I heard that tube amps are really only best for playing shows, and im sure they r but i was hoping they would still be good for recording and practice. is this true? the gear i have right now is a Gibson ES-335 and a Vox AD50 (soild). i have been wanting a tube amp for a while and i have it narrowed down to a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 or a Fender 65 twin reverb (which will take forever to save for). but anyways should i just stay with the gear i got or should i get the tube. and which tube do u think is better. i played the hotrod deville and i loved it, it had a great bluesy tone and great gain tone, a good mix for some dirty blues. i havent played the Twin yet but i see alot of big bands play those, such as my favorite guitarist (Jack White).
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Unless you live in an apartment, you'll probably be fine; though an OD pedal to push the tubes a bit is a good alternative to turning up. My FAB Overdrive does the job really well for a $15 plastic stompbox.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Definitely go with the tube amp; for just quiet practice they're not ideal but for recording and gigging you want the best tone you can get so tube is the way to go.

For practice tone doesn't matter much as long as you can hear your mistakes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would go tube. Tubes are the best amps for pretty much any situation, not just live. Best for recording, best for jamming, best for anything. They sound much warmer, the OD sounds really nice and natural, much better than any SS amp.
Yeah. pretty much tubes are good all around. Some people dont like them for recording because theyre more prone to feedback, though this is easily remedied by turning your amp off of 11.
As for which amp, if you play the Twin Rev. then your gonna want to save every penny.
people with large sig's are clearly compensating for something.
if you get one of those Fenders will you keep your Vox or sell/trade it?

i ask cause they are loud a hell. don't get me wrong, i love them too but way too loud for home/bedroom imo. attenuator like SeanHart mentioned may work if you have the extra bucks 'cause they are like $250+ i think.

i'm not trying to sidetrack you, especially if you are really only into blues and cleans. but, yes tubes are good for shows, recording, and practicing for all the reasons mentioned above.

;
I have a Twin Reverb, and I reckon your far better off with that than the Deville. However, you'll definitely want an overdrive pedal - even with mine cranked i can only get light overdrive. I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 and that sounds fantastic with my twin.
I understand that its a very loud amp, but IMO the twin will be better for practising.
The way the Fender Hot Rod Series are set up, when you turn up the volume control it doesn't go up 'smoothly', if you get me. So difference between 3 and 4 on the volume knob will be far greater than the volume difference between 8 and 9, for example. From what ive found, those amps are nearly at full volume by 4 or 5. So for practise, you have to find that point between 0.5 and 0.6 where its audible, but doesn't blast your face off.
The Twin Reverb, on the other hand, has a more 'linear' volume control. So its easier to find a suitable volume for practising. I normally play in my bedroom with it at about 1.5 -2.

But either way, go for tube, all the way.

EDIT: Looking at your guitars, you might be able to get more overdrive from the twin with humbuckers, as i only play a tele and a strat.
And BTW, its liek a guitar sin to play that gibson through a crappy amp
Last edited by scott__ at Jun 7, 2008,
As has been said, a tube amp is good for all occasions, but I would keep the Vox to play with at home/jamming because it's a lot lighter and easier to move than a twin reverb or a hotrod deville.

Also look into the Fender Blues Deville. I think it has warmer, fuller cleans than the hot rod. Also, most people don't like the second gain channel on the HRD (including me), and that is the only feature that separates the Blues and the Hotrod. And it comes in blonde tweed.