a chord dictionary, too.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter Gryphon w/ Tone Zone & PAF Pro
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Eminence Texas Heat
Line 6 Space Chorus
Marshall Echohead
Morley Power Wah Volume
BOSS MT-2
Vox Satchurator
GuitarPro's interface sucks for writing multiple voices, and annoys the piss out of me. I'm gonna say powertab is the better way to go, even though the MIDI import feature blows and it's pretty god awful for drums.

GP definitely isn't worth the money. If you're going to pay for something, I'd recommend Sibelius. If you really want GP, there are torrents available that will save you the money.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
GuitarPro's interface sucks for writing multiple voices, and annoys the piss out of me. I'm gonna say powertab is the better way to go, even though the MIDI import feature blows and it's pretty god awful for drums.

GP definitely isn't worth the money. If you're going to pay for something, I'd recommend Sibelius. If you really want GP, there are torrents available that will save you the money.

+1 to Sibelius, and they make a stripped down, cheaper version for guitarists called G7.

Last.fm
its tabs that play.. so you can hear the timing as "it should be" ..

note alot of tabs for this can be wrong...

but its DEFINITELY worth it
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by troyponce
If you really want GP, there are torrents available that will save you the money.

You mean steal it instead of buy it.

To the TS:
I have guitar pro. It's a decent program. fairly easy to use, gets the job done, although it does have some issues.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
+1 to Sibelius, and they make a stripped down, cheaper version for guitarists called G7.

I wasn't aware of that, I just have the student edition and used a full version for my classes. How is G7?

Quote by GuitarMunky
You mean steal it instead of buy it.

If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder!, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required . . . Why, then, to this other question: What is property? may I not likewise answer, property is theft!
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by troyponce
I wasn't aware of that, I just have the student edition and used a full version for my classes. How is G7?

I've only toyed with it, since I used to have Sibelius 3 and now use Finale, but it's pretty much exactly like Sibelius only geared towards editing tab and it doesn't have the hige sample library that the full Sibelius has, but the G7 library still easily puts GPs RSE to shame.

Last.fm
Tux guitar is free and will download both GP and PT files so i'd recomend that.

To add to the GP-PT argument, there are a lot more GP files on UG than PT files.

That's a lot of acronyms.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
It does. You also have the option of viewing only the standard notation, or only the tab and you can also write directly to standard notation (PT doesn't do any of those).
I find it has better instruments all round.

There is a lot that GP does that PT doesn't, and nothing PT does that GP doesn't. But PT is a great program, it's been sufficient for what I've wanted to do.

I agree, I think PT is way inferior compared to GP.

But honestly, the one thing that pisses me off the most about PT is that I can't start right away when I press play.. it always has to tap out a measure first and sometimes i'm not patient enough to deal with it.
Just download illegaly GP. I think it's better than Powertab, and when you can't get a GP tab, you can download a PT tab and import it in Guitar Pro so you can read it.
Quote by troyponce

1. If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder!, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required . . . Why, then, to this other question: 2. What is property? may I not likewise answer, property is theft!

1. Better answer would be forced labor for no pay. Slavery in itself has no connotation that the slaves are to be murdered, they just were by some, so I would disagree with your answer.
2. Property is something someone owns. Saying it is theft makes little to no sense seeing as theft means that you take something that is someone else's PROPERTY without permission or compensation. In this case, no one would understand what you meant. Also, theft is seen as negative so it implies that you believe property is negative.

In my opinion Guitar Pro is completely worth it, but you should probably try it yourself to decide (free trial). One other subtle difference with powertab is that in the tablature, the lines in powertab run through the numbers, whereas in GP they break just before and after the number to make it easier to read.
TS, GP is great. It helps you to lay out songs, see how harmonies sound, and lots of other things. In my experience, PT is weak by comparison. Download the GP trial, if you like it, either torrent it, or if you're Lars Ulrich or the RIAA, go and buy it.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
(Progressive Metal is) like playing Nirvana, but faster, with little or no powerchords, cleanly, with more technique, and complex time signatures.

It is so worth it. You have no idea.

I personally favor Guitar Pro over Power Tab (I haven't tried any of the other ones you guys mentioned) because the interface is much more easy to use.

Besides that after listening to the Realistic Sound Engine in GP5, compared the ear-grating MIDI sound. They didn't do it to ALL the sounds, but they did do pianos, guitar, bass, and drums.

Power Tab's colors make it seem pretty gloomy in my opinion. Kind of depressing. GP is a little more colorful to me.

I'm pretty sure PowerTabs has it too, but GP has a keyboard shortcut for every effect on the guitar, except whammy dives and such. Which for people who are fast at typing, can write music a little faster. It uses the numpad for most of the notes, effects are the letters.
Pinch Harmonics are all about luck. The more you practice them, the luckier you get.
Quote by TheShred201
1. Better answer would be forced labor for no pay. Slavery in itself has no connotation that the slaves are to be murdered, they just were by some, so I would disagree with your answer.
2. Property is something someone owns. Saying it is theft makes little to no sense seeing as theft means that you take something that is someone else's PROPERTY without permission or compensation. In this case, no one would understand what you meant. Also, theft is seen as negative so it implies that you believe property is negative.

In my opinion Guitar Pro is completely worth it, but you should probably try it yourself to decide (free trial). One other subtle difference with powertab is that in the tablature, the lines in powertab run through the numbers, whereas in GP they break just before and after the number to make it easier to read.

It's a Proudhon quote, buddy. And you are clearly have never read any significant amount of either philosophy or taken either a comparative or marxist econ course. Higher education (in theory) for the win.
Quote by nightwind
Quote by troyponce
It's a Proudhon quote, buddy. And you are clearly have never read any significant amount of either philosophy or taken either a comparative or marxist econ course. Higher education (in theory) for the win.

Oh really?

Guitar Pro is awesome.