is this good or bad: i use A to make the up/down motion, and all of /b/... i mean B is stiff as a board, including my wrist, and my fingers.

no hand motion involved, just elbow.

proper or improper?

here is a funny image for you guys for thanks in advance, more to come w/ help.

EDIT:
At second pic
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Last edited by Austin_Scharosc at Jun 6, 2008,
I'm lost...

I've always heard it is best to limit the amount of movement from your elbow and mainly just use your wrist.
For fast picking the movement should, in theory, come exclusively from the wrist with maybe some elbow movement if you're changing strings or doing string skipping ideas.

Most of us don't need or want rewards for helping people though
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
for fast picking, the movement should be on your wrist, not the elbows. limit your elbow movement, you can pick faster.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
for fast picking, the movement should be on your wrist, not the elbows. limit your elbow movement, you can pick faster.

my wrist is slow, i don't masturbate enough, and my elbow gets me there faster (guitar, not fap)

i could probably do... lemme check, hold on.

16ths at 241 on open low E is my limit, and my high e 12th fret was too fast for my metronome for 16ths. My metronome goes to 250, and i don't feel like doing the math to find out how fast my 32nds are.
practice it. wrist movement is faster for me. when you use your elbow, you use more energy than using your wrist. your wrist would be lighter than your arm so its easier for the wrist to do fast stuff. you just got used to using your elbow. try the wrist.

EDIT: correct me if i am wrong
First things first: can you actually pick comfortably at that speed? Unless you're relaxed and can do it for a long time then it's useless.

Secondly: if you can pick that fast and it is relaxed then don't worry about it; you'll have to work a lot more on getting your two hands synchronised so your playing is clean than you will have to do for your basic picking speed.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by leviticus_22953
practice it. wrist movement is faster for me. when you use your elbow, you use more energy than using your wrist. your wrist would be lighter than your arm so its easier for the wrist to do fast stuff. you just got used to using your elbow. try the wrist.

EDIT: correct me if i am wrong

uhh.. yeah i am way too used to the elbow, and "tired" can't really apply to me. it's not part of my physical limitations. and i think my elbow would be faster since your bicep is way bigger than w/etf controls your wrist.

augh.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
First things first: can you actually pick comfortably at that speed? Unless you're relaxed and can do it for a long time then it's useless.

Secondly: if you can pick that fast and it is relaxed then don't worry about it; you'll have to work a lot more on getting your two hands synchronised so your playing is clean than you will have to do for your basic picking speed.

my playing is clean, and i'm relatively comfortable at 240, and very very comfortable and sync'd at 200, depending upon how hard the left is.

EDIT:

sry forgot pic.
1 - Stop it with the pictures.

2 - If you can play relaxed and clean then don't worry about it; playing in a relaxed way is the most important part of playing well, if you're not properly relaxed you can mess up your arm.

Is there any way you could post a video so we can just check there's no tension in your playing? Beginners often just push through it and get used to it without realising the potential damage they can do to themselves.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
that is quite fast, but are you just picking the same note or are you changing notes and strings, are you going through scales at 200 bpm?
Honestly, you're trying WAY too hard to be funny.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Honestly, you're trying WAY too hard to be funny.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Stop it with the pictures.

2 - If you can play relaxed and clean then don't worry about it; playing in a relaxed way is the most important part of playing well, if you're not properly relaxed you can mess up your arm.

Is there any way you could post a video so we can just check there's no tension in your playing? Beginners often just push through it and get used to it without realising the potential damage they can do to themselves.

i'll see if i can get a vid on youtube in about 10 mins.

Quote by ironman1478
that is quite fast, but are you just picking the same note or are you changing notes and strings, are you going through scales at 200 bpm?

when i say how fast i speedpick, i mean a note, but i think i could prolly scale there.
none of the above. You should be using only your chakras to achieve fast picking. There should be no movement in the arm, wrist or fingers. Only your chakras.
sorry for taking so long, its really hard to find a webcam capturerr.

i'm not sure i can find one.
i have a chat cam, but i know i can record it somehow, i've d/l'd a lot of things, none work.

i have a dist pedal, and using that to make it active, and have a wire to my mic jack.
Quote by afrika18
none of the above. You should be using only your chakras to achieve fast picking. There should be no movement in the arm, wrist or fingers. Only your chakras.

what about my cat-ra, that's what the experienced ninjas refer to their chakra as.
Relaxation is the key to any kind of speed or endurance factor

I would try and practice in front of a mirror so you can watch your pick hand and make the movements as economical as possible. The picking should be coming from a loose wrist with the addition of the thumb and index to assist the pick strokes.

The important thing is to get a good grounding first meaning picking comfortable at a tempo you can keep up with and then slowly building on that.
A good way to develop your alternate picking (which is what this is called BTW) is to practice on one string first. Use your wrist (not your elbow) and try to get even up/down strokes at a nice tempo that you can maintain consistently for a minute or so. As you get better you'll be able to increase your speed. Using your elbow make work for chords or the old Ramones style of playing all down strokes but it won't give you accuracey.
Whatever you do, please dont sweep like the guy on the video. He is really good at the other techniques, but the sweeping sounds horrible and sloppy. I could sweep better high, drunk and with acciidents in my hands. Also try to shred on an acoustic. It will give your motion tightness, since the tougher action will almost always give a harder time.