i know that there are small, medium and large thicknesses of picks
and that they come in every color you can imagine

but do they affect the sound in a significant way?
like the material it's made of, etc
Epiphone G400
Ibanez GSR200
Peavey Mark III

They do effect the tone, but not very drastically. Although the difference between say, a coin, and a .60mm pick is definitely going to sound alot different.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
for me even 1.00 mm tortex is completely different than a 1.00mm Stubby.

so size like ^ said size and material will make a big difference.
SRV R.I.P.
Quote by MakeItWitChu
They do effect the tone, but not very drastically. Although the difference between say, a coin, and a .60mm pick is definitely going to sound alot different.

Nice sig

I didn't know the pick actually affects the tone. i don't notice a difference.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
All down to what they're made of and thickness. In some cases, the pick almost IS the tone, look at The Edge from U2, part of the reason his sound is so distinctive is because he uses dimpled picks to grate the strings as he picks them. Part of the reason Yngwie Malmsteen has such clear attack for each note is because he uses quite heavy picks (about 1.5mm). Picks make little differences that can be used to create huge ones, well worth experimenting with.
it mostly effects the initial sound of the string... once the string is vibrating it doesnt matter what hit it but the difference in material and thickness greatly impact the initial tone.
My gear:
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Ibanez AEL 50 SERLV
Peavey XXL Half Stack
yeah like a very thin floppy pick won't sound as good as a hard one since it doesn't quite hit the note to it's full potential.
Quote by TechnicolorType
yeah like a very thin floppy pick won't sound as good as a hard one since it doesn't quite hit the note to it's full potential.
thin picks are better for chords however
yeah, but still not really those extremely floppy picks..

but like try playing a chord with a real thick 1.5m pick or something.. you have to very lightly get the edge of it.. so I guess there's a plus and a minus to both.
Quote by black-sabbath
Nice sig

I didn't know the pick actually affects the tone. i don't notice a difference.

Ha, thank you.

I couldnt help but sig that.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)