I run a Boss ME-20 through a Crate VTX15 and I was thinking about upgrading to a tube amp. Since I use the ME-20 for the Equalizer and for my effects (including distortion), would getting a new amp change my tone at all?
If its an all-tube, i think it should. otherwise, itll have little or no change i think.
It would change your tone, but if your using a tube amp, a distortion pedal is just a waste of time. The distortion from most tube amps is orgasmic, where as distortion pedals usually sound like crap.

-edit

Before I had a nice overdrive pedal and a footswitch to go between clean and overdrive channels on my tube amp, I used a cheap multieffects pedal. I really regret wasting my time with that thing.

Now I have a Flanger, OD pedal, and a switch to go between OD/clean channel on my tube amp, and I couldn't be happier with my sound.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
makes it sound more processed and digital.
It just sounds less natural
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
lol you're going to buy a tube amp and run a freaking multi-effects into it..
yuck..

first off it'll sound horrible.. second off why would you waste money on a tube amp when your not going to use the tube distortion?

tube overdrive > any distortion from a pedal
If you use the multieffects like a preamp then the distortion won't sound so digital. There's actually one preset on my magicstomp that when put throught the effects loop return(not using amp preamp) is almost the same quality of distortion as my amp's preamp has.

And yes it will sound different(likely much better) using a tube amp with a multifx compared to your crate ss.

edit oh yeah just imo:
Quote by TechnicolorType

power tube overdrive > any distortion from a pedal
Last edited by yoyodunno at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by yellowshirtguy
It would change your tone, but if your using a tube amp, a distortion pedal is just a waste of time. The distortion from most tube amps is orgasmic, where as distortion pedals usually sound like crap.

-edit

Before I had a nice overdrive pedal and a footswitch to go between clean and overdrive channels on my tube amp, I used a cheap multieffects pedal. I really regret wasting my time with that thing.

Now I have a Flanger, OD pedal, and a switch to go between OD/clean channel on my tube amp, and I couldn't be happier with my sound.

So should I sell my ME-20 and buy individual effects and use the distortion from the tube amp?
^ There's an idea.. unless you like your ME-20 then you'd be better off just keeping your solid state..
ok i know i'm beating a dead horse here a bit but i run my multi-effect pedal thru my tube amp on the clean channel and it gets me by. i've actually started exp with the dirty channel too and although it doesn't sound great i can get some pretty freaked out sounds running thru the effects send/return. just started that whole experiment.

unless you've got $200-$400 to replace your multi with seperate pedals i would focus on the amp for now and deal with new pedals later.
just imo. i'll shut up now.

;
Quote by Ghold125
you don't use a multi effects distortion with a tube amp.

Yes you do.

I've got 4 amps now (3 SS's and a Valve Jr) and a PA. My POD xtl sounds different through all of them. For most things it sounds better through my Vj. Other then that I A/B switch it into the PA. Most people who can't get good tone with a multi-efx through a tube amp either have it hooked up wrong or don't know what they are doing and then blame the equipment.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Jun 7, 2008,
Generally ghold125 right, its not worth it, not with the ME-20 anyway. The only situation where i think a multi fx unit is good witha tube amp is if its a very decent one, eg a TC g-system or some kind of rack effects unit. Even then, id still use the tube amps distortion.
in general mutifx sounds better with a tube amp. Anyone that tells you different is wrong.