im wondering?
because my dad (im 15) suggested i learn all the chords, modes, triads etc. so i become a better bassist.

can anyone give me any advanatages/disadvantages of these methods.

i brought this up because i mainly play metal and its seems to me that metal dont have chords/scales. they just have really fast music.

HELP!?
Metal draws influence from all sorts of stuff; jazz (with some of the beats), blues, and classical.
Learning scales will mean that you'll be better at improvising and soloing.
Playing in key is important too. Lessons will also make you better technically.
The only downside to lessons is the fact that you have to commit to it both time-wise and financially.

TL;DR Take lessons.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
its very helpful especially for improv. cool riffs are usually born from improvsing, and understanding what you're playing in terms of theory helps you progress a song along in the way you intend/imagine it. playing in key, knowing some chords and their progression, and scales are great tools for any musician. you might get hooked and persue to learn as much as possible, and you might find yourself making masterpieces if you get really into it! as for myself, i just study little by little, but practice > theory

using the internet to learn music theory is convenient, you'd be surprised to see all of the advanced theory available for free online.

check out justinguitar.com and this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6490975382658539247&hl=en
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Quote by bunterrr
im wondering?
because my dad (im 15) suggested i learn all the chords, modes, triads etc. so i become a better bassist.

i brought this up because i mainly play metal and its seems to me that metal dont have chords/scales. they just have really fast music.

HELP!?

That makes no sense whatsoever.....What do you think that really fast music is based off of or an exact copy of?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you think metal doesnt use scales, then yes you do need theory lessons.

Metal bass playing can be as intricate as you want, or you can just play whatever the guitarist plays. Theory (and lessons) gives you the tools to build more interesting parts and write more complicated riffs.

Learning of any kind has no disadvantage unless you enjoy your ignorance.
If you think that theory wouldn't help, thats a pretty clear indicator that theory would help.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
okay well then i take that back. metal uses scales, okay. but what i meant is, metal is mainly driven by ostinatos and repetition i.e. basically the note of whatever key you play in and whatever else is put into the song to make it sound different. i guess it also depends on what sort of "metal" you listen to. well me, i listen to a bit of everything, from Hardcore to black metal.

but thank you all for your input.
oh and if i was going to do this theory, i would use the "bass guitar for dummies". ive got a copy, read through it and tried some of the triads and modes in there, and its a really good book and covers everything. could anyone give me any feedback on that?? or if you dont have a copy go to a book store and flick through it and tell me if i could do it all myself with that??

thank you all
oh yeah, and does anyone want to voice their opinion on slap bass in metal. i mean i rekon slaps and pops sounds awesome, and could made ,music sound sinister, and so want input. i just play with a pick at the moment
Quote by bunterrr
im wondering?

HELP!?
lolwut?
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you ’cause
With the birds I’ll share...
Oh dear, take lessons please. We don't need bass players that don't know a thing about theory.
If metal didn't use scales it would either be one note repeated for ever, or ****

Quote by bunterrr
oh yeah, and does anyone want to voice their opinion on slap bass in metal. i mean i rekon slaps and pops sounds awesome, and could made ,music sound sinister, and so want input. i just play with a pick at the moment

The guy from Mudvayne uses slap quite a bit
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
the other day someone asked the correct way to play an Iron Maiden song. I told him to just use the normal scale position for natural minor (which is also called aeolian) because that's all it was.

I'm literally disturbed by the amount of people who said "metal has no theory". I'm just going to let you guys listen to your extremely heavy theoryless metal (...uh. Ratt? lol) and keep on rocking.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by destroy_techno
Metal does use scales

There are NO disadvantages, people saying that the "rules" tie you down are downright retarded.. Scales are a great tool for riffery, and with greater knowledge you can make your parts more interesting

he's right listen to him
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by UtBDan
the other day someone asked the correct way to play an Iron Maiden song. I told him to just use the normal scale position for natural minor (which is also called aeolian) because that's all it was.

I'm literally disturbed by the amount of people who said "metal has no theory". I'm just going to let you guys listen to your extremely heavy theoryless metal (...uh. Ratt? lol) and keep on rocking.

But you couldn't find metal that doesn't use theory
Quote by hippiebass
But you couldn't find metal that doesn't use theory

Metal has structure and theory in place. It is just used in more unorthoox ways. There are still intervals between the notes they play, and as long as that is around, theory can be used to explain the created effect. Hence, you can use theory to create that effect.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i'm not even going to dignify this thread with a response
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Sweeps in modes ring a bell?

Listen to your father.
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Quote by gm jack
Metal has structure and theory in place. It is just used in more unorthoox ways. There are still intervals between the notes they play, and as long as that is around, theory can be used to explain the created effect. Hence, you can use theory to create that effect.

I know; Dan was saying go listen to theoryless metal, and I was saying all metal has theory.
Quote by ChemicalFire
If metal didn't use scales it would either be one note repeated for ever, or ****

The guy from Mudvayne uses slap quite a bit
Quote by destroy_techno
But the music blows

Listen to Cryptopsy for some mean use of slap in metal

yeah i knew that, and can play half of dig and **** like that.

thanks guys, ill look up some more cryptopsy.

ps dont cannibal corpse use slap as well??
but thanks guys, i got the answers i want. and some i didnt, but eh, **** happens.
Last edited by bunterrr at Jul 8, 2008,