So along time ago (about a year) I commenced sanding down my Epiphone G-310, intending to refinish it. After sitting in my cupboard for a year, I took the neck and body out yesterday and finally finished sanding. I also put it all together (no soldering though)
Pics:

I've been thinking of maybe just coating it in a clear colour so the wood will look darker, but I'm open to ideas.

So my questions are:
1) What do YOU think I should do with it?
2) If you answered 1, HOW do I do it and what will I need?
3) Are those lighter spots on around the headstock and other places a problem? I assumed it was just where I sander through the clearcoat.
4) Do you think I should do anything else to it? I've been thinking of upgrading the pickups.

Cheers!

Edit: WTF? The pictures aren't showing up....strange...
Edit 2: I think the files are too big. I'll try to compress them more.
Edit 3: Urrghh I'm such a dumbass, I had images turned off. :P
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Jun 6, 2008,
tru-oil ftw! that would look sweet with oil!

and if u like the sound, dont bother with the pups. if u dont like it, change them
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
tru-oil ftw! that would look sweet with oil!

and if u like the sound, dont bother with the pups. if u dont like it, change them

Yeah I thought oil would be pretty cool, but the light spots would show up under it. Should I try to oil the light spots first to make them the same colour, then oil the whole thing?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
or u could stain 'em. either way, it should darken those lighter spots
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
or u could stain 'em. either way, it should darken those lighter spots

I'll definitely consider it! You just wipe on oil with a cloth don't you? I have no spraying experience whatsoever.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
pretty much, its easier than spraying anything, thats for sure
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
pretty much, its easier than spraying anything, thats for sure

For sure.

Anyone else have any ideas?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I bet it will look exactly like my tung oiled SG custom. Well, granted it's the same wood.
So tung oil is definitely looking like the best option here, and I do like the look.

BUT, after browsing through PheonixFear's thread, I saw this picture

Would it be possible to get rid of that thick black finish on the headstock and tung oil that as well?

Cheers.

Thats it. I'm going to radically change the headstock by sanding off the black paint, and maybe even change the headstock shape to something less hideous.

I also plan to give it gold hardware someday like the one in the pic.

It's gonna be sweet.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Last edited by breadstick at Jun 6, 2008,
Those lighter spots are where you sanded through the grain filler. Mahogany needs to be grain filled before any kind of finish is applied. So if you plan on spraying color, staining, dying or clearcoating, you will need to refill those spots. Tung oil doesn't really need grain filler though. In fact, if you go the oil route, it'd probably look better if you got rid of all the grain filler on the guitar, but that could take a while...
Quote by Joel Rainville
Those lighter spots are where you sanded through the grain filler. Mahogany needs to be grain filled before any kind of finish is applied. So if you plan on spraying color, staining, dying or clearcoating, you will need to refill those spots. Tung oil doesn't really need grain filler though. In fact, if you go the oil route, it'd probably look better if you got rid of all the grain filler on the guitar, but that could take a while...

Ahh I see. I'm not even sure if it is mahogany though because its epiphone, and it doesn't have all the tiny dark spots like mahogany does. I believe epiphone states it to be alder, although, I think the headstock is mahogany, because it is a different wood to the rest.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
Ahh I see. I'm not even sure if it is mahogany though because its epiphone, and it doesn't have all the tiny dark spots like mahogany does. I believe epiphone states it to be alder, although, I think the headstock is mahogany, because it is a different wood to the rest.

the G-310 is said to have a "Select hardwood" body and a mahogany neck.
I've sanded about 50% of the headstock. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Also, I think I'm gonna make the headstock similar to this:

I like the look of the horns, and they'll match the body.

I might also sand it sideways to get a sort of flamed look, but we'll see.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
its such a shame epiphone sgs r so bad

poor fret access and i (personally) hate the headstock so im very glad to see that your thinking of changing it

i have 2 admit i like the way u have sanded it all down
it looks good natural

good luck and i hope that it turns out nice for you