So my new PA isnt as loud when I play my guitar through it as my mic is when I sing through it. The mic and guitar are hooked up on different channels, the guitar is all the way up and the mic is only about 1/3 of the way and it already starts to drown out the guitar.

Now its only an acoustic guitar, but it has a Dean Markley Barstow passive undersaddle transducer with no preamp. Could the guitars lack of volume be coming from the lack of a preamp?
i'm thinking you;ll want to pick up a preamp.

edit: i dont know, the cheapest one is a hundred bucks. and that might not help, depending on the the PA and the way the pickup output and how it's installed on the acoustic.

when you unplug the mic, does the acoustic guitar get really loud? or is it still not as loud as the mic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 6, 2008,
well at least you know it's not ur PA.

how much did that pup cost you?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

each channel has a preamp on that powered mixer.
however you cant DI your guitar into the board...its best to mic your guitar amp as the resistance rating is different between a guitar pickup and microphone.

Guitar pickup - acoustic amp - mic - mixer
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 6, 2008,
Actually I know alot of people who play their acoustics directly into a PA. They just use a preamp, I guess. But I dont have an acoustic amp cause my acoustic was never equipped with a pickup until yesterday. And Im not really gonna go drop more coin for a new amp and another mic and stand just to mic them up. Thats kinda ridiculous when its not absolutely necessary.
i can line in my guitars, (mine have preamps) but if yours isnt loud enough to hear, sounds like the problem.

if you just bought it, maybe opt for a pup with some sort of volume control.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well its already installed, and my soundhole is tiny compared to my arms so it was a pain in the ass trying to hook the wires up to the endpin jack and all. lol
Well I know its coming from the pickup. Its not that its bad at all or misinstalled, its just that it doesnt have the output levels to drive enough to get over the vocals.
OK, update time.....

After your help Jenny, I picked up a preamp. A Fishman GII. Ordered it yesterday, it got here today (thanks Amazon and DHL), plugged it in and it works perfectly. Makes the guitar really come alive. I was really worried about dropping the $50 on the preamp and it possibly not fixing it, but it did. Thanks Jenny for your input. You really are a doll.
hey glad it worked out. i coulndt be sure it would help, but i was hoping.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62