I watched on this DVD that I got with guitarworld magazine and the guy that was demostrating how to play chords together talked about scale degree. What exactly is it? and How does it work?
The degree of a scale is the note that you're on. In the key of C major, the I degree is the tonic, C; the ii degree is the supertonic, D; the iii degree is the mediant, E; the IV is the subdominant, F; the V degree is the dominant, G; the vi degree is the submediant (I think), A; and the vii diminished degree is the leading tone, B.

Major roman numerals denote major chords, lowercase numerals denote minor chords. vii is diminished in major keys, while ii is diminished in minor keys.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
What it means is what chords you can use together in certain keys, I will take C major for example because Hammer already started on it.

You build a chord off of each scale degree using the formula of Root-Third-Fifth. So if you wanted to build a chord on the first scale degree of C major it would be CEG.

CDEFGABC

Another example would be if you were to build a minor chord on say the 6th scale degree, which in the key of C major would be A, you would have ACE

CDEFGABC

Does that clear it up a little bit? If not narrow your question down a little more and I will try to answer it more clearly.
^All true and good stuff to know, but that's not what he asked about (though he should learn everything you posted).

On the topic of scale degrees, you will often see something like 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7 written on here. This is the formula compared to the major scale, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. For instance, C major is C D E F G A B. If you apply that formula, you get C Db E F G Ab Bb.
Degree is the name a note receives in relation to a scale...

I think that is the simplified version.

Chord talk uses degrees because it represents the intervals of a scale, and how it is used as harmony to fit the mood of the chord (and the structure of it)

Meh, I am probably talking BS, but I try to simplify it to you...
Quote by gonzaw
Degree is the name a note receives in relation to a scale...

I think that is the simplified version.

In relation to the root of the scale.
Quote by gonzaw
When it is related to a scale, it is already related to its root

Yes, but it's more accurate to say that the degree represents a specific note's relation to the root of the scale. It was for clarification.