http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-100161084-i1149146.gc

just a few questions please

1:- Is this a heavy guitar, I know some les pauls are heavy but is this one heavy aswel.

2:- Does it play well in metal music (metal or anything heavier like metalcore etc_? if not what styles is it good for ?

3:- Could anyone suggest a good amp for this ? (metal style ?)

cheers <3 x x x
Last edited by duality at Jun 6, 2008,
Quote by duality
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-100161084-i1149146.gc

just a few questions please

1:- Is this a heavy guitar, I know some les pauls are heavy but is this one heavy aswel.

2:- Does it play well in metal music ? if not what styles is it good for ?

3:- Could anyone suggest a good amp for this ?

cheers <3 x x x

dont buy low end gibsons
anything less than a standard and youre getting jipped
get an epiphone elitist
those can hold their own agains most gibsons

now for your answers

1. most les pauls are pretty heavy

2. sorta. swap the pups and it'll be much better

3. well if youre getting a good guitar like that your amp better cost no less than $600
and it depends on what you plan on playing
+1 on not getting the studio.
+1 on the elitist.
try the Epi Les Paul Ultra if you want a lighter les paul.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
elitist ftw

they have nicer finishes as well
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
the elistist headstocks are ugly as ass, but the gold-top plays amazingly.
SRV R.I.P.
x2 on the Elitist

i emailed epiphone and they said the elitists arent chambered and weigh around 8.5-9.5 lbs
Old Gibson Studios were nice, the new ones have sucked for years though.

Your best bets are:
- Epiphone Elitist, basically a mid-range Gibson, except 1)not chambered, 2)thicker poly finish which is more resistant to scratches and won't fade so fast, 3)you only get the Epi neck profile with it whereas with Gibson you can have their 60s or 50s neck.
- ESP Eclipse, about on-par with Gibsons if you buy the better ones, they're basically the same as the mid-range Gibsons except 1)not chambered, 2)slim ESP neck with larger fretwire, 3)stock pickups are usually Seymour Duncan passives or EMG active pickups.
- Tokai, same deal as the Epiphone Elitist basically, just in some areas they can cost a little less.
Also all three of those would be a better choice for hard rock and metal than the Gibson would be, because the Gibson Studio only comes with the thicker 50's neck, but those three brands all use slimmer necks (Tokai and Epi a bit thinner then the Gibson 50's, the ESP will be much thinner).

With the Studio, you're getting lower quality than those three, but you're paying more for it just because it has Gibson's name on the headstock. With a Gibson Standard you'd also be paying for the extra binding which isn't on the Studio, and you'd then also have the choice of a 60's or 50's neck, but I don't think that some extra plastic and the neck option is worth paying out twice as much for when guitars like those three brands exist.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i see ill look at that, I was also looking at PRS's could anyone suggest a good metal guiitar for that preferabley between 1000 - 1400 dollars please and what pups I should buy for it, once again a good metal tone or heavier

cheeers <333
what amp do you have....and don't change your pick ups until you here the guitar into your set up
ive got a marshall mg, small one, pretty **** i need a new amp to which ill be buying, I do band pratices with a stacked marshallJCM i think it is, not sure
If I do buy the studio les paul could any suggest a good set of pups for it please
Get the amp first

/thread

(For metal, a JCM is very good, but also a Bugera 6262)
1. yeah
2. yes. you get good sustain because it is heavy, which some people would say is worth it. swap ou the pickups though.
3. ampwise.. you want a tube amp. peavey valveking is good but it's not really a metal amp. same with vox the half-tube vox's i mean. it's hard to get a cheap amp for real hard heavy metal.

i'd recommend les paul studio only if it's used slightly. the retail price is helluva rip. you can fin d a good clean one for like 750 (give or take a little) bucks on ebay or less on craigslist.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
... the retail price is helluva rip. you can fin d a good clean one for like 750 (give or take a little) bucks on ebay or less on craigslist.

Or $800 new with a Gibson hard shell case at Guitar Center during major holidays' sales events.

I owned a les paul studio. It was white w/ gold hardware. Finish was great, neck was great, pickups were the same as an LP standard, and it wasn't too bad on my back. Great guitar, never had a problem with it, people around here talk too much biased crap against them. Go play one, if you like it, buy it. If you are looking for metal tones, go buy a dual rec.
cheers for all the comments lads , I have an SG in the home but have never really been a fan of it for some reason. Any idea on good pups on a studio gibson ?
any one with any decent pups on a studio gibson ? heavier metal music and sub genres , some sort of EMGs im guessing
dudes theres like nothing wrong with les pauls studios
i dont see why theres so many ppl hating against them.

mine sounds great, even through an mg.
I own and have owned several Les pauls, the studio is just a stripped down version. it doesn't have all the extras. nothing wrong with it. the standards and higher end les pauls will have a better resale value. ..don't worry about pickups untill you have actually played the guitar for a while.each guitar has subtle differences.
dude try the dimarzio super distortion on it. or maybe x2n.

anyway, abt the gibson les paul studio, i'll nvr buy one first hand. i own one and its 2nd hand, but the first owner nvr touched it so it looks brand new. finish wise, it sucks, gibsons qc is getting worst by the day. epiphone elitist will do the job just as well as a gibson. i dont recommend this guitar unless u're brand concious. although some ppl are biased against gibson, it remains a fact that gibson IS a overrated brand with inflated prices and deteriorating quality.

i recommend this brand of les pauls. burny, edwards or tokai. they are japanese brands and ppl will mistake ur sound for a gibson. it can match a gibson pretty well and it only is about a third of what a gibson costs. and not to mention, the finishes of their guitars are superb
oh yeah abt the weight, somehow mine is damn heavy, much heavier than other studios i've tried.. strange.. as in REALLY heavy. almost like gibson forgot to chamber the body. but its only mine. other les paul studios have pretty decent weight.
Quote by aedmiston
dont buy low end gibsons
anything less than a standard and youre getting jipped
get an epiphone elitist
those can hold their own agains most gibsons

now for your answers

1. most les pauls are pretty heavy

2. sorta. swap the pups and it'll be much better

3. well if youre getting a good guitar like that your amp better cost no less than $600
and it depends on what you plan on playing

Anything less than a Standard is a jip? I hope you're kidding. The Gibson les paul standard is THE biggest jip in musical instruments. Especially considering that the plain top Gibson R8 (FAR FAR FAR superior guitar, is only a few hundred more). Gibson USA (standard production line) puts out more lemons than a lemonade stand these days. The difference? Getting a lemon on the studio will cost $1200 less than a bad standard. I'm not exactly sure where the bashing of the studios and classics came from. The classics are just standards with a plain maple cap, and the studios are just classics without the binding.

Now, the Epiphone Elitist is a very good guitar, it would hold its own against a Gibson les paul studio through standard in terms of build and quality. I will not argue with that. A person buying a new Gibson needs to be very wary as their quality control has gone down in the last 10 years. However, Gibsons have one distinguishing quality in that they hold their value.

To the original poster.

Buy used. The Gibson les paul studios of the 90s were terrific guitars. Played well, sounded good, and built well. Thats not to say that a new one will not also play well, sound good or is poorly built, but I'll give you a bit of advice, do not buy off musician's friend. Also, new standard production Gibsons have this weight relief system that I cannot get used to.

Before I buy ANY guitar, I try it. No exceptions at all, I will never buy off musician's friend, I will go to a store, if they don't have a model, I will have them order it for me and I will try it before I buy it. I was 14 when I bought my first Gibson les paul (the studio actually). I went through two brand new guitars before I finally settled on one that I liked. The first one did not sound good unplugged, it did not resonate well and did not sustain well and I didn't even plug it in before I told them I wasn't going to pay $1100 for the guitar (they were cheaper at the time). Second one had finish and setup problems, again, it went back, and finally I was able to get a guitar that I felt was worth the I had paid for it.

Since then I've realized one thing. Gibsons have two inherent problems in all their guitars (from the $500 special to the $6000 R9). 1) their stock pickups are **** (their hot alnicos and burstbuckers alike, all sound like ****). 2) their stock potentiometers are ****. But those are user replaceable. Over the past 6 years, over $500 have gone towards various aftermarket pickups, and $150 has gone towards an RS kit. Playing the guitar unplugged is very important, how a guitar sounds unplugged tells you about its quality of build, quality of materials, things a player cannot change about the guitar.

Edit: Also, to answer about the weight issue.

My guitar weighs about 12.5 lbs. I bought mine back in 2002, so there wasn't weight chambering at the time.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 14, 2008,