Hey guys i need some help on pick ups
I still have my stock pick ups and i really want something better. I dont know that much about pick ups so detail would be appreciated

I have a ibanez RG5 Ex1 btw
Well before you go and buy some new pickups often times you may find that you can find a satisfactory tone in the stock pickups. Have you tried adjusting the pickup height by adjusting the middle two screws on either side of the humbuckers? the closer to the strings the fatter the sound and the farther away the thinner the sound. Pickups only make a guitar sound better in certain cases and that is often a misconception that tone is totally dependent on pickups.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
What is it about your sound that you arent satisfied with?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by Deathcabforpat
Well before you go and buy some new pickups often times you may find that you can find a satisfactory tone in the stock pickups. Have you tried adjusting the pickup height by adjusting the middle two screws on either side of the humbuckers? the closer to the strings the fatter the sound and the farther away the thinner the sound. Pickups only make a guitar sound better in certain cases and that is often a misconception that tone is totally dependent on pickups.

I havnt tried that
but i dont want to mess everything up

And im not satisfied because i cant get a good clean sound when i strum anything
You're not actually removing the pickups just adjusting their height. It won't really mess anything up and you can probably clean up your sound a lot if you take the pickups farther away from the strings.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
ok, what amp you using then? and by a good clean sound do u mean it lacks clarity and general lovelyness? or does the signal distort too early?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
ok, what amp you using then? and by a good clean sound do u mean it lacks clarity and general lovelyness? or does the signal distort too early?

im using a Peavey valvking 212 (its tube)
It lacks clarity and just sounds bad
yeah, you won't hurt anything by moving your pickup up and down i do it all the time.

your amp will affect your tone soooo much more tho.

you can adjust any and all 3 - depends. just mess around a bit and keep track of what your changes are until it sounds better.

after all is said and done tho and you have a decent amp i usually recommend Seymour Duncan pickups but there are a ton of them so it depends on what type of music you play. i hear GFS pickups are good to and much cheaper.

;
ok thsi may not be a pickup issue, you may be able to find a nicer sound with some careful EQing, im not gonna suggest u buy an EQpedal right now till its obvious that what u want cant be achieved for free. Have u tried all kinds of EQ settings? also what they said about lowering your pickups might help you, lower whichever pickup you have selected when u use your clean sound.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by AznGuitarHero
im using a Peavey valvking 212 (its tube)
It lacks clarity and just sounds bad

ok, what channel are you using most and what settings are you running?

do you have any pedals or any other effects?

What style music do you play?

;
Well i play around will all the stuff but im not that great at doing it.

And where are the screws for me to lower them??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ok, what channel are you using most and what settings are you running?

do you have any pedals or any other effects?

What style music do you play?

;

Well i like to use both clean and distorted

no pedals or anything, just the amp

I like to play alt rock, classic rock, basicly all types of rock
Last edited by AznGuitarHero at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
it could be speakers

true - it could be speakers but that is partly how Peavey kept the cost down. i would have to say that pickup swap is not entirely going to fix anything. i say that and i just swapped out my stock bucker on my strat for a Duncan and it made a huge difference for me.

TS - if i were you i would probably focus your money on either a speaker swap, tube swap or amp swap.

but for example if you play mostly blues or lots of cleans like John Mayer then you have the wrong amp.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 7, 2008,
Just turn your guitar volume down a bit and pick a little softer.

/thread
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
thru - it could be speakers but that is partly how Peavey kept the cost down. i would have to say that pickup swap is not entirely going to fix anything. i say that and i just swapped out my stock bucker on my strat for a Duncan and it made a huge difference for me.

TS - if i were you i would probably focus your money on either a speaker swap, tube swap or amp swap.

but for example if you play mostly blues or lots of cleans like John Mayer then you have the wrong amp.

;

well if its the speakers which ones would be good?
There's nothing wrong with the speakers, or the amp, or the pickups...it's just poor EQ'ing and general lack of equipment knowledge. You want a flatter, possibly even scooped setting for your clean tone so knock the mids back to below half and don't have too much bass or it'll get wooly. Also, don't use the humbuckers on their own for clean tones, it's not going to be great. Use positions 2 & 4 which split the buckers with the middle single or position 3 which is the middle single alone. Finally, as I already suggested, turn the guitar volume down a bit and don't pick too hard.

If you want to play bluesy stuff, use the amp's distortion channel as you would for your rock stuff but again drop the guitar volume a touch and use position 2 or 4 on the pickup selector.

Finally, don't forget that the amp will sound better the louder it is!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 7, 2008,