i just got a computer and garageband was great

what is the opinion on the best recording program that is equivalent, 200 is a lot to spend

want to spend 100 but will go up to 2

kristal, i cant seem to get it working,

i need to record

thank you
If you just want a free program with no frills, audacity would be the way to go.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
i've been pretty happy with audacity.net for basic recording. who wouldn't for $0.

there are things on here i haven't even tried yet like multi-tracking, effects, audio input, etc.

once recorded you can convert to MP3 with another free program and boom. everything i've recorded in my profile outside of the valveking test was with audacity and even there i think i used audacity to take the sound, import to audacity, and then convert to MP3. well,,,so there i have imported audio.

;
audacity FTW!!! best free recording program for sure, beats a lot of expensive ones as well!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i've been pretty happy with audacity.net for basic recording. who wouldn't for $0.

there are things on here i haven't even tried yet like multi-tracking, effects, audio input, etc.

You can multi track in Audacity? Do you have to have a certain piece of hardware?

The effects are actually decent on it, especially the equalizer and the pitch shifter.
i have not used the effects on it yet Imgooley you may be ahead of me but it seems that unless i start a new session of audacity it will take my last run and add a 'second line below' for lack of a better way of explaining it and then combine the two. i found it frustrating personally and maybe that is not called multi-track but that sure seems like it is possible. if you know something i don't please let me know.

and Melodyfirst - it is freeware. worth giving it a download. i've had on my PC for prolly 2 years now (vista) and have zero issues.

i'm not an expert on audacity - so maybe Search or GoTo Riffs and Recordings to learn more as i know there is more out there.

again - evey cut in my Profile was done with audacity - like it or not.

;
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 7, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

once recorded you can convert to MP3 with another free program and boom. everything i've recorded in my profile outside of the valveking test was with audacity and even there i think i used audacity to take the sound, import to audacity, and then convert to MP3. well,,,so there i have imported audio.

;

You can just export the project as an MP3 in Audacity. You just need to download 'lame' from the Audacity website.
Audacity is great for no-frills, Mixcraft is definitely the way to go for a more pro interface. I had the Mixcraft demo (all features enabled, but it quits after 7 days) and I loved the sound. Another plus was that there was no latency in the recording! In Audacity I always have to edit the recording so it lines up with everything else. If you have a nice sound card, though, then latency shouldn't be a problem no matter what program you use. One problem I have with Audacity is that you can't use VST plug-ins unless you install another component, and even then, it only gives you basic controls and it's harder to work with since you can't see what the plug-in actually looks like. Kind of lame when you're trying to work with a plug-in like Guitar Rig or something else complex like that.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden