i bought a new laptop, and it has firewire, but only a mini one. i don't know what its called but its like how usb has a regular and a mini used on cameras, cell phones, etc. So is it still ok to record with using an interface or is it lower bandwidth/slower? i think it only has 4 pins instead of the normal 6 so i was a little worried.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Just try it and see for yourself? Not that hard.

does the lappy have any other ports? Like a couple of USB 2.0's?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
well i ordered it and haven't gotten it yet. it has usb's, but aren't FW better for recording? i thought they have higher bandwidth so you can record multiple channels at once
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
The only difference between 4 pin and 6 pin firewire is that 6 pin provides power though the extra set of pins.
IF you get an interface with a 6 pin input/output you should get a 6 pin to 4 pin cable.

The data rate and everything is all the same between these two firewire connections.

Example:
The Mackie Onyx Satellite has two options, if you run it into a 6 pin firewire port, you dont ned to plug it into the wall outlet. On the other hand, you must use the power pack if you are running to a 4 pin firewire.

USB is nice but it can only move 4 mono tracks at one time, Firewire is better and easier to deal with IMO.
thanks moody. and thanks for mentioning the onyx satellite, i had kind of considered getting that. i already have an adapter for 6>4 pin, so sounds like i'm good to go
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

yeah i bought that mackie and it's awesome. when I use it on my desktop, i have all 6 pins, but when i'm at a friends with my laptop, i use the 6to4 converter and the power adapter and it works exactly the same