I don't know if this is a problem with my pinky or not but I have noticed since i started playing guitar almost seven months ago, my pinky will touch strings other than the one I am fretting. Anyone else have a problem with this? My other fingers used to do it to a degree, but not like my pinky and my other fingers have lost that habit by now. I can't really describe it, it's just that, say i fret the 5th fret 2nd string, part of the pad of my pinky will lightly touch the 1st string. I guess in a way its muting that string, but im wondering how it will affect my playing in the long run. Any input? Thanks
that's just something you have to deal with when it comes to pinkies. if you keep practicing it should go away though.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
To solve this, I kind of automatically keep my pinking under the neck. Only for stuff like Sabbath riffs though, simpler stuff.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
all you can really do is practice and find your own ways of fixing it. But try not to tuck it under the fretboard, because it may become problematic later on. I used to do this and had to break the habit in order to play faster/cleaner-since my pinky didnt want to just hover above the strings when it was idle, i would have to bring it back up when i needed it.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
um i think u guys have the wrong idea
he says when he's using the pinky to fret, he will also fret the bottom strings (physically)

well, im guessing that only happens when you stand up?
cuz if you have ur guitar too low, you will have to stretch your whole hand to get to some strings, resulting in flat fingers

if its happening to u when sitting down, then i really have no idea
cuz its pretty hard to have flat fingers when you play sitting down, unless its one of the lower strings, then you might

another question, how old are you, cuz if your fingers are tiny, then that could be the problem
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Samai
um i think u guys have the wrong idea
he says when he's using the pinky to fret, he will also fret the bottom strings (physically)

well, im guessing that only happens when you stand up?
cuz if you have ur guitar too low, you will have to stretch your whole hand to get to some strings, resulting in flat fingers

if its happening to u when sitting down, then i really have no idea
cuz its pretty hard to have flat fingers when you play sitting down, unless its one of the lower strings, then you might

another question, how old are you, cuz if your fingers are tiny, then that could be the problem

Yea that's what I meant^^^ sorry for not making that clearer. But I'm 19 and I do have smallish hands but my fingers are kinda long. I notice that it does happen when i sit down as well as stand up. It's not as bad if i play really really slow and concentrate really hard. Could my action maybe be too high? I'll try to get a pic up later to hopefully let you guys actually see what im talking about.
Last edited by rockadoodle at Jun 6, 2008,
I knew a guy with a similar problem. He ended up having to tie his pinky back to his wrist.
Quote by rockadoodle
Yea that's what I meant^^^ sorry for not making that clearer. But I'm 19 and I do have smallish hands but my fingers are kinda long. I notice that it does happen when i sit down as well as stand up. It's not as bad if i play really really slow and concentrate really hard. Could my action maybe be too high? I'll try to get a pic up later to hopefully let you guys actually see what im talking about.

yeah it could very well be the action

when this happens, does the pinky MUTE or actually FRET the string
FRET as in, does it sound when you pluck that string

if its just muting, then it could be ur action

if its fretting, then it has to be your technique
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Quote by Samai
yeah it could very well be the action

when this happens, does the pinky MUTE or actually FRET the string
FRET as in, does it sound when you pluck that string

if its just muting, then it could be ur action

if its fretting, then it has to be your technique

No, it doesn't fret at all, it's just basically a light touch, enough to mute the string but not enough to make a sound if i were to pluck it.
Quote by rockadoodle
No, it doesn't fret at all, it's just basically a light touch, enough to mute the string but not enough to make a sound if i were to pluck it.

so wut are you trying to fix?

is it because it gets in the way of plucking those strings that are muted?

if so, try pushing ur elbow outwards
away from urself, towards the guitar neck

that adjusts ur hand angle, which might be the problem
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Ok, I've got a pic of what I'm talking about. Hopefully it will make it easier to visualize. If you need another pic, let me know and ill see what I can do. Im using smaller gauge strings so the high E is hard to see in the pic. Bear in mind that my pinky is not fretting, just lightly touching the string below it.

Pic
oh ic
the action looks fine

you can try using the tip of ur pinky to fret instead of the 'meat'
also, like i said, move ur elbow forward

im not really sure wut the problem is
as long as it's not affecting ur playing, it's fine
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Ok, thanks for the info. I've been trying to use the tip of my pinky more. The string contact is still there but not as much. It is gonna take alot of practice to get my pinky fretting with the tip. There seems to be alot of precision involved. But, it hasn't affected my playing so far, so I'm gonna try not to worry about it.