Once again i come to the guys in the forum at UG for advice. It's helped alot. I recently purchased a sony pc studio and now i need some type usb interface to record vocals/guitar/keyboard/ etc. I heard m-audio was cheap and easy to use. I also am interestd in a small mixing board. Any suggestions?......
Try the Riffs & Recordings forum; you'll get more and better help there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
What is your budget?

Because if you are serious about getting everything you need for even small home studio, you're going to need more than you think.

Here is a list of basic equipment and a low cost yet still acceptable example.

In addition to a computer compatible with your DAW;

an interface: Digidesign Mbox 2 is very nice and still relatively cheap
a recording program: ProTools LE 7.4 is included with all Digidesign products (ProTools M-powered is included with all M-Audio interfaces)
studio monitors: Fostex PM0.4 is a nice and inexpensive set
mic's: AT3035 is a good mic, also look into the Shure drum mic package, it has 3 SM57's and a Beta 52. The 57s are good for micing instruments as well as vocals and drums and the beta 52 is great for kick and bass.
Headphones: For overear look at Audio Technica ATH-M50, for inear try Shure SCL2
MIDI controller: Check out the M-Audio Axiom 25

Those are the essentials for a home studio, i mean the minimum requirement for a computer based recording system.

Most (i've yet to come across one that doesn't) programs like ProTools, Logic, or Cubase, have digital mixers, however, most interfaces don't have the required inputs for a live recording (recording all the parts at the same time), which would require you get a mixer. Keep in mind, if you run everyone through a mixer and then into stereo channels on an interface, you'd have to do all the mixing before you recorded the final take.

If this is what you are going to do, you'll need a mixer with enough inputs for all the instruments.

For now lets assume, just to be safe, that you have 2 guitarists, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer. And let's say two members of the band sing.

Thats:
3 instrument mic's (2 guitars and bass)
2 vocal mic's (singers)
2 direct ins (key's have a stereo output)
5 drum mic's (kick, snare, hi-hat, and two overheads)

which means you need a 10 XLR input mixer with at least 2 more 1/4" inputs

lets say, a Yamaha MG166C

We won't worry about you having the mic's to do that, you can borrow those from someone.

**************THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING***********************

Do not buy low quality equipment! Cheap Equipment = Cheap Sounding Results Save up for good equipment and you will be happy! If not you can always sell the stuff and get your money back.

When I was first starting out, this site helped alot - TweakHeadz.com

Please Check it out!

- Andrew