So I have been turning up the gain (not the distortion) on my amp in order to hear every little nuance of my playing lately and it's seriously starting to discourage me. i didn't think my technique was amazing, not in the least, but now that i can 100% hear everything i realize that i have absolute ****loads of unwanted string noise.

honestly is it possible to play 100% clean when the gain is turned just about completely up.

i am muting (well trying) the strings with the tip of my index finger on my fretting hand and dampening with the "heel" of my right palm when i'm playing. is it supposed to take months/years simply to be able to play a clean run?

EDIT: i know i'm being a picky little bastard.
maybe your just struming to hard or presing down the note a litle to hard,when i play with da gain all the way up i never here a difference

_____________Gear____________
Jackson-JS30KV King V (never no what moron trades that for a strat!)
Fender-squire strat (ya ya)
Crate-GFX212T
Fender-front man 1 and 2 (i got one and then,i had to get the sequal lol)
Ibanez-Iceman IC300
Pay close attention to your fretting hand. From what I've seen and read your fingers shouldn't come too far off the fretboard.

Playing really slow and making sure I'm using the least effort possible has done wonders for my tone.

Someone else might be able to shed more light on this....I'm still not the greatest at explaining these things.l
Just keep at it. Work on muting strings with your palm and your unused fingers. Keep on playing with the gain up to get better at getting the string noise squared away.
Quote by saitenslayer
maybe your just struming to hard or presing down the note a litle to hard,when i play with da gain all the way up i never here a difference

_____________Gear____________
Jackson-JS30KV King V (never no what moron trades that for a strat!)
Fender-squire strat (ya ya)
Crate-GFX212T
Fender-front man 1 and 2 (i got one and then,i had to get the sequal lol)
Ibanez-Iceman IC300

You're supposed to put your gear in your sig, not type it out in each post.

Anyway, here's a neat little (well it's big, but you get the idea ) blog, got some good info http://fromthewoodshed.com/
ahh, yeah the first guitar I ever got had ceramic pups that pretty much did the same thing, great for practice actually because if you can't hear when you screw up you can't fix it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^^How the hell do you mute with the ring finger? Do you bend it back toward the palm or have it strenched out?
Quote by diminishedtobme
^^How the hell do you mute with the ring finger? Do you bend it back toward the palm or have it strenched out?

I think he means just using any of your free fingers as a mute when needed, much like the index finger "barre" mute, but more specific.
^ yep, index finger to mute the higher strings than the one you're playing and the one immediately below it (with the tip), and then the right hand to mute the strings lower than that, that's the rule.
thanks alot, i'll just keep plugging away at it then! i'm better some days than others, but overall the trend is positive.

and when you say play really slowly do you mean whole notes at 40bpm slow styles?
^ yes, and slower than that if you're learning it for the first time. I remember a shawn lane lick that I learned and it took me around 3 days to get to 60bpm quarter notes, starting at around 40bpm whole notes. I nearly cried because of the length of focused slow practice but now that kind of thing totally underpins my entire left hand technique.

Btw, pink, thanks for linking to my lessons and i liek bleach something serious.
Quote by Freepower
^ yes, and slower than that if you're learning it for the first time. I remember a shawn lane lick that I learned and it took me around 3 days to get to 60bpm quarter notes, starting at around 40bpm whole notes. I nearly cried because of the length of focused slow practice but now that kind of thing totally underpins my entire left hand technique.

Btw, pink, thanks for linking to my lessons and i liek bleach something serious.

No problem. They helped me, so I figured I'd share 'em.

I've tried that crazy-slow practice a little bit, but it's just so tedious that I can't concentrate lol. I should probably start using it more though.
Wait, so your trying to mute with your fretting hand? Theres the problem. Except for palm muting, all the muting is in the left hand.
I wrote the referenced article on finger muting: http://fromthewoodshed.com/blog/2008/06/04/ring-finger-mute/

I use "muting" to mean terminating a note in this case, not preventing strings from sounding. The intent is to use the tip of any free finger of the picking hand (I use my ring finger) to stop a note cleanly, avoiding the slight fret buzz when you lift your fretting finger off the fretboard.
My fingers mute when they're not fretting. Keeps things nice and clean. Just make sure to keep your picking and fretting in sync. The Metronome is your friend.

Also, I love high gain.
yea high gain definitely puts a certain edge on the tone (unless distortion is too high and chokes it).

but it's like having your guitar playing under a microscope dammit!
If you can really manage that tip muting, then you could start considering doing harmonics that way. That would be cool